+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada without PR Card but with sufficient proof of status as PR

ravdg

Mar 26, 2013
Hello everyone. I understand that one needs a Travel Document in order to re-enter Canada without their PR Card. But what if circumstances prohibit you from obtaining one? In my case I am a Philippine Passport holder but will be traveling to Thailand for only a week, and then to the Philippines for another. To make this easier to respond to, I will write a list of questions.

1) I plan to submit for an application for a travel document as soon as I land in Thailand, but whether or not they will accept applications from non-Thailand citizens is unclear to me. Can anyone clarify this for me?

2) If for any reason I am unable to obtain a Travel Document in Thailand I will apply for one in the Philippines. But if they can't process it in time I still plan to get my passport back to be able to board the plane back to Canada. Will they let me on the plane without a PR Card? I have a Certified True Copy of my PR Card (valid until October 2014) issued by the Canada Border Services Agency-Immigration in YVR Airport last May 2012.

I also have the following documents as proof of my status as Permanent Resident:

a) Government of Canada Social Insurance Number Card
b) British Columbia Care Card
c) Notice of Tax Assessments from the past 4 years
d) Certified True Copy of my last PR Card issued by CBSA-Immigration Vancouver International Airport
e) Proof of Employment
f) My original (expired) passport with the initial Canada Visa I was issued upon approval of my application to migrate to Canada as a Permanent Resident
g) Bank Statements with my name and address as proof of address

So there. I do plan to go through the proper channels and obtain a valid Travel Document, but should time constraints or other things make me unable to do so I want to know if I will still be able to board the plane back to begin with, and if airport security in YVR will let me through. I don't mind being held in the airport to be questioned for a few hours, I understand that's just Immigration doing their job. I suppose what I'm asking here is, what are my chances of being let through or getting deported?