+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returned application, eligibility period.. HELP!

kamae

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2016
Passport Req..
April 20, 2016
Hi, my husband's eligibility period started Sept 22, 2013 since we submitted our application on Sept 22, 2018 (5 years prior) and he arrived here in Canada on Sept 28, 2014.. so that means he lived outside of Canada for a year during his eligibility period, right? I wasn't able to tick an answer for the question asking if he has lived outside of Canada so our application was returned to us today. According to the application form, if lived outside Canada during eligibility period, he would have to fill up the Residence Outside of Canada form. I'm just confused because when I looked at the form, it said it is for crown servants or crown servant family member. How are we supposed to fill this out? Also, if anyone knows, since application was returned, do we have to make a new payment? It said on the letter that fees were not taken. I will also call them tomorrow to be sure but just hoping someone here knows. Thank you for the help!

niagara2807

Apr 23, 2017
Hi, my husband's eligibility period started Sept 22, 2013 since we submitted our application on Sept 22, 2018 (5 years prior) and he arrived here in Canada on Sept 28, 2014.. so that means he lived outside of Canada for a year during his eligibility period, right? I wasn't able to tick an answer for the question asking if he has lived outside of Canada so our application was returned to us today. According to the application form, if lived outside Canada during eligibility period, he would have to fill up the Residence Outside of Canada form. I'm just confused because when I looked at the form, it said it is for crown servants or crown servant family member. How are we supposed to fill this out? Also, if anyone knows, since application was returned, do we have to make a new payment? It said on the letter that fees were not taken. I will also call them tomorrow to be sure but just hoping someone here knows. Thank you for the help!
On the forum...there is a mixed response...even if you send Residence outside from (not being a crown servant) that should be fine as long as you write NA and sign in if there is one. Even if you do not send (Residence outside from), it is fine but if he has been outside Canada...you need to tick that.

You can use the same fee receipt. No need for new payment.

kamae

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2016
Passport Req..
April 20, 2016
On the forum...there is a mixed response...even if you send Residence outside from (not being a crown servant) that should be fine as long as you write NA and sign in if there is one. Even if you do not send (Residence outside from), it is fine but if he has been outside Canada...you need to tick that.

You can use the same fee receipt. No need for new payment.
Thank you! Follow up question, would he need to do over his whole application or can we just tick off the box and attach the form?

niagara2807

Apr 23, 2017
Thank you! Follow up question, would he need to do over his whole application or can we just tick off the box and attach the form?
It depends on how the application sent back. If it is punched with holes or marked....need to do over the whole application. And if it is pristine...you can remove that page and add a new one. Also make sure that eligibility period and other limitations are within the time limits.

aj1997

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
Kitchener
I think the important part here is that the OP "wasn't able to tick an answer for the question" which means they probably didn't tick either of yes or no. They probably just left it blank which means the form is incomplete and that's why I think it was returned. If you clicked "No", then it shouldn't have been returned. Can you confirm OP, if you left it blank or actually clicked "No"?

kamae

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2016
Passport Req..
April 20, 2016
very strange, are you sure this is the reason for the rejection?
It was returned because it was deemed incomplete. We forgot to tick off either yes or no to the question if he has lived outside of Canada during his eligibility period.

niagara2807

Apr 23, 2017
I think the important part here is that the OP "wasn't able to tick an answer for the question" which means they probably didn't tick either of yes or no. They probably just left it blank which means the form is incomplete and that's why I think it was returned. If you clicked "No", then it shouldn't have been returned. Can you confirm OP, if you left it blank or actually clicked "No"?
I guess if it is clicked no...then the applicant has not lived outside Canada during eligibility period which is not the case as per the OP.

aj1997

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
Kitchener
I guess if it is clicked no...then the applicant has not lived outside Canada during eligibility period which is not the case as per the OP.
That question has been worded poorly by IRCC and there have been never-ending discussions on this forum over this question for quite a while now. You can read this detailed response
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/question-9c-answered-wrong-on-citizenship-application.547540/#post-7270533

kamae

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2016
Passport Req..
April 20, 2016
Yes, we weren't able to tick off an answer at all. Then I realized as I was reading the question that he was outside of Canada for a year prior to coming here.

aj1997

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
Kitchener
Yes, we weren't able to tick off an answer at all. Then I realized as I was reading the question that he was outside of Canada for a year prior to coming here.
Yea there are many ways you could approach this question. Please read the response given in the link in my previous comment. It is very much detailed.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
Yea there are many ways you could approach this question. Please read the response given in the link in my previous comment. It is very much detailed.
HI,
the right approach would be to do what they ask for which would be just tick yes for the question about staying in Canada and fill up the Crown servant form with N/As and sign it. This way the CIC can't return anyone's application.
I know it makes no sense but we don't make the rules.

kamae

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2016
Passport Req..
April 20, 2016
HI,
the right approach would be to do what they ask for which would be just tick yes for the question about staying in Canada and fill up the Crown servant form with N/As and sign it. This way the CIC can't return anyone's application.
I know it makes no sense but we don't make the rules.
That's what we decided to do to be on the safe side. I just made it clear on the crown servant form that it doesn't apply to him. I also added his address during 2013 and his occupation during that time. I also added a new job since he changed jobs since we submitted the original application in Sept 2018. I however did not change the date the application was signed since it said on the letter that the original date application was signed would still be the basis for eligibility. Is that going to be a problem?

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
That's what we decided to do to be on the safe side. I just made it clear on the crown servant form that it doesn't apply to him. I also added his address during 2013 and his occupation during that time. I also added a new job since he changed jobs since we submitted the original application in Sept 2018. I however did not change the date the application was signed since it said on the letter that the original date application was signed would still be the basis for eligibility. Is that going to be a problem?
Hi,
no, it shouln't be a problem.