+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning PR after long absence

moose

Oct 19, 2009
Gday

I have looked through the other posts here and wander if anyone has any ideas on what is the best action in my somewhat sticky situation...

I have a PR card that expires in Jan 2010 and want to return to Canada, where my parents have become citizens. I've been away for over 4 years now partly because I didn't realise about the 730 day presence requirement and also because I met my partner followed her to Australia, got married and became an Australian citizen.

Now I'm not into doing anything dodgy, but I'd like to return with minimum questions about my absence.

We're traveling via the states and we both got B1/B2 visas to allow extended stay beyond 90 days on the continent.

My question is what is the best document to present to the IO at the border when crossing in car from the US? Should I show them my 1 yr old Aus passport with US visa in it or should I show them my original S.African passport and PR card (with no US visa). My sister's who's Canadian will be driving as we're doing a bit of a road trip.

From what I've read here, 2 years back in the country helps wipe the slate clean so it would be good to get another chance...

Any advice from anyone who's had similar experience or who knows what's best would be welcome.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As an Australian, do you require a visa to enter Canada? If not, can't you just come into Canada with your passport then stay for two years? Or you can just show your PR card at point of road entry. In most cases they do not ask for passports when you come by road.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just show your PR card. You are right, if you stay for 2 years, you will meet the residency requirements again and then you can apply to renew your PR card without any worries.

moose

Oct 19, 2009
Australians can visit Canada for up to 6 months without a visa, but surely this would mean scanning the passport at entry and possible questioning?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

moose said:
Australians can visit Canada for up to 6 months without a visa, but surely this would mean scanning the passport at entry and possible questioning?
It should be interesting how the op is going to explain Australian citizenship, an Australian wife, if he decides to sponsor her.

PMM

aussiepete

Oct 31, 2009
Whitehorse Yukon
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2005
File Transfer...
14-01-2006
Passport Req..
23-01-2006
VISA ISSUED...
27-01-2006
LANDED..........
23-03-2006
I live in Whitehorse Yukon and have been accross the border into Alaska and back about 40 times in the last 4 years. The border guards up here never ask any questions and I travel on an Aussie passport. I'm a PR ( just applied for Citizenship ) and have always been in status. They never scan your passport up here. If I was out of Status and wanted to get back into Canada it would be so easy. I would fly into Juneau Alaska and then take the ferry to Skagway. I would then drive to the Yukon. The customs at Fraser BC are always asleep and don't ask many questions. I would just tell them I was on Holidays and wanted look around the Yukon for a few weeks. It's only a 2 hour drive from Skagway to Whitehorse. Then you can jump on a plane to Edmonton or Vancouver for about $350 each.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aussiepete said:
I live in Whitehorse Yukon and have been accross the border into Alaska and back about 40 times in the last 4 years. The border guards up here never ask any questions and I travel on an Aussie passport. I'm a PR ( just applied for Citizenship ) and have always been in status. They never scan your passport up here. If I was out of Status and wanted to get back into Canada it would be so easy. I would fly into Juneau Alaska and then take the ferry to Skagway. I would then drive to the Yukon. The customs at Fraser BC are always asleep and don't ask many questions. I would just tell them I was on Holidays and wanted look around the Yukon for a few weeks. It's only a 2 hour drive from Skagway to Whitehorse. Then you can jump on a plane to Edmonton or Vancouver for about $350 each.
It makes sense. If you really think about it, Alaskans and Yukons are kinda thesame people. If not for the geo-political boundaries that Governments have set in place, they should be living as one. Also the population in that area is small. What is the point of wasting time and resources or even scanning passports? Someone living in Alaska might genuinely have to be in Yukon for a while and then go back to Alaska without even worrying about Immigration and Customs.

moose

Oct 19, 2009
Thanks for that Pete. A trip via Alaska and the Yukon would be quite spectacular and definitely a part of the world I'd like to experience. My family lives in Nova Scotia though so it would be a bit of a round about way of getting there, though I do appreciate your tip.

I had been on a ski trip to Maine before and returning wasn't a problem in 2005 with passport and prc - I didn't even know about the pr status rule then. I'm really looking forward to getting back there again, so hopefully it all goes ok.

If any one else out there who's a PR has recently driven across from ME or VT - I'd be interested to hear how you went.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sure you'd be fine. Please, let us know how it went. Good luck.

aussiepete

Oct 31, 2009
Whitehorse Yukon
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2005
File Transfer...
14-01-2006
Passport Req..
23-01-2006
VISA ISSUED...
27-01-2006
LANDED..........
23-03-2006
It makes sense. If you really think about it, Alaskans and Yukons are kinda thesame people. If not for the geo-political boundaries that Governments have set in place, they should be living as one.
[/quote]

Actually Yukoners and Alaskans are nothing alike. You can tell your in the USA right away. Most people who live in Alaska come from the lower 48. It's like saying people from Toronto and NYC are the same!