+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returned Citizenship Application

grove1995

Oct 26, 2013
I applied last July and it was returned a month later with this note:
'The photocopies of school record for yourself (if applicable) and for your dependent children are missing. See section "Step 1 Gather documents" in the instruction guide.' I earned my degree more than 10 yrs ago from my home country and have not gone to school in Canada, so naturally that clause shouldn't have applied to me. But I photocopied my records, diploma etc. and resent it with a letter stating that I have not attended any school in canada. My application was returned again with the same note. I'm confused, this is what's stated on the guide;
4. School Records

Provide photocopies of all your official school records if applicable for the relevant four (4) year period immediately preceding the date of your application, provide.

In addition, provide photocopies of official school records for any children in Canada or abroad who are or were under the age of 18 in the past four (4) years even if you are not applying for Canadian citizenship on their behalf.

Format: Clear and legible photocopy

I'm not sure what to do, I've complied with all the requirements.

touché

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
grove1995 said:
I applied last July and it was returned a month later with this note:
'The photocopies of school record for yourself (if applicable) and for your dependent children are missing. See section "Step 1 Gather documents" in the instruction guide.' I earned my degree more than 10 yrs ago from my home country and have not gone to school in Canada, so naturally that clause shouldn't have applied to me. But I photocopied my records, diploma etc. and resent it with a letter stating that I have not attended any school in canada. My application was returned again with the same note. I'm confused, this is what's stated on the guide;
4. School Records

Provide photocopies of all your official school records if applicable for the relevant four (4) year period immediately preceding the date of your application, provide.

In addition, provide photocopies of official school records for any children in Canada or abroad who are or were under the age of 18 in the past four (4) years even if you are not applying for Canadian citizenship on their behalf.

I'm not sure what to do, I've complied with all the requirements.
Do you have any dependent children? If so, did you include their school records?

johnedm

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
i also got returned but i sent it back with all documents.if you have children remember to put last 4 years

grove1995

Oct 26, 2013
touché said:
Do you have any dependent children? If so, did you include their school records?
Yes. Their school records where included and there's a note in their application that the papers are complete but since we submitted as a family it is returned.

touché

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
grove1995 said:
Yes. Their school records where included and there's a note in their application that the papers are complete but since we submitted as a family it is returned.
Beats me then. Give them a call and find out what they want.

johnedm

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
kids school records are part of our application not their's so only it is completed.normally new comers apply for citizenship soon after their 3 years of residency so there is a chance to not include the documents from their home country,

grove1995

Oct 26, 2013
johnedm said:
kids school records are part of our application not their's so only it is completed.normally new comers apply for citizenship soon after their 3 years of residency so there is a chance to not include the documents from their home country,
yes. i've included the four year record preceding the date of application for my kids. my first application, i didn't include mine since i've got my degree more than 10 years ago and i didn't attend a school in canada. when it was returned, it stated: "the photocopies of school records for yourself (if applicable) and for your dependent children are missing. See section `Step 1 Gather Documents`in the instruction guide. In the instruction guide it states, four years preceding the date of application- that shouldn`t have applied to me since I went to school more than 10yrs ago. But still, I`ve included my school records. When it was returned a second time for the same reason, I don`t know what to include-since I`ve submitted all school records.

Saloo

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
grove1995 said:
yes. i've included the four year record preceding the date of application for my kids. my first application, i didn't include mine since i've got my degree more than 10 years ago and i didn't attend a school in canada. when it was returned, it stated: "the photocopies of school records for yourself (if applicable) and for your dependent children are missing. See section `Step 1 Gather Documents`in the instruction guide. In the instruction guide it states, four years preceding the date of application- that shouldn`t have applied to me since I went to school more than 10yrs ago. But still, I`ve included my school records. When it was returned a second time for the same reason, I don`t know what to include-since I`ve submitted all school records.
Did you mention the word study in the citizenship application question 6F Eduction/Work history like small course or english course ? that will confuse them if you mention the word study and you didn't provide any documents for that study period even its a small course .

grove1995

Oct 26, 2013
Saloo said:
Did you mention the word study in the citizenship application question 6F Eduction/Work history like small course or english course ? that will confuse them if you mention the word study and you didn't provide any documents for that study period even its a small course .
I only listed my work employment history for the past 4 years.

Saloo

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
grove1995 said:
I only listed my work employment history for the past 4 years.
what kind of school record did you include for the kids? As far as I know the don't accept the letters alon from the schools they need the report cards which include the attendance , also if you ask for a letter from the kids school ask them to include the attendance record which is an excel sheet generated by the school administration office .

lilua

Jun 11, 2013
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Saloo said:
what kind of school record did you include for the kids? As far as I know the don't accept the letters alon from the schools they need the report cards which include the attendance , also if you ask for a letter from the kids school ask them to include the attendance record which is an excel sheet generated by the school administration office .
Your child's school record (Report Cards and school Index-enrollment history) to be attached with your application as per documents checklist serial.Your child's school record also to be attached with your child's application separately.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
That's not true. School records for minors are required to be attached to the adult application only. If you check the minors application documents check list (at the bottom of the application form for minors) nothing is there to require school records as Lilua says.

lilua

Jun 11, 2013
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RussCan said:
That's not true. School records for minors are required to be attached to the adult application only. If you check the minors application documents check list (at the bottom of the application form for minors) nothing is there to require school records as Lilua says.
Yes, School records for minors are required to be attached to the adult application only.I have just asked whether he has done that. School record also can be used as child identity with child's application.I wanted to know whether he has attached the school record with the ADULT application as proof of residence requirement or he has attached it as child identity.

grove1995

Oct 26, 2013
lilua said:
Yes, School records for minors are required to be attached to the adult application only.I have just asked whether he has done that. School record also can be used as child identity with child's application.I wanted to know whether he has attached the school record with the ADULT application as proof of residence requirement or he has attached it as child identity.
I attached it together with my application. This is the wording: 4. School Records

grove1995

Oct 26, 2013
Saloo said:
Progress report card. I checked the progress report card again, and attendance is not indicated there, So I probably need to ask a letter from the school indicating my kid's attendance record, But doesn't the report card constitute an official record? This is probably what's missing, i can't think of anything else.