+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restrictions for PR holders on amount of time spent outside Canada

KMenon

Mar 26, 2020
Hello,

I have been a permanent resident of Canada since Jun 2018. In Dec 2018, for a number of reasons, I had to travel to my country of origin and have been unable to return.

It looks like I will have to spend another year at the very least outside Canada, so by the time I'm back, I will have spent 26-27 months outside the country.

Will this have an adverse effect on my status as a permanent resident? Is there something I am required to do in this situation?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

I have been a permanent resident of Canada since Jun 2018. In Dec 2018, for a number of reasons, I had to travel to my country of origin and have been unable to return.

It looks like I will have to spend another year at the very least outside Canada, so by the time I'm back, I will have spent 26-27 months outside the country.

Will this have an adverse effect on my status as a permanent resident? Is there something I am required to do in this situation?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
1. You have to spend 2 years in Canada, in every 5 year period to maintain your PR. So between Jun/18 and Jun/23 you need to reside in Canada for 730 days. There is nothing for you to do at this point.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please make sure to keep some buffer time in case you need to travel for family or business reasons. If you arrive exactly at the 3 year mark you need to remain in Canada for 2 years straight.

KMenon

Mar 26, 2020
Well, I already have 143 days under the belt and I should be there at least a few months in advance of the remaining 587, so if all goes according to plan, I should have a little bit of a buffer period. Thank you both for your help. :)

serenus

Feb 25, 2020
Hi

1. You have to spend 2 years in Canada, in every 5 year period to maintain your PR. So between Jun/18 and Jun/23 you need to reside in Canada for 730 days. There is nothing for you to do at this point.
Hi
Is 5yrs period within PR period validity or 5yrs from the day you applied for PR renewal?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi
Is 5yrs period within PR period validity or 5yrs from the day you applied for PR renewal?
PR card validity has nothing to do with maintaining the residency obligation.

You need to be in Canada for a minimum of 2 years in the 5 years from initial landing. After that you need to be able to show 2 years in the 5 years before any new entry to the country or any other interaction with IRCC such as applying to renew a card or if outside the country without a card applying for a PRTD.

So if you applied to renew a card today then you would need 2 years in the 5 years back to April 2015, this is what you need to show on the application

Reactions: dpenabill

serenus

Feb 25, 2020
PR card validity has nothing to do with maintaining the residency obligation.

You need to be in Canada for a minimum of 2 years in the 5 years from initial landing. After that you need to be able to show 2 years in the 5 years before any new entry to the country or any other interaction with IRCC such as applying to renew a card or if outside the country without a card applying for a PRTD.

So if you applied to renew a card today then you would need 2 years in the 5 years back to April 2015, this is what you need to show on the application
You need to be in Canada for a minimum of 2 years in the 5 years from initial landing.

That means if your initial landing is Mar-17 and you have to meet 2yrs within Mar-22. What if anybody fulfills 730 days on Jun-22? Are the eligible for RO?

Besram

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
You need to be in Canada for a minimum of 2 years in the 5 years from initial landing.

That means if your initial landing is Mar-17 and you have to meet 2yrs within Mar-22. What if anybody fulfills 730 days on Jun-22? Are the eligible for RO?
No, you would be falling short of your residency obligation obviously. You would run the risk of getting reported each time you enter the country when you are no longer able to remain in Canada for 730 days or more before March 2022. The exact date from when you are at risk depends on how much time you have spent in Canada already.