+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoration of student status timeline

Qgqbs

Aug 8, 2018
Has anyone recently applied for a restoration of status or if at all applied for a restoration of their student status this year? Kindly share your timeline from the day of application to the day of approval please.

My study permit expired on the 11th of June and I applied a month prior to that but got refused on the grounds that

[X] Immigration Legislation requires that an application for a study permit be accompanied by a letter from a university, college or other institution accepting the applicant to attend or to take any course at that institution. The letter should be recently issued and should outline the
 type of course of study or program you are registered for,
 the start date and the expected completion date, and
 whether the program is full-time or part-time studies.
As you have not provided such evidence your application cannot be approved”.

I believe it was because I submitted my acceptance letter dated in 2016 rather than my letter of enrolement.

I was not able to get my letter of enrolement till I paid of my winter semester fees which I was able to do on the 24th of July and had my course registration on the 25th ( all this I explained in my letter of explanation to IRCC) . I registered for classes and submitted my enrolement letter for the fall semester along with my application. I finally applied again on the 7th of August but haven’t gotten any update yet.

My only fear is that I may be refused for submitting that enrolement letter since I’m technically not meant to be in school then till I get my study permit.

Last edited:

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
I'm also waiting for my student status to be restored. I applied on August 8th and still haven't heard anything back. I couldn't renew my study permit due to not receiving my letter of acceptance in time before my document expired. If you do hear anything, please let me know.

Qgqbs

Aug 8, 2018
Definitely! I’d let you know once I get an update.
Do you mean your letter of enrolement or acceptance?

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
Definitely! I’d let you know once I get an update.
Do you mean your letter of enrolement or acceptance?
Thanks a lot. Letter of acceptance in my case because I graduated with my bachelor and decided to for a Master degree right after.

Timrepy Duts

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
I'm in the exact same boat. I applied on Aug. 9th. I really hope we don't have to wait 16 weeks because that means we won't be able to leave Canada for that time for the holidays. I'm feeling really shattered.

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
I'm in the exact same boat. I applied on Aug. 9th. I really hope we don't have to wait 16 weeks because that means we won't be able to leave Canada for that time for the holidays. I'm feeling really shattered.
I know it's nerve wrecking while waiting but stay strong. According to the processing website, our turn should be right around the corner now. I will for sure let you know when I receive any update.

Timrepy Duts

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
I know it's nerve wrecking while waiting but stay strong. According to the processing website, our turn should be right around the corner now. I will for sure let you know when I receive any update.
Thank you for the kind message. I recieved an update today saying my application got cancelled. I wonder what happened.. There are no details yet.

whyme12

Sep 27, 2018
Applied : August 7th
Approved : September 26th
Good luck!
I applied on a day after you and just got it back. However I got refused. I sent them my letter of enrollment and letter from my university stating when I will graduate.

Can i ask you what you sent in your application and what did you say in your letter of explanation?

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
I applied on a day after you and just got it back. However I got refused. I sent them my letter of enrollment and letter from my university stating when I will graduate.

Can i ask you what you sent in your application and what did you say in your letter of explanation?
Did you include a letter of explanation? And if you don't mind me asking, did you apply on August 8th? I applied on the same day but still haven't heard anything back yet.

whyme12

Sep 27, 2018
Did you include a letter of explanation? And if you don't mind me asking, did you apply on August 8th? I applied on the same day but still haven't heard anything back yet.
I did apply on the 8th and did include a letter of explanation. I hope you will get yours soon.

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
Just want to let people know that my status restoration application got approved. Applied on August 8th and approved on September 27th.

Qgqbs

Aug 8, 2018

Just let the immigration officer know that I had been refused the first time due to me putting in my letter of acceptance and not my enrollment. Went further to explain that I was not able to get my enrollment on time because I had to pay off my winter semester fees before I had access to order my enrollment from school. Also explained that I did not work or school during the period of Restoration.
If I may ask, what was the reason for the refusal?