+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Response from MP.........

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I had contacted our MP's office seeking assistance. We have had a hickup or two along the way (such as a documents I sent getting "lost" in the mail). In any event, this is the response I have received back. Now, some parts of this reply I was told are false, but would like to post to get your opinion because I do not know what to make of this?

........It is important I clarify something with you in terms of information you have received. XXXXXX office does not make enquiries on applications with processing time because we will get no faster, nor any more detailed a response than the applicant can get by contacting CIC directly. It does not help an individual to have the MP office make such an enquiry, and can in fact delay the processing by adding yet another layer to the file. It is also important to let you know that the Harper Conservatives have changed a number of procedures that greatly reduce an MP's ability to make enquiries. This is true of many government departments including immigration......"

Can an MP's inquiry really delay processing?

JayJ

Star Member
Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Hi muffy,

My MP's office was able to get an updated timeline from the Amman Embassy of 15-17 months. There is lots of conflicting information out there, even from MPs, lawyers and immigration consultants.

There are some who have waited a long time whether they have contacted their embassy a lot or not.

Best of luck.

Shiny88

Champion Member
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore (sponsor)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/2011
AOR Received.
03/2011
Med's Request
12/2012
Med's Done....
01/2011
Interview........
request:10/2011, date:12/2012 (Ecas:In Process 13dec.)
Passport Req..
03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-2013
LANDED..........
3-6-2013 Finally! all the best everyone
First time hearing about this type of response. By the way you got this message from your mp or from the visa office responsible for your app.?am a little confused..I dont believe its gonna delay the process so many people asked help from their mp,and noone ever said having any response like tht.

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for the responses!

Shiny- This is part of the direct response to me via email from the admin at the MP's office. Now, I contacted our Mayor who told me to contact "so and so" at the MP's office and this person would be able to help. So, I did and he is willing to help but stated the above. Particularly, the delay it causes to app processing. I, too, have never heard that it can cause a delay and was, in fact, told the opposite. So, given the above, I don't think I was to risk adding further delays to the process for information I would be able to obtain myself. However, per his information where he suggests that I am able to call CIC and get the same info he would be- I thought CIC was not able to give any information once the file has been transferred to a VO outside of Canada? So, I am confused.

Shiny88 said:
First time hearing about this type of response. By the way you got this message from your mp or from the visa office responsible for your app.?am a little confused..I dont believe its gonna delay the process so many people asked help from their mp,and noone ever said having any response like tht.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
muffy1 said:
Thanks for the responses!

Shiny- This is part of the direct response to me via email from the admin at the MP's office. Now, I contacted our Mayor who told me to contact "so and so" at the MP's office and this person would be able to help. So, I did and he is willing to help but stated the above. Particularly, the delay it causes to app processing. I, too, have never heard that it can cause a delay and was, in fact, told the opposite. So, given the above, I don't think I was to risk adding further delays to the process for information I would be able to obtain myself. However, per his information where he suggests that I am able to call CIC and get the same info he would be- I thought CIC was not able to give any information once the file has been transferred to a VO outside of Canada? So, I am confused.
It shouldn't delay anything. Your MP must be confused as heck since all he's doing is ENQUIRING about it. Not trying to find out what's in it or anything. Sheesh. lol

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for the reply, Parker. I thought the same thing as you. I have heard from what *to me* is a credible source ( a friend who worked on Parliament Hill and was involved w/ Immigration Sector) that MP inquiry will not delay anything, they can check on status at very least despite how long it has been in process.

First inquiry to MP's office I was told that they cannot do anything as app is within normal processing times, even if there have been problems. Then, I talked to Minister of Immigration at Provincial level, got good advice, etc, anyway ended up contacting specific admin at MP's office only to hear the above.

We had a "hickup" in the file and after not hearing anything since December, I just wanted to get a status check. That's it. I guess I'm just frustrated that you hear one thing from a government official/employee, and another thing from someone else. So, who's right and who's wrong, ya know? Uggghhhhhhh. Sorry to vent. Thanks for your help!

parker24 said:
It shouldn't delay anything. Your MP must be confused as heck since all he's doing is ENQUIRING about it. Not trying to find out what's in it or anything. Sheesh. lol

tsjunx

Mar 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 19, 12
Doc's Request.
Aug 15, 12
AOR Received.
July 18, 12, Mexico: Aug 15, 12
File Transfer...
July 25, 12
Med's Done....
Feb 18, 12
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
Oct 1-12
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 10-12
LANDED..........
16-Nov-12
Hi muffy1,

The OP 1 states that
Paragraph 8(2)(g) of the Privacy Act permits a government institution to disclose personal information "to a Member of Parliament for the purpose of assisting the individual to whom the information relates in resolving a problem,"
and

The standard for reply to MP enquiries is one week (or five working days). Where a substantive reply within one week is not possible, the MP's office should be advised within one week of receipt of the enquiry that a reply will be provided shortly and by a specific date. Such delays should be exceptional and short. Ideally, MPs should receive a response within two (2) working days.
This was from the Aug 2011 version, so unless this has changed they should be able to assist you, keep trying and good luck!

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks tsjunx!! I really appreciate that! Given that information, I think I will push on and keep trying. I've heard other's MP's have been very helpful and I was optimistic that ours would be the same. Here's hoping......Thanks, again!

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
The response will vary from MP to MP. Note that the response is carefully worded "...XXXX office does not make enquiries..."
Some MP's who have high levels of immigrants in their ridings set limits because otherwise they will just be overwhelmed (not just with PR requests but they are also innudated with people wanting them to vouch for their brother, uncle, cousin, aunt etc. for visitor visas). Others just do not want to do it because they feel there time is better spent elsewhere.

Your MP's office sounds like they do not want to do anything (and are trying to pass blame for their inaction to the Government). I do not think anything the current government has instituted prevents an MP from making a status enquiry. I know, the case specific webform for the embassy in Seoul, allows the enquirer to identifiy themselves as an MP. I would assume other countries webforms are similar. I would keep after your MP.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Harju said:
The response will vary from MP to MP. Note that the response is carefully worded "...XXXX office does not make enquiries..."
Some MP's who have high levels of immigrants in their ridings set limits because otherwise they will just be overwhelmed (not just with PR requests but they are also innudated with people wanting them to vouch for their brother, uncle, cousin, aunt etc. for visitor visas). Others just do not want to do it because they feel there time is better spent elsewhere.

Your MP's office sounds like they do not want to do anything (and are trying to pass blame for their inaction to the Government). I do not think anything the current government has instituted prevents an MP from making a status enquiry. I know, the case specific webform for the embassy in Seoul, allows the enquirer to identifiy themselves as an MP. I would assume other countries webforms are similar. I would keep after your MP.
A while back I had contacted my MP to see if they could help us get started, they said they do not deal with anything besides citizenship. *snorts* yeah, wait till I ask for an enquiry. My MP is one of the annoying ones like you say. BUT the MPP is a lot better. HOWEVER they like to pass people back and forth. Ugh. It's annoying. I hope you get your MP to help Muffy!

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Yes it can.
actually any form of push can delay the processing . its kinda punishment.
kinda inquiries apllicants send dont make any real sense and they are not bound to process files at the wills of the applicants. i have seen CIC always requests to keep the communication at the minimum level possible. different cases are: new born, new marriage/divorce after application is launched, chnge of address

nanipanjakadi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NewDelhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12th Jan 2012
AOR Received.
10th March 2012
File Transfer...
15th March2012(Approved)
Med's Done....
Some where in Nov2011
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
28th March-2012, ND received PP on April2nd(In process as of April21 2012)
VISA ISSUED...
15th June 2012
LANDED..........
Soooooon
i got this reply after i contacted my mp here

This refers to your enquiry mentioned below.

Please be advised that we have received everything on this application and expect to finalise it soon. The decision and the passport will be mailed to the applicant through registered post soon. Till then, she is requested to await our contact.

I trust that this information will be of assistance in responding to your constituent.

but even after three weeks passed its still inprocess :(

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
each person going to Canada as a PR is becoming a burden to Canada at this time of recession; they cant afford burdens anymore.
plain n simple.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
jnathan said:
each person going to Canada as a PR is becoming a burden to Canada at this time of recession; they cant afford burdens anymore.
plain n simple.
Excuse me? How are they burdens?! They will work, especially ones being sponsored as a spouse or common law.........