+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency status validity for United Nations employees

Mfao

Oct 27, 2023
This is the wrong section of the forum for this question.

For questions about your spouse's ability to obtain an open work permit, post to the Foreign Workers section of the forum.

If you are interested in applying for PR, then you'll need to research Canada's various immigration programs to see what the requirements are and if you qualify. I would recommend you start with the Express Entry program which is a points-based program. Those with the highest points who are in the pool are selected for PR. Right now you need a score of around 500 to be selected. So calculating your score will tell you what your chances are under this program. You should also check out Quebec's programs since that's where you'll be living and working. Express Entry program details are here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Mfao

Oct 27, 2023
Thank you I will check out the other immigration requirements for my spouse. For now I am unclear if working for the UN in Canada will make me eligible to apply for PR after I work for a number of years. Certain countries do not recognize UN staff work experience in that country towards applying for PR. Any information on this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you I will check out the other immigration requirements for my spouse. For now I am unclear if working for the UN in Canada will make me eligible to apply for PR after I work for a number of years. Certain countries do not recognize UN staff work experience in that country towards applying for PR. Any information on this?
You need to post this question to the right section of the forum. This is wrong section of the forum to be posting this question since this section deals with family sponsorship (not ecnomic immigration).

Your work here in Canada will certainly be recognized as work experience - I think your specific question is whether it will be recognized as Canadian work experience or as foreign work experience. Again, you need to post this question to the appropriate section of the forum. Note that you do not need to have Canadian work experience to apply for PR. You can apply for PR with just foreign work experience. Similarly, having Canadian work experience does not guarantee PR. Hence why you need to dedicate time to researching Canada's immigration programs.

Mfao

Oct 27, 2023
You need to post this question to the right section of the forum. This is wrong section of the forum to be posting this question since this section deals with family sponsorship (not ecnomic immigration).

Your work here in Canada will certainly be recognized as work experience - I think your specific question is whether it will be recognized as Canadian work experience or as foreign work experience. Again, you need to post this question to the appropriate section of the forum. Note that you do not need to have Canadian work experience to apply for PR. You can apply for PR with just foreign work experience. Similarly, having Canadian work experience does not guarantee PR. Hence why you need to dedicate time to researching Canada's immigration programs.

Mfao

Oct 27, 2023
Thank you. I will research accordingly. I didn’t realize I was in the family sponsorship forum.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you. I will research accordingly. I didn’t realize I was in the family sponsorship forum.
The discussion you've posted to is about working for the UN. However it is about maintaining PR status after getting permanent residency status by working outside of Canada for the UN. It is not about applying for PR through a UN job in Canada (which is your question). So you'll definitely want to move over to one of the economic immigration sections of this forum. You will also need to do some thorough reading and research on your own about immigration programs in Canada and how they work (or alternatively hire an immigration lawyer to help you if you don't have the time to do the research yourself). Good luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I havE an offer from ICAO in Montreal. I wanted to know if I will be able to apply for Canadian PR while working for the UN and if my spouse will be able to work in Canada and if we will be eligible to apply for our OR and what is the process.
Will you be working on behalf of another country? Will you be working in Montreal or will your job require you to work abroad a large portion of the time which could impact your ability to meet your residency requirement, qualify for healthcare, etc. Given the job is in Quebec are you fluent in French?