+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada to reside

Minchul

Apr 1, 2014
Hello,
Hope someone could help me clarifying something that came up.
I am planning to move back to Canada.
I was in conversation with a international moving company and they told me that I had to be residing in another
country for a minimum of one year in order to move back to Canada with my household items.
Something to the extent that because I went for a vacation last year, I might have issues.

I am a Canadian citizen.
I have lived in Korea for close to 9 years as a non-resident of Canada. I visited Canada for vacation less than one year ago.
I am planning to move back within one year of my last visit.
Moving company said there is a rule that I must be residing outside Canada for a minimum of 1 calender year to bring back
items (furniture, household, clothing etc...) without problems.
My stuff will be shipped by slowboat.

Does that mean my non-residency is voided because I visited, even if I have lived outside Canada for 9 years? Or is the moving company wrong?
It just doesn't make sense.
Couldn't find anything online with information.
I may have some issues with my slowboat shipment to Vancouver (customs, tax, duties)?

Thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the moving company is talking about the duties exemption upon a returning resident moving back to Canada. Your short visit to Canada does not count - so you probably move with your furniture, household, etc without duties.

There seems to be some problem with the CBSA website, which should give you some details on this.