+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning PR without PR card

delray

Jan 21, 2013
Recently asked this forum if I would be able to return to Canada with Landing Document , US passport, and supporting proof of PR obligation days and the replies were that once I have visa exempt status, I could be admitted at POE with a commercial carrier, as long as I have proof of time spent in Canada- 2yrs of the last five.
HOWEVER, I was able to get thru by phone to CIC call center and after speaking to supervisor was told that officially, only rentacar or private car crossing at land border is the only acceptable way of crossing without PR card. Otherwise, I am only opening myself to secondary questioning. Any feedback or personal experiences would be appreciated. Not much of a driver but I will try the rentacar one way at the border.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
delray said:
Recently asked this forum if I would be able to return to Canada with Landing Document , US passport, and supporting proof of PR obligation days and the replies were that once I have visa exempt status, I could be admitted at POE with a commercial carrier, as long as I have proof of time spent in Canada- 2yrs of the last five.
HOWEVER, I was able to get thru by phone to CIC call center and after speaking to supervisor was told that officially, only rentacar or private car crossing at land border is the only acceptable way of crossing without PR card. Otherwise, I am only opening myself to secondary questioning. Any feedback or personal experiences would be appreciated. Not much of a driver but I will try the rentacar one way at the border.
I responded on this initial query in the thread below

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t133290.0.html

1. When you travel on a commercial carrier they want to ensure you will be admitted to Canada..if you don't the carrier may liable for any fines and costs to return you to the starting point of your journey. Most commercial carriers require travellers to have a return/round trip ticket so that if you get bounced at the border you already pre-paid for your trip back home. If you are a Canadian citizen, PR Card holder or other long term visa status most commercial carriers will allow you to travel on a 1 way ticket as you are likely guaranteed entry (definite for Citizens).

2. Some airlines such as Air Canada (last time I checked) don't care if you have a 1 way ticket as long as you are visitor visa exempt to Canada..its their prerogative to take the risk that you will be admitted. I guess they take the view that most visitor visa exempt nationals are admitted and the few that are not don't impact on their profits. My take is they have a significant volume of PRs who are visitor visa exempt living in Canada but without PR Cards who have a round trip ticket to say the US and the return trip to Canada is not an issue.

3. Land border crossings give you the only realistic/ practical use of a non commercial carrier i.e. rental car, personal vehicle or foot crossing...this is why the agent said only entry via land border crossings can be without a PR Card...so why doesn't this work with greyhound..simply they are a commercial carrier.

4. I'd go with the law than what some CIC call center rep states buts its your call...the law says if you can provide proof of having being landed/granted PR and this has not been revoked you will be admitted into Canada. If you don't meet the RO then the admission could also involve you being reported.

5. If its easier to fly then get a return ticket and explain your situation at the airport if the agent asks - he/she may just admit you without any issues. Sorry whether you fly, coach, drive or walk you will just have to deal with this at the border else wait for your PR Card prior to travel or apply for a Travel Document in the US....you really are sweating this one out eh!!

delray

Jan 21, 2013
Thanks Msafiri, for helping me to understand my options but the call center supervisor explained I would go thru more rigorous secondary questioning at POE if I enter by commercial carrier. I have the necessary RO with documentation but after a long plane trip would rather not be grilled for information and don't want to run the risk of being reported.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
delray said:
Thanks Msafiri, for helping me to understand my options but the call center supervisor explained I would go thru more rigorous secondary questioning at POE if I enter by commercial carrier. I have the necessary RO with documentation but after a long plane trip would rather not be grilled for information and don't want to run the risk of being reported.
You would only get reported if it was obvious you fail the RO...seems you have enough documents as proof of presence. Secondary inspection is not necessarily a bad thing...they just have more time and access to databases than the primary line.

CanadaPR_2012

Oct 15, 2012
I am bit confused here. I have a quick question. I completed the landing about 10 days ago and planning to move to Canada in july 1st week. However, I may not receive the cards by that time. Can I go to Canada with the COPR? I appreciate the input.

Thank you

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaPR_2012 said:
I am bit confused here. I have a quick question. I completed the landing about 10 days ago and planning to move to Canada in july 1st week. However, I may not receive the cards by that time. Can I go to Canada with the COPR? I appreciate the input.

Thank you
If you can make it to the border/ port of entry then you can show immigration your COPR as proof of landing. As a new PR you have plenty of time to meet the Residence Obligation so entry should be smooth. The challenge for PRs without a PR Card is getting into Canada - ease is determined by if the PR is visitor visa exempt or non visitor visa exempt.

CanadaPR_2012

Oct 15, 2012
Msafiri said:
If you can make it to the border/ port of entry then you can show immigration your COPR as proof of landing. As a new PR you have plenty of time to meet the Residence Obligation so entry should be smooth. The challenge for PRs without a PR Card is getting into Canada - ease is determined by if the PR is visitor visa exempt or non visitor visa exempt.
Thank you for your prompt response. Can you please clarify specifically on my case- I am a new PR and flying to Canada in 1st week of july, and cards will not arrive by that time. Do I need to apply for a travel document? Thank you so much for your advice.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaPR_2012 said:
Thank you for your prompt response. Can you please clarify specifically on my case- I am a new PR and flying to Canada in 1st week of july, and cards will not arrive by that time. Do I need to apply for a travel document? Thank you so much for your advice.
If your nationality require a visitors visa to enter Canada and you intend to use a commercial carrier to return to Canada then you must appply for a TD. If you have a US visa and are not using a commercial carrier then then no need to apply ofr a TD proceed to a land border crossing with your COPR.

If you are visitor visa exempt then choice is yours if to use commercial or non commercial carrier...show your COPR to immigration at the land border/airport. Some commercial carriers may refuse to carry you if you do not have a return ticket though.