+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Retaining US phone number in Canada

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
I have a question on this.If I port my US number to Google Hangouts, will I still get text messages like from bank websites etc where they send online code to enter. My phone number is included at a lot of places like Bank, Insurance policy, credit card etc.
Just wanted to confirm the text will come to hangouts without any issues.

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
I have a question on this.If I port my US number to Google Hangouts, will I still get text messages like from bank websites etc where they send online code to enter. My phone number is included at a lot of places like Bank, Insurance policy, credit card etc.
Just wanted to confirm the text will come to hangouts without any issues.
For now, I transferred my number over to Ting for $15/month and left the phone with my friend. My friend would let me know if any text is received on my number. As far as calls go, I then forwarded the calls to my "TextNow" app number; meaning, I get all the calls through internet on my smartphone in Canada. That one way to do this!

However, if you find a better and cheaper alternative, please let me know as well. It might be worth looking!

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
For now, I transferred my number over to Ting for $15/month and left the phone with my friend. My friend would let me know if any text is received on my number. As far as calls go, I then forwarded the calls to my "TextNow" app number; meaning, I get all the calls through internet on my smartphone in Canada. That one way to do this!

However, if you find a better and cheaper alternative, please let me know as well. It might be worth looking!
Thanks. I am currently on Ultra mobile and pay $19/month , I am still in US.
I am likely to keep the same plan for now. I would not be using this number in Canada though.

gabab09

May 2, 2019
Hi,
I recently got the Canadian Permanent Residency and am in process of moving to Canada. But I was wondering if I can port my current US number into canada.
Is there a Canadian telephone provider which does that?

Or if there is any other way I can keep my current number "alive" in Canada.

HI Did you moved to canada, Need some suggestions on the move and attaining PR, could you share your experience ?

happy@2020

Jun 25, 2020
I moved from the states to Canada in 2020 and still use my mobile plan with AT&T's GoPhone. It works well with free data roaming in Canada and Mexico. The only exception would be for situations like bank verification codes and intercom, which accept only Canadian/local numbers. I am paying $40 for 6GB of high-speed data and unlimited call & text. It hasn't been easy to find an equivalent Canadian plan with a similar price range.