+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada with different name on PR Card than passport

Apr 16, 2019
We are in the same situation I hope somebody replies to this
My wife is also PR. Her passport is getting expired in Dec' 21 (expiry due in 10 months)
She is traveling to Toronto on 9th April' 21 as well.
Now I have 2 ways to go about it-
1) If I get her passport renewed in India-
Will she be able to re-enter Canada with the old passport with her maiden name + PR card with her maiden name + new passport with the changed name?
2) if we DONOT renew it in India-
and she has to get her ticket postponed to say June for some reason (mostly COVID/to avoid institutional quarantine)
will she be allowed to travel with her passport that is due to expire in under 6 months keeping in mind her PR status.

rifo94

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
We are in the same situation I hope somebody replies to this
My wife is also PR. Her passport is getting expired in Dec' 21 (expiry due in 10 months)
She is traveling to Toronto on 9th April' 21 as well.
Now I have 2 ways to go about it-
1) If I get her passport renewed in India-
Will she be able to re-enter Canada with the old passport with her maiden name + PR card with her maiden name + new passport with the changed name?
2) if we DONOT renew it in India-
and she has to get her ticket postponed to say June for some reason (mostly COVID/to avoid institutional quarantine)
will she be allowed to travel with her passport that is due to expire in under 6 months keeping in mind her PR status.
Hello, can you tell me your process? We have the same situation here. My wife has her PR card with her maiden name and passport on her new last name. Thank you!

Shaylla

Jan 2, 2022
Hi I have the same situation my passport is about to expire on November of this year and Im going to renew and change my lastname to my married name this month but in my pr card I did not yet change my last name and it will going to expire on August,2023. Im planning to renew my PR card and change my last name this year but I’m afraid if the process of renewal will be take so long during this pandemic because I’m planning to travel back home and stay for a couple of months. My question is can I still enter canada with different last name in my pr card and my new passport

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi I have the same situation my passport is about to expire on November of this year and Im going to renew and change my lastname to my married name this month but in my pr card I did not yet change my last name and it will going to expire on August,2023. Im planning to renew my PR card and change my last name this year but I’m afraid if the process of renewal will be take so long during this pandemic because I’m planning to travel back home and stay for a couple of months. My question is can I still enter canada with different last name in my pr card and my new passport
You should be okay with the marriage certificate (because it should show maiden name then name after marriage) or similar, anything that attests to the legal change of name (which is the marriage cert if in a jurisdiction where you can do that).

Other supporting docs and ids that have/show both incl old passport can help.

BUT: it's the airline that will likely be the issue (if any), so check with them.

Shaylla

Jan 2, 2022
You should be okay with the marriage certificate (because it should show maiden name then name after marriage) or similar, anything that attests to the legal change of name (which is the marriage cert if in a jurisdiction where you can do that).

Other supporting docs and ids that have/show both incl old passport can help.

BUT: it's the airline that will likely be the issue (if any), so check with them.

Shaylla

Jan 2, 2022
So I don’t have any problem with the CBSA? Just only the airline that I need to check regarding this issue. Thank you so much for your help.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So I don’t have any problem with the CBSA? Just only the airline that I need to check regarding this issue. Thank you so much for your help.
From what I have seen from others - once you are in country at passport control, CBSA seems to get it - if they see you are you and it's just a change of name due to marriage, it's not hard for them. And the officers can make decisions.

Airlines a bit more random and it's automated, and it's easier for them to be afraid and deny. So anyway I'd be more concerned about the airline.

Neither of these are guarantees of course - at your own risk - but it seems to mostly work.

(By the way you don't say but I was assuming your marriage certificate is Canadian or at least in English or French - if from some foreign jurisdiciton you'd need a certified translation and that might introduce some 'is this document valid?' stuff that likely wouldn't with a Canadian document).

Anand2021

Star Member
Feb 26, 2021
Hi All, anyone of you who faced this issue, can you please confirm if you landed in Canada with a different name on your Passport and PR card?

Anand2021

Star Member
Feb 26, 2021
UPDATE (for anyone who finds this post later via search)

We submitted our urgent request for the PR card but have heard nothing. So we figured getting a PR TD while abroad was the only route.

I was reviewing the application form, but there is no option for any kind of name change on the form. I emailed the embassy in Tokyo again and informed them of this and they replied to me with this response.

We have now confirmed with Canada Border Services Agency that it is possible to travel with the current valid PR card even though your wife’s name has legally changed.
The card remains valid and can be presented to the airline at check-in to board a flight back to Canada. She may be asked the reason why her name is different and should simply explain that her name has changed due to marriage.
Please disregard our previous advice to apply for a PRTD as this was based on an incorrect understanding of your spouse’s situation.
So it appears that everything should be fine and she will be able to travel freely. Thank you, everyone, for your help.
Hello, I know it's a very old post and I am not sure if you can still access this. But were you able to travel with different names on PR card and Passport?