+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada from Vietnam - Options, please

Zargon

Dec 23, 2013
Hello everyone. I hope someone can give me some advice here. Please forgive me in advance if the answers to my questions are obvious, but I have never had to deal with immigration issues before.

I am inquiring on behalf of a friend who lives in Vietnam. Here are the details:

She is a Vietnamese citizen, 24 years old, with a Bachelor's Degree in International Economics and Import/Export.

She came to Canada in 2012 on a Working Holiday program, with a 1-year open visa and worked at 3 different jobs. She loves Canada and wanted to stay but had to return because of family issues. Her visa expired in September, 2013, which is when she returned to Vietnam.

Currently she is employed there full-time but wants to return to Canada (she loves snow :) ).

Ideally, she would like to get an LMO, but I have been told that it is very difficult to get now. I was also told that it would be better for her to get a Visitor Visa and, if she finds an LMO while here, she can change her status.

However, when went to apply for a Visitor Visa, the agency told her that it would be difficult to get and there was an 80% chance of denial because she just returned in September.

Now, we are not sure what would be her best course of action.

She would be staying with my wife and me, so housing is not a problem. Nor would other expenses be an issue, as we will take care of her.

So, my questions are:

1. Should she apply for the Visitor Visa anyway and take the chance of denial?

2. If she is denied a Visitor Visa, can she still apply for other types of visas?

3. Could she apply for the Working Holiday program again? (I couldn't find out if it can be done more than once)

4. Should I get her an LMO and have her apply with that?

5. Are there any other programs that she might be able to use to come to Canada?

Although she is not biologically related to us, she is like a daughter to my wife and me. We love her dearly. I thought there was a way of sponsoring someone to come to Canada and being responsible for all expenses, but it seems that only applies to actual family. :(

Any help will be greatly appreciated.