+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoration of status OWP

Frecuencia

May 17, 2013
Hi

Currently me and my brother are looking for a restoration of his status, his open work permit just expired and I am a permanent resident. He is not eligible to apply for PR status, but the CIC website online questionnaire says that according to our answers, he could be eligible for a restoration of his open work permit. He was working before, but as of the expiration he had to leave his job and they couldn't provide an LMO, but can he restore his status and get a new permit? Last year I obtained an OWP while unemployed, but that was a bridging OWP because my PR application had gone through. I know we can just fill the forms online, but is there a point to it?

Thanks

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi Frecuencia,

your brother can restore his status if he is still within 90 days since the expiry of his work permit if it is past the 90 days he must leave canada.
your brother can only restore his status as a worker if he has a valid job offer and an approved LMIA formerly called LMO from a canadian employer,he is not eligible for a BOWP or any sort of open work permit at this point.
if your brother can't secure an LMO he can then restore his status as a visitor(please note this will not allow him to work).
please note that the restoration fee is $200+the fees of either work or visitor permit and the application can either be done online or by paper sent to the CPC vegreville alberta.

good luck.

Frecuencia

May 17, 2013
Yes, I was afraid of that

He had a post graduate work permit, which as far as I know is not eligible for extension, yet the questionnaire does allow us to submit an online application. Considering the new LMIA impositions I think it will be very difficult. So, I guess the system is sort of flawed and I should not attempt the OWP restoration, right?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Frecuencia said:
Yes, I was afraid of that

He had a post graduate work permit, which as far as I know is not eligible for extension, yet the questionnaire does allow us to submit an online application. Considering the new LMIA impositions I think it will be very difficult. So, I guess the system is sort of flawed and I should not attempt the OWP restoration, right?
No, do not attempt to restore the OWP, as it will most definitely be refused. As said above, he can apply to restore his status as a visitor.