+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada after 3 years

lizlin

Sep 29, 2009
Hi

I first 'landed' in Canada approx 3 years ago in 2010, and stayed for one month. I am now planning to return to Canada for good this Oct 2013 and have a few questions which I hope to get answers to:
1. My 'Goods to Follow' list - there is no stamp on the list, I am wondering how I will be able to ship some personal belongings over. Do I have to call Border Services and speak with them?

2. How do I bring in money to Canada? Am I still entitled to bring in large sums of cash as long as it is declared since I am a returning resident?

3. Do the electrical appliances (e.g. LCD TV) work in Canada? I am from Asia.

4. I did not receive my PR card before I left Canada, how long would it take now to re-apply?

Thanks in advance

orly

Star Member
Oct 9, 2012
Guelph, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2012
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
File Transfer...
09-01-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2013
LANDED..........
17-08-2013 (lived in Canada since 2012 though)
When did you land in 2010?

Make sure you are able to meet the 730 days requirement!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Yes, make sure you still meet the 730 days requirement.
2) You will have to hand your new goods to follow list to the CBSA officer at the airport and tell them the relevant shipping arrangements (after you hire the shipping compay in your home country and have documents such as bill of laden)
3) You can bring bank draft or cash. If amount greater than $10,000, you would need to declare. Fail to do so and get caught, the money would be seized and you would be fined. If you have a bank account in Canada, the easiest way is to wire the money to Canada. The bank will do the reporting for you.
4) Yes, they will work in Canada but you would have to buy a transformer in order to convert 220V to 110V. To me, I would just buy new ones from Canada.
5) Check the CIC website for the posted processing times for a new PR card.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
lizlin said:
Many of the new TV's are actually dual voltage, and will work perfectly here. I would suggest checking the back to make sure before you go through the hassle of selling and buying new tv's.

lizlin

Sep 29, 2009
Thanks for the replies, I am also wondering if anyone has experience shipping bedding and mattresses. If I am not mistaken used mattresses are not allowed to be brought in unless cleansed, what about pillows and duvets? Would these need to go through the same process?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lizlin said:
Thanks for the replies, I am also wondering if anyone has experience shipping bedding and mattresses. If I am not mistaken used mattresses are not allowed to be brought in unless cleansed, what about pillows and duvets? Would these need to go through the same process?
From my experience, I put my beddings and mattresses in one of my luggages and they don't even want to inspect them.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
steaky said:
From my experience, I put my beddings and mattresses in one of my luggages and they don't even want to inspect them.

WOW :eek: :eek: - you put your mattresses in your luggage??!!! :eek: :eek: Now, don't tell me it was carry on luggage!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
lizlin said:
Hi

I first 'landed' in Canada approx 3 years ago in 2010, and stayed for one month. I am now planning to return to Canada for good this Oct 2013 and have a few questions which I hope to get answers to:
1. My 'Goods to Follow' list - there is no stamp on the list, I am wondering how I will be able to ship some personal belongings over. Do I have to call Border Services and speak with them?

2. How do I bring in money to Canada? Am I still entitled to bring in large sums of cash as long as it is declared since I am a returning resident?

4. I did not receive my PR card before I left Canada, how long would it take now to re-apply? [font=Verdana]Would be interesting to know how you are going to enter Canada, do you have TD or Visa for Canada or you are from Visa exempt country?[/font]Thanks in advance

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Interesting scenario. Regarding your question # 4, are you from a visa exempt country? How r U planning to enter Canada without PR Card?

Good Luck.