+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return to Canada

cc1

May 5, 2013
:)

I am a Canadian citizen and staying outside of Canada since 2000 with no ties to Canada. I declared on my last tax form for year 2000 as a non-resident. I returned the overpaid child allowance per Canada tax request in the following year. We are planning to return to Vancouver for good this year. I would like to clarify the followings.
1. Do I need to declare my resident status after arrival? where and how? Or just provide the information on the tax form?
2. Any tax on the shipment? Do I have tax exemption for shipment like landed immigrates? Do I need to provide a list of goods to follow and get it stamped by custom when I enter Canada?
3. Could I renew my driving license as I have driving license issued by the place that I am living now?
4. Any other issue ?

Thank you
CC

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) You will "declare" your tax resident status when you file your income tax return;
2) No tax since you had been non-resident for so long time. Yes you need the B4 form to list the goods and get it stamped by custom when you enter Canada. For details, read the relevant CBSA publication;
3) You might want to check with ICBC if you can exchange your driver license;
4) You might need to buy private health insurance for the 3 months waiting period until can be covered under the provincial health coverage. Have you reserved a place to live? If not, there is a post in the housing section in this forum in which a poster was offering one of her rooms to new immigrants for short stay in Surrey, BC.

cc1

May 5, 2013
:)

I and my daughter will return home in August and my husband will join us next May. Should he declare tax resident status together with us in August ? Could he himself declare tax resident status when he came back?

Thanks