+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Retaining PR status while studying out of Canada

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
Dear All,

I am planning to land this year under FSWP. My son is 16 years old and would like to study medicine. However, the medical study in Canada is quite lengthy lasting about 10 years whereas in UK, Germany, or France it would require 5-6 years.

My question is that is it possible for him to go for his studies abroad (out of Canada) and coming back after completing his studies while retaining his PR status during this period? If not, then how can he retain the PR status while studying abroad out of Canada or what are the possible solutions?

Highly appreciating your insights and advice.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
sharedknowledge said:
Dear All,

I am planning to land this year under FSWP. My son is 16 years old and would like to study medicine. However, the medical study in Canada is quite lengthy lasting about 10 years whereas in UK, Germany, or France it would require 5-6 years.

My question is that is it possible for him to go for his studies abroad (out of Canada) and coming back after completing his studies while retaining his PR status during this period? If not, then how can he retain the PR status while studying abroad out of Canada or what are the possible solutions?

Highly appreciating your insights and advice.
He will be subject to the same residency requirements that any PR has to comply with.

If he is outside Canada for more than 1095 days in a 5 year period, he will fail to comply and will risk being reported the next time he enters Canada or applies for PR card renewal.

If reported, elective educational choices are unlikely to be considered as mitigating factors against losing his PR status.

In other words, if he chooses to study abroad, he could lose his PR. Caveat Emptor.

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
zardoz said:
He will be subject to the same residency requirements that any PR has to comply with.

If he is outside Canada for more than 1095 days in a 5 year period, he will fail to comply and will risk being reported the next time he enters Canada or applies for PR card renewal.

If reported, elective educational choices are unlikely to be considered as mitigating factors against losing his PR status.

In other words, if he chooses to study abroad, he could lose his PR. Caveat Emptor.
Thank you for your advice.

Leon has kindly provided his thoughts and information as well here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/retaining-pr-status-while-studying-out-of-canada-t235006.0.html

I remain. May God bless both of you.