+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return to Canada with Work Visa vs PRTD?

berttbruno

Sep 2, 2021
Hi
I have received a few months ago my CoPR and at the same time, my work visa is valid until 2023 (LMIA one).
I need to get out of the country for work reasons for 1 week and then return to Canada BUT I don't have yet my PR CARD.
I have tried sending the emergency request, etc etc, and no replies from IRCC.

Could I potentially use my work visa to return to Canada instead of applying for a PRTD in a 'strange' country and having the possibility of waiting for a month or more?
I have a colleague who has done that recently and it worked out fine.

Let me know your thoughts.

thank you!

ceceh

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
My dependent is facing the same issue. Still waiting for PR Card (I received it already, strangely...) and she need to go to Brazil for a couple weeks by the end of this month. Not enough time for PRTD processing. Work permit still valid as per MyCIC portal application and expiration date.

I know CBSA is supposed to accept you anyway if you can prove PR status (eCOPR), but the issue is if airline can "find out" you are a PR already.

berttbruno

Sep 2, 2021
Airlines dont usually know that you are PR already.
that's why I wanted to ask this question in this forum.

it has become hard to reach out to IRCC, with this emergency request.
they just don't reply or prioritize people's concerns and emergency requess.

ceceh

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020

All I know is that you will not be blocked by Canadian immigration at the airport if you don't have a PR Card. They have many other ways to check.
But I'm just curious if the airline can deny boarding if you just show a work visa that physically is not expired but not valid because you became a PR earlier.
Maybe @legalfalcon can help here

miguelca

May 6, 2021
You can surely try.
Usually once you get the COPR the other permits are not longer valid on the IRCC system.
The airline may check with the IRCC DB the validity of the permit, and if it returns invalid, you can’t board the flight.
Once you are in Canada, they cant refuse you entry as PR. But I would expect some pushback from the officer at the POE.

I've read some people saying claiming it worked for them

So… good luck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Airlines will check if the visa you hold is still valid in the system. IRCC typically cancels TRVs / work permits automatically in the system once someone becomes a PR. So if IRCC has done this and you try to board the plane, the airline will deny boarding.

Short answer is that you need a valid PR card or a valid PRTD to be 100% sure you'll be allowed to board the plane. You can try to board with a TRV but you may find it has been canceled in the system.

berttbruno

Sep 2, 2021
I see.
it seems too risky then because I don't want to be stuck and having to apply for the PRTD at the last min and wait a month or so.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi I did my biometrics back in december 2019 still waiting for medical test
can you tell how much time will it take ?
I was so confused. You do not need biometrics if you are applying for PRTD (cos you are already a PR to apply for PRTD).

If you are not a PR already and debating if you can use your old work permit or applying for PRTD, post your question in a related topic/section.