+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoration of Status (NEED HELP)

JN1016

Sep 20, 2019
Hello,

I have a question for you guys about restoration and PGWP.

The problem here is I didn't notice that my student visa had expired on July 30th, and I went back to my country on August 4th and return to Canada on September 4th with a valid ETA.

My school advisor told me I should apply for restoration as a visitor and PGWP at the same time on online even though this will not give any guarantees.

FYI, my final transcription and confirmation of graduation letter posted in June.

My question is am I still eligible to apply for restoration and PGWP in Canada?

Last edited:

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
You can apply for PGWP within 180 days of study permit expiry.
There's no need to apply for restoration since you were admitted into the country on Sep 4 as a visitor. However whatever application you submit from now on, you'll have to truthfully state that you overstayed your study permit in the past.

JN1016

Sep 20, 2019
Thank you guys for your replies
I contacted with IRCC agent and told him about my situation.
He said I need to apply for both restoration (as a worker)and PGWP at this point. Because of a valid ETA, I could stay and trip in Canada as a visitor, but that doesn't present my status, specifically in my case. ( I know it sounds tricky, but that's what I heard).
I've applied as what he told me and waiting for the results.

Everyone has a different case and it's hard to get a clear solution.
So if you are struggling with something, just contact IRCC as soon as possible. ( better call them between 0800 am to 0900 am).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you guys for your replies
I contacted with IRCC agent and told him about my situation.
He said I need to apply for both restoration (as a worker)and PGWP at this point. Because of a valid ETA, I could stay and trip in Canada as a visitor, but that doesn't present my status, specifically in my case. ( I know it sounds tricky, but that's what I heard).
I've applied as what he told me and waiting for the results.

Everyone has a different case and it's hard to get a clear solution.
So if you are struggling with something, just contact IRCC as soon as possible. ( better call them between 0800 am to 0900 am).
I really hate the Call Centre. That is completely wrong advice. You do NOT need to apply for Restoration. You have valid status as a visitor and therefore do not even qualify to apply for Restoration. Restoration is only for those in Canada illegally. The eTA has zero to do with the situation, as it is simply an electronic permission to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada and has nothing to do with status IN Canada.

JN1016

Sep 20, 2019
I really hate the Call Centre. That is completely wrong advice. You do NOT need to apply for Restoration. You have valid status as a visitor and therefore do not even qualify to apply for Restoration. Restoration is only for those in Canada illegally. The eTA has zero to do with the situation, as it is simply an electronic permission to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada and has nothing to do with status IN Canada.
I’ve seen some people got rejected in PGWP and that’s the reason I called the IRCC.
Oh my god. I’m so stressed out and depressed.
I’ve applied both through an immigration agency and don’t know what to do now.
I don’t care about the fees that I already paid. All I want for now is just things go well without any problems.
Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I’ve seen some people got rejected in PGWP and that’s the reason I called the IRCC.
Oh my god. I’m so stressed out and depressed.
I’ve applied both through an immigration agency and don’t know what to do now.
I don’t care about the fees that I already paid. All I want for now is just things go well without any problems.
Thanks.
If IRCC does everything properly, they should ignore the Restoration app, refund that fee and process the PGWP app as normal.