+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoration of status and Open work permit application

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will be honest and am concerned about this relationship especially if he is financially dependent on you. Does he have a good working history? Does he have a career? I assume his family may be from the same country you claimed asylum from. Perhaps Ghana or Nigeria. Are you currently working? Did he ever pay any of his living expenses while in Canada? Hopefully he is not working illegally in Canada.

Myyenks

Oct 14, 2018
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
I will be honest and am concerned about this relationship especially if he is financially dependent on you. Does he have a good working history? Does he have a career? I assume his family may be from the same country you claimed asylum from. Perhaps Ghana or Nigeria. Are you currently working? Did he ever pay any of his living expenses while in Canada? Hopefully he is not working illegally in Canada.
His family is from Spain. He is a microbiologist. No he is not working illegally in Canada. He does help with expenses with funds he receives from his family occasionally.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That we will definitely fix. and we did ask if we could register the relationship and they said the requirement for registering our relationship was to show proof that we are cohabiting and in a conjugal relationship. They didn't mention the one year thing and so that is why when i came online today and saw all of that i was confused.
Common law is a known term in Canada so if you showed up to register people would assume you had done your research. What made you seek out registering your relationship? If you met through a religious setting it is pretty unusual to live together before marriage. Most practicing religion prefer to get married before living together. Winnipeg is very cold but I find it strange that someone would sign a lease but only have a visa that went until January and then not apply for an extension on time. Did he ask for a 2 month extension or was he given a 2 month extension? It is not uncommon for Canada not to give the full 6 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
His family is from Spain. He is a microbiologist. No he is not working illegally in Canada. He does help with expenses with funds he receives from his family occasionally.
Why would he not apply for a work permit or PR if he has worked as a microbiologist? Perhaps further studies? Did he leave a job in June to join you? Most would not want to or be able to leave their career or would have their own savings if they worked as a microbiologist? How was he able to go between the Netherlands and Africa if he was working? Was he working for the UN?

Myyenks

Oct 14, 2018
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
Common law is a known term in Canada so if you showed up to register people would assume you had done your research. What made you seek out registering your relationship? If you met through a religious setting it is pretty unusual to live together before marriage. Most practicing religion prefer to get married before living together. Winnipeg is very cold but I find it strange that someone would sign a lease but only have a visa that went until January and then not apply for an extension on time. Did he ask for a 2 month extension or was he given a 2 month extension? It is not uncommon for Canada not to give the full 6 months.
I get your point but please understand that this is all new for me. He asked for an extension till January and that is what was given to him. We missed out on applying for another extension due to this whole confusion. That is why i am here.

Myyenks

Oct 14, 2018
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
Why would he not apply for a work permit or PR if he has worked as a microbiologist? Perhaps further studies? Did he leave a job in June to join you? Most would not want to or be able to leave their career or would have their own savings if they worked as a microbiologist? How was he able to go between the Netherlands and Africa if he was working? Was he working for the UN?
Is it possible for him to do that? apply for work as a microbiologist? we researched that and saw that he needs to do some license courses out here for that. He also studied IT and has tried applying for jobs in that field too but most people wouldn't employ you when you don't have a work permit. No he worked for the government and was also a Minister

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is it possible for him to do that? apply for work as a microbiologist? we researched that and saw that he needs to do some license courses out here for that. He also studied IT and has tried applying for jobs in that field too but most people wouldn't employ you when you don't have a work permit. No he worked for the government and was also a Minister
Did you not research how to immigrate to Canada? Does he qualify? How was he a Minister and a microbiologist yet dropped everything to move to Canada and has no savings? Do you actually have proof that he did all these jobs except from him? We see many men and women be taken advantage of on this forum in order to get sponsored and once a person gets sponsored the person leaves. Sponsorship involves financial obligations for 3 years on your part. As someone who had just been granted asylum in Canada and was in the process of establishing yourself it seems crazy for someone you barely know to quit their job (if they were employed) to come to Canada for 6 months with no savings.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I'm not sure how to validate the form and the error you're getting, but I don't believe he's eligible for an OWP through a relationship to you outside of a PR sponsorship application. And he has to be in status for that, which is what you're trying to do.

If he only got a two month extension when you applied, I'd assume a restoration application is likely to fail without evidence of funds and ties to Spain, and a valid reason to stay. Qualifying for common law sometimes works, if you pay the spousal sponsorship processing fee and include that as evidence of reasons to restore or extend stay.

However, there are other issues. That approach requires you not yet be in a common law relationship, which you're not yet. However, you registered a common law relationship. And if you've just had a landing interview but "registered" a common law relationship before your landing interview, that's one big problem since you would have had to update your PR application to reflect a common law partner, but that wouldn't have been possible since you weren't actually in a relationship. The registration in Manitoba may well cause you many many issues, even if you find a way to cancel it as it was in error - assume that this will come up in sponsorship reviews.

You can't sponsor him as a spouse unless you're married or are in a valid common law relationship. He can't get an open work permit unless he's being sponsored by you OR he qualifies under another program that is not based on his relationship to you.

If you declared his status as common law with you in any IRCC applications but cannot prove one year of cohabitation and/or supplied a Manitoba common law registration, you may have misrepresented.

You may wish to find a lawyer.

Myyenks

Oct 14, 2018
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
I do understand your concerns and I appreciate you a whole lot but I need you to understand that there are a lot of things I cannot just lay out on this forum with regards to my relationship. So I apologize if things are not making sense to you but trust me, I’m not the only person who verified a lot of things, there is family and other people involved too. He was gonna move to Europe permanently that was the initial plan; visiting Canada was the “let’s see how this works out with being together” part. Left with him he initially wanted us to move to Europe but I have come to know and love Canada and like you said, I am just establishing myself so I don’t wanna leave just yet. Of the two of us, it only makes sense that if we want to be together, we stay in the place where one of us is already established and that’s where Canada comes in. If the initial plan had been for him to come and stay, I would have done a bit of research as I am doing now. Also, this man has helped me financially when he was out there too and he is not 100% financially dependent on me. I know a whole lot of women who have gone through such experiences in the past. I have helped a lot of people out in a lot of ways too and they disappeared after they got what they wanted but it all boils down to the person right? We do not judge people based on other people’s mistakes. Also if you know the pay rates and standard of living in many parts of Africa, you will understand why soooo many people are leaving irrespective of their positions. I personally gave up a lot to be here because of circumstances beyond my control. Trust me it is a lot. So I do understand your concerns and like I said, I cannot explain everything here.

Myyenks

Oct 14, 2018
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
I'm not sure how to validate the form and the error you're getting, but I don't believe he's eligible for an OWP through a relationship to you outside of a PR sponsorship application. And he has to be in status for that, which is what you're trying to do.

If he only got a two month extension when you applied, I'd assume a restoration application is likely to fail without evidence of funds and ties to Spain, and a valid reason to stay. Qualifying for common law sometimes works, if you pay the spousal sponsorship processing fee and include that as evidence of reasons to restore or extend stay.

However, there are other issues. That approach requires you not yet be in a common law relationship, which you're not yet. However, you registered a common law relationship. And if you've just had a landing interview but "registered" a common law relationship before your landing interview, that's one big problem since you would have had to update your PR application to reflect a common law partner, but that wouldn't have been possible since you weren't actually in a relationship. The registration in Manitoba may well cause you many many issues, even if you find a way to cancel it as it was in error - assume that this will come up in sponsorship reviews.

You can't sponsor him as a spouse unless you're married or are in a valid common law relationship. He can't get an open work permit unless he's being sponsored by you OR he qualifies under another program that is not based on his relationship to you.

If you declared his status as common law with you in any IRCC applications but cannot prove one year of cohabitation and/or supplied a Manitoba common law registration, you may have misrepresented.

Thanks a lot for your response. God bless you.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I do understand your concerns and I appreciate you a whole lot but I need you to understand that there are a lot of things I cannot just lay out on this forum with regards to my relationship. So I apologize if things are not making sense to you but trust me, I’m not the only person who verified a lot of things, there is family and other people involved too. He was gonna move to Europe permanently that was the initial plan; visiting Canada was the “let’s see how this works out with being together” part. Left with him he initially wanted us to move to Europe but I have come to know and love Canada and like you said, I am just establishing myself so I don’t wanna leave just yet. Of the two of us, it only makes sense that if we want to be together, we stay in the place where one of us is already established and that’s where Canada comes in. If the initial plan had been for him to come and stay, I would have done a bit of research as I am doing now. Also, this man has helped me financially when he was out there too and he is not 100% financially dependent on me. I know a whole lot of women who have gone through such experiences in the past. I have helped a lot of people out in a lot of ways too and they disappeared after they got what they wanted but it all boils down to the person right? We do not judge people based on other people’s mistakes. Also if you know the pay rates and standard of living in many parts of Africa, you will understand why soooo many people are leaving irrespective of their positions. I personally gave up a lot to be here because of circumstances beyond my control. Trust me it is a lot. So I do understand your concerns and like I said, I cannot explain everything here.
As long as you're aware you have to likely lay this all out in sponsorship applications, you don't need to say anything here you don't want to. However, if you're asking questions for advice and the advice depends on something you don't want to say, people will still ask.

Myyenks

Oct 14, 2018
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
As long as you're aware you have to likely lay this all out in sponsorship applications, you don't need to say anything here you don't want to. However, if you're asking questions for advice and the advice depends on something you don't want to say, people will still ask.
Yes I do. Thanks a lot and God bless you