+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada after US trip - passport stamping

brightnite

Mar 26, 2018
Hi,

I read in another forum post that the person entered Canada and did not get their passport stamped. This caused issues when they went for their oath:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/need-some-guesses-or-does-anyone-know-why-its-like-this.550881/

My wife is a PR and will be entering Canada (her citizenship app is pending). Should we ask the agents to stamp her passport to record the date? Or can we request her travel logs ahead of the citizenship interview just in case? Will be entering via YYZ btw.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
They may or may not agree to stamp her passport. If your wife is returning from the US she doesn't have her passport stamped from when she left there. Ensure you log the trip and keep the boarding pass that she got on the flight with. The burden of proof is on you. If she has already submitted her application it is likely they won't even mention this trip, however, best to keep up with travels until she has her certificate in hand.

I don't think it is necessary to request travel logs at this point in time.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I don't know about you, but my instinct when dealing with customs is to get it done as fast as possible and get the heck out of there. If they stamp my passport, fine. If they don't, I am not doing anything that is going to prolong my interaction with them any longer than necessary.

You can always order your entry/exit records from CBSA or US CBP later. They aren't guaranteed to be 100 percent accurate, but often times they are. One thing IRCC doesn't play with is if there is a stamp in your passport you didn't account for in your travel declarations. That's usually a red flag. Missing stamps (particularly for travel to the US) are generally not as huge a problem as IRCC recognizes that neither country is 100 percent on stamping passports for travel between the two, particularly at land borders.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi,

I read in another forum post that the person entered Canada and did not get their passport stamped. This caused issues when they went for their oath:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/need-some-guesses-or-does-anyone-know-why-its-like-this.550881/

My wife is a PR and will be entering Canada (her citizenship app is pending). Should we ask the agents to stamp her passport to record the date? Or can we request her travel logs ahead of the citizenship interview just in case? Will be entering via YYZ btw.
These days, the passports of PRs entering Canada are rarely ever stamped. That is not a problem since IRCC will, while processing the application, simply ask CBP to give them the list of entries. No worries, even if your passport isn't stamped, it is still being scanned and therefore your entry will show up in that list. I ordered my travel history (just to be sure) and confirmed: Although my passport doesn't get stamped anymore (neither at the land border nor at the automated kiosks at Pearson airport), still all entries to Canada are in the system.

Passport stamps are much more relevant for other countries (not Canada, not US), because for those countries, IRCC has no access to the immigration records.

Furthermore, your wife seems to be traveling AFTER the application was submitted. So it's even less of a worry. I think when the interviewer sees your wife sitting there at the interview, they will believe that she is in Canada right now, even without the stamp in her passport :)

There is no need to order travel logs.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
IRCC needs to get into current times here. Passport stamping is going away. My last trip to Korea, neither my wife or I got stamps. They actually gave us a separate slip of paper with a QR code on it as our entry record. And we got nothing when we exited the country. For IRCC to give people a hard time because of missing stamps... come on!