+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Retire to Canada

Pontiacman

Jun 11, 2019
I am an American Citizen, and my wife became an Naturalized American Citizen in 2016. We are interested in moving to Canada on retirement in 8 -10 years. My late Paternal Grandfather was born in Chatham/Kent Ontario. Because my Grandfather was born in Canada, I would like to know if it would be easier for us to become Permanent Residents when the time comes.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am an American Citizen, and my wife became an Naturalized American Citizen in 2016. We are interested in moving to Canada on retirement in 8 -10 years. My late Paternal Grandfather was born in Chatham/Kent Ontario. Because my Grandfather was born in Canada, I would like to know if it would be easier for us to become Permanent Residents when the time comes.
Unfortunately there's no path to permanent residency for retired individuals. Immigration programs are geared towards young skilled workers.

No - having a grandfather who was born in Canada unfortunately doesn't make anything easier.

Reactions: Pontiacman

Pontiacman

Jun 11, 2019
Unfortunately there's no path to permanent residency for retired individuals. Immigration programs are geared towards young skilled workers.

No - having a grandfather who was born in Canada unfortunately doesn't make anything easier.
Well, that scuttles that idea! Thanks for the answer however. We're going to have to come up with another option. We want a place that's going to be kinder to older people. I don't think the U.S. is all that safe for the elderly anymore. Too many young bums.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, that scuttles that idea! Thanks for the answer however. We're going to have to come up with another option. We want a place that's going to be kinder to older people. I don't think the U.S. is all that safe for the elderly anymore. Too many young bums.
The uS can be less expensive to live in and it would never make sense to allow people to retire in Canada and used things like healthcare when they never paid into the tax base.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I don't suppose that your father was a Canadian citizen when you were born?

Pontiacman

Jun 11, 2019
The uS can be less expensive to live in and it would never make sense to allow people to retire in Canada and used things like healthcare when they never paid into the tax base.
Makes fiscal sense. I thought about that. I just figured that as of right now, Canada is a bit safer, but we'll just have to find a safer, less ignorant place to retire than the southern U.S.