+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada from UK

david_savard

Star Member
Mar 17, 2016
Hi All,

My wife (Recently received her COPR) and myself (Canadian Citizen) are returning to Canada after 5 years of living in the UK.

I am trying to figure out the different steps I need to take as I prepare to move back and I have a few questions:

1. How do we handle savings - Do we need to do anything specific? or can we just eventually transfer to a Canadian bank?
  2. Can we transfer our pensions from UK to a Canadian pension?
  3. I had to declare non residency in Canada in order to avoid double taxation - How do I claim back my residency?
  4. Is there a guide that could help me with this process so I don't forget anything or do something incorrectly?
I am sure there is 1000 other things I have no thought of yet and would appreciate any help i can get.

Thank you all!

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
Hi All,

My wife (Recently received her COPR) and myself (Canadian Citizen) are returning to Canada after 5 years of living in the UK.

I am trying to figure out the different steps I need to take as I prepare to move back and I have a few questions:

1. How do we handle savings - Do we need to do anything specific? or can we just eventually transfer to a Canadian bank?
  2. Can we transfer our pensions from UK to a Canadian pension?
  3. I had to declare non residency in Canada in order to avoid double taxation - How do I claim back my residency?
  4. Is there a guide that could help me with this process so I don't forget anything or do something incorrectly?
I am sure there is 1000 other things I have no thought of yet and would appreciate any help i can get.

Thank you all!
2. If you google ”transfer uk pension to canada” you will find many websites that discuss this process.

Other things to immediately consider are converting driver’s licenses and arranging health coverage, both of which depend on the province you plan to settle in.