+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

return to canada

minddad

Jan 22, 2009
i'm a dual US / Canadian citizen. years ago when living in canada i sponsored my wife for canadian PR status. later, we moved to the US and she received a green card. now, 10 years later, we are considering moving to canada. there used to be some law about canadian PRs being able to maintain that status if they lived with their Canadian spouse out of canada. does anyone know if this law still exists? also, my wife may chose to become an american citizen before leaving the states. would this complicate the return to canada at all?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

minddad said:
i'm a dual US / Canadian citizen. years ago when living in canada i sponsored my wife for canadian PR status. later, we moved to the US and she received a green card. now, 10 years later, we are considering moving to canada. there used to be some law about canadian PRs being able to maintain that status if they lived with their Canadian spouse out of canada. does anyone know if this law still exists? also, my wife may chose to become an american citizen before leaving the states. would this complicate the return to canada at all?
1. She has maintained her PR by living abroad with a Canadian citizen.
2. US citizenship doesn't have any effect on her return.

PMM