+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RESTORATION OF STATUS REFUSED. HELP!!!

dee99

Sep 20, 2020
Hello everyone, as the title suggests, I was recently refused a restoration of status from Immigration Canada. Please allow me to provide you with the following timeline of events:

1. My PGWP expired October 2019 and I had already applied for the AINP during that period. I was advised (erroneously) by a CIC call centre agent to apply for a BOWP to extend my work permit which I did with the help of a lawyer. This unsurprisingly led to my application being rejected and a letter stating my status expired officially in January 2020. It also stated I had 90 days to apply for a restoration of my temporary resident status.

2. Upon receiving this information, I decided to go back to school to get a better qualification for a higher NOC class job and then I made the application for a study permit in February, 2020 (well within the 90 day time frame). This time before handing in this application, I made sure to contact the CIC call centre (THREE TIMES) to confirm that I could indeed restore my status and apply for a student permit. They confirmed this ON THREE SEPARATE OCCASIONS. They also confirmed that I could apply from within the country as long as it was within the 90 day period. I paid the restoration fees, study permit fees and biometric fees and handed in the application. Not long after I handed in my application, the pandemic hit.

3. June 2020- I receive an email from them reassuring me that the longer than usual wait times/lack of updates have become normal in these times and not to worry.

4. July 2020 - I receive another email with a letter with instructions to go to a biometric collection centre for data collection which was impossible as centres in Canada were closed due to the pandemic. I contacted Service Canada and I was informed to wait until any local centres were opened. I kept trying to contact the CIC on application times but as usual no definitive answer.

5. September 2020- I log into my email again to refresh as I have been doing to find an email dated August 2020 that states that I have been refused as follows:
[X] A visitor, worker or student who loses temporary resident status for failure to comply with the
following conditions imposed under: paragraph 185(a)any of subparagraphs 185(b)(i) to (iii), or paragraph 185(c) may be eligible for restoration of temporary resident status if an application is submitted within 90 days after loss of status and if following examination it is established that the applicant meets
the initial requirements for their stay and has complied with any other conditions imposed.
In your case, you have not met the initial requirements; therefore you are not eligible to have your temporary resident status restored. Since you no longer hold temporary resident status in Canada your application for a Study
Permit is also refused.
[X] You are not a person described in Immigration Legislation who can apply for this type of document from within Canada. An application of this type must be made at a
Canadian Visa office in another country.
[X] You are a person in Canada without temporary resident status who is not eligible for restoration under Section 182 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
[X] You are a person in Canada without legal status and as such are required to leave Canada immediately. If you do not leave Canada voluntarily, enforcement action may be
taken against you.

My question is: Is there anyway I can contest this decision seeing as there seems to be a misunderstanding and miscommunication regarding the official expiry of my status (January 2020)? If so does anyone have the contact of a decent immigration consultant or any ideas for the next steps to follow. Thank you all in advance and I would really appreciate your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone, as the title suggests, I was recently refused a restoration of status from Immigration Canada. Please allow me to provide you with the following timeline of events:

1. My PGWP expired October 2019 and I had already applied for the AINP during that period. I was advised (erroneously) by a CIC call centre agent to apply for a BOWP to extend my work permit which I did with the help of a lawyer. This unsurprisingly led to my application being rejected and a letter stating my status expired officially in January 2020. It also stated I had 90 days to apply for a restoration of my temporary resident status.

2. Upon receiving this information, I decided to go back to school to get a better qualification for a higher NOC class job and then I made the application for a study permit in February, 2020 (well within the 90 day time frame). This time before handing in this application, I made sure to contact the CIC call centre (THREE TIMES) to confirm that I could indeed restore my status and apply for a student permit. They confirmed this ON THREE SEPARATE OCCASIONS. They also confirmed that I could apply from within the country as long as it was within the 90 day period. I paid the restoration fees, study permit fees and biometric fees and handed in the application. Not long after I handed in my application, the pandemic hit.

3. June 2020- I receive an email from them reassuring me that the longer than usual wait times/lack of updates have become normal in these times and not to worry.

4. July 2020 - I receive another email with a letter with instructions to go to a biometric collection centre for data collection which was impossible as centres in Canada were closed due to the pandemic. I contacted Service Canada and I was informed to wait until any local centres were opened. I kept trying to contact the CIC on application times but as usual no definitive answer.

5. September 2020- I log into my email again to refresh as I have been doing to find an email dated August 2020 that states that I have been refused as follows:
[X] A visitor, worker or student who loses temporary resident status for failure to comply with the
following conditions imposed under: paragraph 185(a)any of subparagraphs 185(b)(i) to (iii), or paragraph 185(c) may be eligible for restoration of temporary resident status if an application is submitted within 90 days after loss of status and if following examination it is established that the applicant meets
the initial requirements for their stay and has complied with any other conditions imposed.
In your case, you have not met the initial requirements; therefore you are not eligible to have your temporary resident status restored. Since you no longer hold temporary resident status in Canada your application for a Study
Permit is also refused.
[X] You are not a person described in Immigration Legislation who can apply for this type of document from within Canada. An application of this type must be made at a
Canadian Visa office in another country.
[X] You are a person in Canada without temporary resident status who is not eligible for restoration under Section 182 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
[X] You are a person in Canada without legal status and as such are required to leave Canada immediately. If you do not leave Canada voluntarily, enforcement action may be
taken against you.

My question is: Is there anyway I can contest this decision seeing as there seems to be a misunderstanding and miscommunication regarding the official expiry of my status (January 2020)? If so does anyone have the contact of a decent immigration consultant or any ideas for the next steps to follow. Thank you all in advance and I would really appreciate your help.
This forum is paid for by an immigration lawyer. The office contact information is in the top left hand corner of each page.

To the best of my knowledge you don't meet any of the criteria to apply for a study permit within Canada. Your application needed to be sent to a visa office outside of Canada. Unfortunately I believe you were correctly refused. Only people who meet one of the following requirements qualify to apply within Canada:
  • you have a valid study or work permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parent has a valid study or work permit
  • you’re a minor child in primary or secondary school
  • you’re an exchange student or visiting student
  • you completed a short-term course or study program required to be accepted at a DLI
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child has a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for 6 months or more
  • you’re being sponsored to immigrate and you already applied for permanent residence (if you’re eligible)
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child are subject to an unenforceable removal order
  • you’re the spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of:
    • an athlete on a team based in Canada
    • a member of the media
    • a member of the clergy
    • military personnel on duty in Canada or
    • an accredited foreign representative
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/apply.html

Canada did put out a special policy due to COVID-19 for people who lost their status in Canada after January 30th, 2020 that allows them to apply for restoration even after the 90 days. However if I read your history correctly, you lost status in January and unfortunately don't qualify under this policy. You can find this information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/restoration-extension.html

Good luck. I do think a lawyer is the right next step.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add, when you applied for the study permit in February - did you only apply for the study permit or did you also submit a restoration application?

dee99

Sep 20, 2020
Just to add, when you applied for the study permit in February - did you only apply for the study permit or did you also submit a restoration application?
Hello, yes, I also submitted a restoration application along with the study permit. All this was within 90 days of my status expiration.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, yes, I also submitted a restoration application along with the study permit. All this was within 90 days of my status expiration.
OK - that's good news.

I would get help from a lawyer.

I don't believe you were entitled to apply for a study permit from within Canada. However based on the refusal reasons, it sounds like they don't think you qualified to restore your status which doesn't make sense.

Also order your GCMS notes.

dee99

Sep 20, 2020
OK - that's good news.

I don't believe you were entitled to apply for a study permit from within Canada. However based on the refusal reasons, it sounds like they don't think you qualified to restore your status which doesn't make sense.

sorry what are GCMS notes?

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
sorry what are GCMS notes?
You can read about it here: https://www.justforcanada.com/gcms-notes-understand-guide.html

Since you are in Canada, order them here: https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/privacyTerms.do

It'll cost $5.. It'll help you and your lawyer understand the reasons for refusal. Visa officer add thoughts/reasons of approval/refusal when making a decision on the file.
fyi- If you are in Canada it's free to request your own info.

Reactions: jigzyy

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I believe also the restoration was wrong, you were on a work permit but restored to student you cant do this, you can only restore to the status you had prior to going out of status according to IRCC website.

dee99

Sep 20, 2020
I believe also the restoration was wrong, you were on a work permit but restored to student you cant do this, you can only restore to the status you had prior to going out of status according to IRCC website.
That's pretty weird because that is the complete opposite of what the CIC call agent told me. So what would have been the right step?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
That's pretty weird because that is the complete opposite of what the CIC call agent told me. So what would have been the right step?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html
It is important to note that an applicant can only restore to an authorization that they held immediately prior to the restoration application. As an example, a student who lost their status cannot apply to restore status with authorization as a worker.
After the initial rejection of BOWP I don't really see if there would have been a way to correct after that. Why was it rejected?

MarkUy

Sep 28, 2020
OK - that's good news.

With the utter delay in ATIP notes, do you think he can still buy time, given his non-status? I dont think so....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
With the utter delay in ATIP notes, do you think he can still buy time, given his non-status? I dont think so....
Sorry, I don't understand your question. He needs to engage a lawyer now to help him challenge the refusal since it appears IRCC thought he didn't qualify for restoration (which it looks like he did). He's already out of time as it relates to the restoration, meaning that the only option for remaining in Canada would be to get the visa office to review and change their decision. It's too late to submit a new restoration application. He doesn't fall under the public policy as mentioned in my original post above.

Ordering GCMS nots is always a good idea even if they take a while to arrive.

Pegita

Jan 19, 2024
About three months ago, one of my friends applied for PGWP and added her husband to her application. Currently, her husband's application has been rejected because she did not submit her work documents, and her own PGWP is still pending. Her husband received a letter stating that he has 90 days to defend himself and provide additional documents. Today, she sent the documents related to her work. Now, I want to know how long it will take to get a response, and how can she follow up on her own PGWP application.