+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return flight ban for visitors

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Hi..
With the announcement of the travel ban to India extended to June 22nd, does anyone know what would happen when the single-entry visitor visa expires.?

When I called Air Canada, it was advised both inbound and outbound flights to India are banned.

I tried calling CIC, but the queues were full.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi..
With the announcement of the travel ban to India extended to June 22nd, does anyone know what would happen when the single-entry visitor visa expires.?

When I called Air Canada, it was advised both inbound and outbound flights to India are banned.

Are you asking about someone who is outside of Canada or inside of Canada?

If inside of Canada, that individual should apply for an extension before their visa expires.

If outside of Canada, that individual will need to apply for a new TRV.

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Yes from Inside Canada.
When I had called CIC prior to the travel ban, I was advised that since this is a single entry visa, the visitor needs to go back to the home country, and then submit a new visitor visa application.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Reactions: scylla

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Don't think there is any confusion. This is what CIC gave me in an email, when I enquired with them few months ago, about how long the visitors can stay in Canada. Confirmation of this, was given by phone and email. Again, this is for a single entry visa, not the regular visitor visa.

Entry - Visa (TRV)
A TRV allows entry into Canada. It is valid for a limited period of time. You must therefore come to Canada and present yourself at a port of entry up until the expiry date on your TRV. Please note that a valid TRV does not guarantee entry into Canada. If your situation has changed between the date you applied for your TRV and the date you arrived in Canada, an officer will decide if you still meet the requirements to enter the country.

Stay - Stamp or Status Document
Once entered, the duration of your stay will not be determined by the validity of your TRV but by either a stamp in your passport or a status document such as a work permit or a study permit. In the absence of any of those, unless there is a date written by hand on the stamp in your passport, you are deemed to have been authorized a stay of 6 months.

Generally, you are allowed to stay in Canada as a visitor for six months. This means that you would have to leave the country:

• On or before the expiry date shown on your Visitor Record, or
  • Six months from the date stamped in your passport by an officer when you arrived,

Hi

1. Your confusing apples and oranges. You don't require a new TRV to remain in Canada, you have to apply for an extension as a visitor. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Don't think there is any confusion. This is what CIC gave me in an email, when I enquired with them few months ago, about how long the visitors can stay in Canada. Confirmation of this, was given by phone and email. Again, this is for a single entry visa, not the regular visitor visa.

Entry - Visa (TRV)
A TRV allows entry into Canada. It is valid for a limited period of time. You must therefore come to Canada and present yourself at a port of entry up until the expiry date on your TRV. Please note that a valid TRV does not guarantee entry into Canada. If your situation has changed between the date you applied for your TRV and the date you arrived in Canada, an officer will decide if you still meet the requirements to enter the country.

Stay - Stamp or Status Document
Once entered, the duration of your stay will not be determined by the validity of your TRV but by either a stamp in your passport or a status document such as a work permit or a study permit. In the absence of any of those, unless there is a date written by hand on the stamp in your passport, you are deemed to have been authorized a stay of 6 months.

Generally, you are allowed to stay in Canada as a visitor for six months. This means that you would have to leave the country:

• On or before the expiry date shown on your Visitor Record, or
  • Six months from the date stamped in your passport by an officer when you arrived,
You are mixing two different things and it's not clear which you are asking about or what problem you are trying to solve.

If you are a visitor who is currently in Canada and you wish to (or have to) stay beyond the allowed length of time you were given when you entered Canada, then you apply for an extension from within Canada. This has nothing to do with the fact your TRV is single entry or the expiry date on your TRV.

If you want to get a new TRV that will allow you to enter Canada again as a visitor in the future, then you need to apply for that new TRV once you have ended your stay in Canada and are outside of Canada.

Two completely different things.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi..

If you continue to stay after it became expired, you might become out of status (overstay) unless you extend your status.

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
[Update] I reached out to CIC today, and was told to try to apply for an extension. Very vague they were. The online option for extension applications errored.

So I reached out to Canada Border Services. I was told visa extensions were not approved in the recent times, especially if the 6 months are going to be up, for this type of visitors visa.
I was advised if the travel ban extends, to have my visitors take an alternate route to a country that flies to India. This is before their visa expires.
But reading the Indian news today cheered me up, and gave me a reviving hope that the travel ban wouldn't last for long.

If anyone has a different information with regards to visa extension, please pm me or update this thread.
Thanks.

If you continue to stay after it became expired, you might become out of status (overstay) unless you extend your status.
You are mixing two different things and it's not clear which you are asking about or what problem you are trying to solve.

If you are a visitor who is currently in Canada and you wish to (or have to) stay beyond the allowed length of time you were given when you entered Canada, then you apply for an extension from within Canada. This has nothing to do with the fact your TRV is single entry or the expiry date on your TRV.

If you want to get a new TRV that will allow you to enter Canada again as a visitor in the future, then you need to apply for that new TRV once you have ended your stay in Canada and are outside of Canada.

Two completely different things.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
[Update] I reached out to CIC today, and was told to try to apply for an extension. Very vague they were. The online option for extension applications errored.

So I reached out to Canada Border Services. I was told visa extensions were not approved in the recent times, especially if the 6 months are going to be up, for this type of visitors visa.
I was advised if the travel ban extends, to have my visitors take an alternate route to a country that flies to India. This is before their visa expires.
But reading the Indian news today cheered me up, and gave me a reviving hope that the travel ban wouldn't last for long.

If anyone has a different information with regards to visa extension, please pm me or update this thread.
Thanks.
CBSA were the wrong people to call. They don't process visa extensions and won't have any idea how many are being approved.

IRCC process visa extensions.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thanks.
apply for extension. You do not need the visa extension to be approved soon. As long as you have applied, you/the visitor will be on implied status. (as a visitor) So until you get an approval or refusal of the extension, the person will still be legally staying in Canada. (not overstaying)

Aaronpaul

Star Member
Sep 8, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks.
Is the online application giving errors? Like it isnt allowing you to apply for visitor record?

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
So, when I was trying to fill the questionnaire yesterday for eligibility, I kept getting the message "You are not allowed to apply for an extension."
But later, I noticed that they were having a scheduled maintenance on the website yesterday until today early morning.

Today, it is allowing me to complete the questionnaire. At the end of the questionnaire, it is providing me with the set of application forms to fill out online. So I guess yesterday was a glitch and a false alarm.

Is the online application giving errors? Like it isnt allowing you to apply for visitor record?

Reactions: YVR123