+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reveived copr paperwork

FairyRaichu

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
So I sent out my passport photocopies and my 2 pictures last friday, and received my copr papers today in the mail. I am looking at it and have a few questions.

So under application details, it says "issued date: 2017/06/19" and then "valid to: 2018/03/22". What does that exactly mean?

Also, under medical details it says "surveillance code: 1". is that bad?

Under validity, it says "you must arrive in Canada on or before this date" is that the 2018/03/22?

I am currently in Canada as a visitor (got an extension a couple of months ago), and am confused on the instructions. on this website I have read that people "land" in Canada, and that they took a plane. But in my instructions it says:

If you are residing in canada: If you are already residing in canada as a temporary resident, you have 2 options to become a permanent resident.

1. For the convenience of becoming a permanent resident at a Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) office near your place of residence in Canada, please contact CIC's Call Centre as soon as possible to arrange your appointment.

Is that telling me that I don't have to go to a Port of entry (fly in) and that all I have to do is just make an appointment and thatll be my landing interview and I'll sign the PR paperwork there?

My VO was ottawa, so does that mean I will have to go to Ottawa to get my interview, or do they have something closer to Toronto (around where I am living)

also, do I need to bring anything special to the interview, other than the paperwork I received that I need to sign?

Last edited:

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
The dates on your COPR for validity and such match your medical validity. If you do not officially land in Canada on or before the expiration date you will need to do the process from scratch again.

It means that you would need to make an appointment at your local CIC landing office in Toronto to do a landing and become official. It would be far easier, and faster, if you drove to the nearest border and did a "flagpole" landing at the US border.

FairyRaichu

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
The dates on your COPR for validity and such match your medical validity. If you do not officially land in Canada on or before the expiration date you will need to do the process from scratch again.

It means that you would need to make an appointment at your local CIC landing office in Toronto to do a landing and become official. It would be far easier, and faster, if you drove to the nearest border and did a "flagpole" landing at the US border.
Are the interview appointments always scheduled really far out? I don't get what a flagpole landing is and why it would be easier. so the expiration date would be 2018/03/22?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Are the interview appointments always scheduled really far out? I don't get what a flagpole landing is and why it would be easier. so the expiration date would be 2018/03/22?
Nobody on here obviously has insight into any CIC office schedule so you would need to contact them to find out.

There are plenty of posts on here concerning flagpoling which basically means you travel to a Canada/US land border, cross to the US border post where you declare to US CBP that you are flagpoling at which point they give you an admin refusal of entry to the US which has no impact to any future US entries. With this piece of paper in hand you return to the Canadian side and tell CBSA you want to process your landing and they proceed to process your paperwork there and then.

Be aware though there are various posts on this forum that CBSA are not processing immigration landings or permits at weekends (Friday through Monday inclusive) during the summer due to traffic volumes crossing the US/Canada land border, so weekdays only through summer.

FairyRaichu

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
Nobody on here obviously has insight into any CIC office schedule so you would need to contact them to find out.

There are plenty of posts on here concerning flagpoling which basically means you travel to a Canada/US land border, cross to the US border post where you declare to US CBP that you are flagpoling at which point they give you an admin refusal of entry to the US which has no impact to any future US entries. With this piece of paper in hand you return to the Canadian side and tell CBSA you want to process your landing and they proceed to process your paperwork there and then.

Be aware though there are various posts on this forum that CBSA are not processing immigration landings or permits at weekends (Friday through Monday inclusive) during the summer due to traffic volumes crossing the US/Canada land border, so weekdays only through summer.
So me and my husband are planning on leaving today for the Niagara falls border. What will I need to bring with me? I have an official document from Canada with my 1 year extension on it that they mailed me. Do I bring that?

Last edited:

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
So me and my husband are planning on leaving today for the Niagara falls border. What will I need to bring with me? I have an official document from Canada with my 1 year extension on it that they mailed me. Do I bring that?
No. All you need is your COPR and your passport. The extension is irrelevant. As soon as you land it becomes null and void. You can bring it if you wish, but all you NEED to land officially is your COPR and passport.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Don't forget to take the completed B4 (or whatever it's called now) form if you plan to bring anything into the country later.