Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015
My wife is a PR. She was able to get her passport changed to my last name. However, they are still processing her PR name change.

At this point, she has: her old (void) passport with her maiden name, her valid PR card with her maiden name and her new valid passport with her new name.

We will be travelling to Japan soon and her new PR card has not arrived, which means we are stuck with those three items.

Will she be able to re-enter Canada with those three items? Is there anything else we need to do?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife is a PR. She was able to get her passport changed to my last name. However, they are still processing her PR name change.

At this point, she has: her old (void) passport with her maiden name, her valid PR card with her maiden name and her new valid passport with her new name.

We will be travelling to Japan soon and her new PR card has not arrived, which means we are stuck with those three items.

Will she be able to re-enter Canada with those three items? Is there anything else we need to do?
Entering Canada is not an issue. You need to contact the airline to see what they require for her to board the plane. Generally, the marriage certificate is accepted but you need to confirm that.

Celcius

Jun 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015
Entering Canada is not an issue. You need to contact the airline to see what they require for her to board the plane. Generally, the marriage certificate is accepted but you need to confirm that.
Is that so? Great! Is there any info out there where I can confirm this?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Contact the airline directly given it is the airline you need to be concerned about given assume her ticket will be in the same name as her new passport. So you will I guess need to find out what the airline will accept to show a PRs name change, else get a PRTD from Japan in her married name

Celcius

Jun 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015

Celcius

Jun 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015
As I said, you need to contact the airline you are flying on to confirm.
Well... Air Canada was no help at all. They just told me whatever issue we have we have to take it up with immigration as it's not for them to decide.

Someone else recommended getting a PRTD, but that doesn't seem like it's the right answer either because there is no option to get one for a name change. Only for the name on your passport. I have no idea what to do at this point.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Well... Air Canada was no help at all. They just told me whatever issue we have we have to take it up with immigration as it's not for them to decide.

Someone else recommended getting a PRTD, but that doesn't seem like it's the right answer either because there is no option to get one for a name change. Only for the name on your passport. I have no idea what to do at this point.
Call back and get to a manager who can actually answer the question.

Celcius

Jun 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015
Call back and get to a manager who can actually answer the question.
I did, this time I called the Japanese side and they told me they would not allow her on the flight with what we have.

At this point, we appear to have two options.

1) Submit an urgent request for a PR name change to happen before we leave (only 30 days left before we leave)
2) Apply for a PRTD while in Japan and hope it gets done in time (only 8 business days in Japan) otherwise, she will have to change her flight (bring on the fees) and hope her boss is understanding of her tardy return.

I guess that is it. Thanks, everyone for your help. We now submit ourselves to our great overlords at the CIC once again, may they have mercy on our souls.

Celcius

Jun 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015
UPDATE (for anyone who finds this post later via search)

We submitted our urgent request for the PR card but have heard nothing. So we figured getting a PR TD while abroad was the only route.

I was reviewing the application form, but there is no option for any kind of name change on the form. I emailed the embassy in Tokyo again and informed them of this and they replied to me with this response.

We have now confirmed with Canada Border Services Agency that it is possible to travel with the current valid PR card even though your wife’s name has legally changed.

The card remains valid and can be presented to the airline at check-in to board a flight back to Canada. She may be asked the reason why her name is different and should simply explain that her name has changed due to marriage.
Please disregard our previous advice to apply for a PRTD as this was based on an incorrect understanding of your spouse’s situation.
So it appears that everything should be fine and she will be able to travel freely. Thank you, everyone, for your help.

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018

We submitted our urgent request for the PR card but have heard nothing. So we figured getting a PR TD while abroad was the only route.

I was reviewing the application form, but there is no option for any kind of name change on the form. I emailed the embassy in Tokyo again and informed them of this and they replied to me with this response.

We have now confirmed with Canada Border Services Agency that it is possible to travel with the current valid PR card even though your wife’s name has legally changed.

The card remains valid and can be presented to the airline at check-in to board a flight back to Canada. She may be asked the reason why her name is different and should simply explain that her name has changed due to marriage.
Please disregard our previous advice to apply for a PRTD as this was based on an incorrect understanding of your spouse’s situation.
So it appears that everything should be fine and she will be able to travel freely. Thank you, everyone, for your help.
We have the same predicament. My husband and I will travel to Paris this summer. And have not enough time for me to update my PR Card.
So with that response, Canada is fine with accepting valid PR card with maiden name but married name on foreign passport. I was also thinking of bringing with me my marriage cert. It should not hurt! Have a couple of questions for you. Hope you would be able to share you and your wife's experience with me.

1.Did your wife bring marriage certificate and present it to CBSA when asked?
2. At any one point, did border security agent in Japan asked your wife if she has PR Card and at the same time asked her for marriage certificate as supporting document to prove this name change?

Thanks!

snowl26

Feb 8, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
AOR Received.
17-05-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Passport Req..
30-06-3016
LANDED..........
28-07-2016

How did it end up going? Did you have any issues with AirCanada at the airport? I'm in the exact same situation as your wife. I didn't have enough time to update my pr card after I got my new passport with a new last name but will have to fly to Japan in a week or so.

Nic_CEC_Dec

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-12-2011
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
25-04-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Passport Req..
19-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
How did it end up going? Did you have any issues with AirCanada at the airport? I'm in the exact same situation as your wife. I didn't have enough time to update my pr card after I got my new passport with a new last name but will have to fly to Japan in a week or so.
Did this all work fine for you in the end? I have the same predicament as I'm traveling back to Canada on my Canadian PR Card (maiden name) and UK passport (married name). Did you take marriage cert/other proof with you and worked fine at Canadian border? Thank you !!

Nic_CEC_Dec

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-12-2011
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
25-04-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Passport Req..
19-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

Did this all work fine for you in the end? I have the same predicament as I'm traveling back to Canada on my Canadian PR Card (maiden name) and UK passport (married name). Did you take marriage cert/other proof with you and worked fine at Canadian border? Thank you !!