+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning family with 3-4 months missing to RO

casadog

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading this.

We landed in Montréal in Feb 20, 2017 and stayed there for 8 days and then returned again on Feb 2019 and stayed for 40 days immigration asked us why we stayed aboard for so long we explained (got the evidences sick mother in law) and they reminded us about the RO and provided a small paper with a number in RED (what was that?). During this second visit our 3rd child was born and we returned back home after that.

Wa want to go back for good on July 2020 which means we will be missing 3 or 4 months to RO if we count from Feb 2017 to Feb 2022 with the hope that nothing happens in our home country so that we do not travel outside Canada again.

Thanks for your help. My questions are :

1. What was the paper with a number in Red that we were provided by immigration (not customs) ? It was on Feb 2019 which means that I was meeting RO (Landed first Time in Feb 2017)

2. What should I expect when returning back on July 2020 with only 40 days stayed between Feb 2017 and July 2020 and 20 months left before 5 years expires. Knowing that we will be a family of 3 kids and one of them is a canadian (we knew we will be returning hence delivery in canada to avoid visa and sponsorship long process). What are the questions that they will ask?

3. Can we have a normal life in Canada (work and school for kids)

4. I will probably have a job offer before moving - does this helps?

5. Since we will be missing 4 months if all Goes well. Can we wait untill completing 24 months before apply to a PR card renew even after expiring for our PRs and end of 5 years period? Same for Citizenship after 3 years?

6. Are we taking high risk every time we traveling outside canada ? How do they know how much time you spent on 5 years? Im thinking about an emergency or the need to travel after PR card got expired.

Thank you very much for your time

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading this.

We landed in Montréal in Feb 20, 2017 and stayed there for 8 days and then returned again on Feb 2019 and stayed for 40 days immigration asked us why we stayed aboard for so long we explained (got the evidences sick mother in law) and they reminded us about the RO and provided a small paper with a number in RED (what was that?). During this second visit our 3rd child was born and we returned back home after that.

Wa want to go back for good on July 2020 which means we will be missing 3 or 4 months to RO if we count from Feb 2017 to Feb 2022 with the hope that nothing happens in our home country so that we do not travel outside Canada again.

Thanks for your help. My questions are :

1. What was the paper with a number in Red that we were provided by immigration (not customs) ? It was on Feb 2019 which means that I was meeting RO (Landed first Time in Feb 2017)

2. What should I expect when returning back on July 2020 with only 40 days stayed between Feb 2017 and July 2020 and 20 months left before 5 years expires. Knowing that we will be a family of 3 kids and one of them is a canadian (we knew we will be returning hence delivery in canada to avoid visa and sponsorship long process). What are the questions that they will ask?

3. Can we have a normal life in Canada (work and school for kids)

4. I will probably have a job offer before moving - does this helps?

5. Since we will be missing 4 months if all Goes well. Can we wait untill completing 24 months before apply to a PR card renew even after expiring for our PRs and end of 5 years period? Same for Citizenship after 3 years?

6. Are we taking high risk every time we traveling outside canada ? How do they know how much time you spent on 5 years? Im thinking about an emergency or the need to travel after PR card got expired.

Thank you very much for your time
Who paid for the childbirth in Canada??

1. No idea.

2. They may ask whatever they want, such as where you were, why you don't meet the RO etc.

3. While you are PRs, yes. However, if reported upon entry, you will likely lose your PR status and have to leave.

4. No.

5. If you enter without being reported, yes, you need to remain in canada for 2 straight years before applying to renew your PR cards.

6. Yes. Any time you re-enter without meeting the RO, you cam be reported and lose your PR status. If you leave after your PR card is expired, you will not be able to return except through the Canada-US land border; with an expired card, you would face a higher risk of being reported.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My first thought as well. Your family wouldn't have qualified for healthcare for either of these visits so hopfully you paid for any healthcare during all of your visits.

When chosing ro return at the 3 month mark or later you should be prepared to possibily lose tour PR 2 out of 5 years very lenient. If you even return at the 3 year mark you have not left yourself time to leave Canada for iver 2 years whether it is for business, vacation or family issues.

Thought I should clarify for others reading the forum that health coverage has their own residency obligations. If you don't meef the residency obligations you coumd be asked to pay back the money used for the healthcare you used. Basically you are required to live for over 6 months usually in the hopes that you will then paying taxes and into the medical system. The residency requirment a stops people from landing quickly in Canada to receive healthcare but leave as soon as possible after they're ready to go to their current home.

Residw
ency requirements to receive OHIP
- be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period;
- be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after
- establishing residency in Ontario

Last edited:

casadog

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Thanks. I was not asked to pay. I was assisted from day 1 in Toronto for the delivery process with the hospital (no prenatal). I provided all documents they wanted and they said you will be covered after 3 months May 2019 but delivery is from day 1. Can you please check with my dates and tell me how can I meet RO for PR and Healthcare? Im lost and considering now going before July 2020. Please tell me when I need to be there.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thanks. I was not asked to pay. I was assisted from day 1 in Toronto for the delivery process with the hospital (no prenatal). I provided all documents they wanted and they said you will be covered after 3 months May 2019 but delivery is from day 1. Can you please check with my dates and tell me how can I meet RO for PR and Healthcare? Im lost and considering now going before July 2020. Please tell me when I need to be there.
Delivery is NEVER covered from day 1. I think what you need to worry about is that the government is highly likely to ask you to pay the cost for using healthcare you were not entitled to. I hope you have a LOT of money because interest out of defrauding the healthcare system will be huge.

You can also go to jail.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/card_fraud.aspx

Last edited:

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Despite your child is canadian its coverage depends on parents (at least 1 of them). if none of you had right for health coverage, then yes they can ask to pay all back.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you give birth in Toronto or Montreal because your previous landing looks like it was in Montreal? You never qualified to receive any healthcards given your short stays so I assume you incorrectly applied for a health cards. Your family have not met any of the requirements to qualify for OHIP or RAMQ. There is no coverage right away for deliveries in Ontario. That is the case in Quebec but you can’t just leave after that.

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least oneof the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why you would not qualify for coverage from day one unless you had incorrectly signed up for RAMQ as well.

When your coverage starts
It can take up to three months for your OHIP coverage to begin after you’ve been approved unless you qualify for immediate coverage.

During this time, you may want to consider buying private health insurance.

Who gets immediate coverage
OHIP coverage starts immediately for:

• babies born in Ontario who are Canadian citizens
  • some internationally adopted children under 16 who are adopted by Ontario residents
  • convention refugees and other protected persons as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
  • people who move from another Canadian province or territory into a long‑term care home in Ontario within the first three months of their arrival
  • military family members with accepted documentation