+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoration of work permit

Cyrille

Apr 28, 2017
Hi guys, I believe I am in a similar situation as Bill222

I recently (June 17th) lost my status as a worker. I was holding an employer specific work permit with LMIA exemption ( As a native French speaker using French at work in Anglosaxon province). CIC declined my bridging work permit application (I have a PR application in process) because I was not able to upload my new passport in the timeline requested. However I have been given a grace period of 90 days to restore it.

Questions:

1) if my employer is willing to rehire me, do they have to pay the compliance fee again for the LMIA exemption or can I use the same old exemption ?

2) if my employer does not want to rehire me, is it possible to apply for an open work permit with no valid job offer ?

3) would you suggest that I restore the status as a visitor and just wait for the final decision of my PR application (it's been over 10 months already - CEC inland) ? How long would the visitor status be valid for ?

Thanks in advance for your

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. Not sure about this.
2. No, you can't apply for an Open Work Permit
3. Might make sense to just wait. You can order your GCMS notes to see why it's taking so long; 10 months is on the higher side. You should ask for six months as a visitor, they may give you a shorter one.

Immigration_guru

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Hi guys, I believe I am in a similar situation as Bill222

I recently (June 17th) lost my status as a worker. I was holding an employer specific work permit with LMIA exemption ( As a native French speaker using French at work in Anglosaxon province). CIC declined my bridging work permit application (I have a PR application in process) because I was not able to upload my new passport in the timeline requested. However I have been given a grace period of 90 days to restore it.

Questions:

1) if my employer is willing to rehire me, do they have to pay the compliance fee again for the LMIA exemption or can I use the same old exemption ?

2) if my employer does not want to rehire me, is it possible to apply for an open work permit with no valid job offer ?

3) would you suggest that I restore the status as a visitor and just wait for the final decision of my PR application (it's been over 10 months already - CEC inland) ? How long would the visitor status be valid for ?

Thanks in advance for your
1. If the earlier issued document has an expiry date and if it has expired you have to redo the process.
2. No, you need an LMIA for the work permit.
3. If it's taking so long, request for GCMS notes and check. Visitor status totally depends on the officer, how long they want to give it to you.