+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoring status from visitor to OwP?

sunset11

Apr 12, 2021
Hi all,
Is it possible to restore status from visitor to OWP?? I'm sure I read somewhere here that you can only restore to original status?! I'm about to submit my PR along with restoration and OWP... my anxiety is soo bad
PLease HELP.....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,
Is it possible to restore status from visitor to OWP?? I'm sure I read somewhere here that you can only restore to original status?! I'm about to submit my PR along with restoration and OWP... my anxiety is soo bad
PLease HELP.....
No - it's not possible.

You need to restore to visitor status.

Assuming you are applying for PR through spousal sponsorship, you then separately submit the inland spousal sponsorship application with the OWP application.

sunset11

Apr 12, 2021
No I came came to Canada on a visitor visa. I'm about to submit my PR application along with OWP. Just wondering what are the exact apps I need to fill out for both Restoration of status and also, OWP. Its all very confusing to say the least as I've read where a few people have actually applied to restore their original visitor visa to OWP and just used one form (IMM5710) I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown here

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So did your visitor status expired? (You stayed past the allowed of time grant. Default is 6 months)
If so you need to restore to visitor status. Before your status is restored, you cannot apply for OWP.
The OWP they allow with inland spousal sponsorship application needed to be sent at the same time.
If you still have valid status, and if your application package is complete and is not being sent back, you will have imply status because of the OWP application included.

If your visitor status has expired and is waiting for restoration, you cannot get OWP until your application reaches AIP.

If you have read people who had their visitor status expired and were able to apply for OWP and grant before AIP, please post those disucssion links here.
I've never seen that. The cases I've seen were their visitor status were valid when they submitted their inland application with their OWP but visitor status expired during the wait. Then they will be implied status as visitor. If you are not talking about spousal or family sponsorship, then I have no idea of those other PR process.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If your visitor status has expired, you cannot "restore to OWP."

You need to restore as a visitor first.

Then you are eligible to apply for the OWP.

Some people would submit the restoration application first then separately submit the PR/OWP application and hope that the restoration application is processed before the OWP is processed because you must have a valid status for the OWP.

If your OWP application is processed before your restoration application, you may be refused OWP because you must have a valid status to be eligible to receive the OWP.

Reactions: YVR123