+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada after six years

megatijn

May 26, 2014
Hello all,

I have the following question, my ex girlfriend who is a Canadian citizen and holds a valid Canadian passport wishes to return to Canada.
The problem however is, that she has no friends or relatives living in Canada and she has very little money.... Just enough to make the trip back home to Canada and rent a place for 4 months at best. She was last working in Montreal for over a year in 2004 until she lost her job and moved to the Netherlands to be with me.... That relationship sadly ended and as said before, she wishes to return.

The basic question is, is she eligeble for Employment Insurance while looking for work after moving back to Canada ?

I've been trying to look for information that clearly answers my questions but am running into walls, even calling the embassey or trying to get a hold on the phone with someone in Canada has not been very helpful as I myself live in the Netherlands and currently my ex-girlfriend lives in Iran with her family but is not very happy over there..

I would be eternally grateful if some of you could help me with this...

Many thanks in advance!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She won't qualify for EI. EI is for people who were very recently working and lost their job. Ten years is too long.

If she needs support, she should be looking at Ontario Works (OW) instead which is social assistance.