+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

residency status for child tax benefit

ssaud

Mar 15, 2012
Dear All,
i am landed immigrant on PR status in June 20,2012 two months back-in July 1st week i applied for my children canada child tax benefit-now i received a letter that they not meet the residency status?i am quite surprised and disturb -one thing was that when i was applying i not attached any document with CCTB form (passport copy, landing paper etc)- my thinking was that our SIN numbers are there and they can see the detail from it-i also received my PR card now-please can some one give me guidance, as i am quite worried and have no job?

thanks

sha

fhj1203

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
27-07-2011
AOR Received.
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2011
Interview........
09-05-2012
Passport Req..
09-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2012
LANDED..........
09-05-2012
ssaud said:
Dear All,
i am landed immigrant on PR status in June 20,2012 two months back-in July 1st week i applied for my children canada child tax benefit-now i received a letter that they not meet the residency status?i am quite surprised and disturb -one thing was that when i was applying i not attached any document with CCTB form (passport copy, landing paper etc)- my thinking was that our SIN numbers are there and they can see the detail from it-i also received my PR card now-please can some one give me guidance, as i am quite worried and have no job?

thanks

sha
. Can I get the Canada Child Tax Benefit?
To be eligible, you must meet all the following conditions:

•you must live with the child, and the child must be under the age of 18;
•you must be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child;
•you must be a resident of Canada; and
•you or your spouse or common-law partner must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a protected person, or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month.

If you and your spouse or common-law partner were residents of Canada for any part of 2011, you must both file a 2011 return before we can calculate your benefit. To continue getting the CCTB, you both have to file a return every year, even if you have no income to report.

There are certain situations where you may be required to complete additional forms or provide extra documentation with your application.

a) If any of the following applies to you, you will also have to complete the schedule RC66SCH, Status in Canada/Statement of Income.

•You and/or your spouse or common-law partner are not Canadian citizens.
•You and/or your spouse or common-law partner have become new Canadian citizens within the last 12 months.
•You and/or your spouse or common-law partner have become residents of Canada within the last two years.
•You and/or your spouse or common-law partner have moved back to Canada and re-established residential ties.
b) If your spouse or common-law partner is a non-resident of Canada during any part of the year, you must complete Form CTB9, Canada Child Tax Benefit - Statement of Income for each year or part of a year he or she is a non-resident of Canada.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
You must live in Canada for 18 months before you are eligible....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, a new permanent resident should get it right away while a temporary foreign worker or international student would get it after 18 months.

Send them copies of your own and your childrens landing papers and any other proof that you are living in Canada such as employment contract or payslips, apartment lease, utility bills, health cards, childrens vaccination papers done in Canada and enrollment in school.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
In order to receive CCTB tax credit, you have to have filed taxes for the year/s that are being received, like right now Aug 2012 payments are coming from the wages you earned in 2011. but, the first half of the year actually came from what you earned in 2010 cus payments don't switch until July. this is why they say 18 months...

•you or your spouse or common-law partner must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a protected person, or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month.
So if Leon is correct in saying you are eligible to collect right away, the only way I can see that happening would be to, file Canadian taxes for the previous 2 years with 0 Canadian income and adding your world income for those years, that would be what you made in your home country in 2010 and 2011. but the only problem with that is... can you actually file a tax return if you weren't in the country. I "thought" you would have to atleast be a "resident for tax purpose"?

Leon any thoughts? am I atleast making sense? LOL :p

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/cctb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html#q8 if you have just moved to Canada, you should fill out a statement of income, http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc66sch/rc66sch-11e.pdf for the past 2 years before you moved to Canada and they will use that as a guide for your calculation.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And if you have just moved to Canada and had been paying non-resident taxes, you do not have to fill out the statement of income. CRA has your record.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
TY guys thats good to know... ;D

ssaud

Mar 15, 2012
thnks for the replies -but i have attached that form and also showed the last three income of my back home-i have also my income tax return for last three years and wht i mentioned in that CCTB form in actual
thnsk

sha

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
Did they give you a reason for being denied? like if not the residency requirement, maybe you made to much to receive a credit? your children are to old? I can't see them not telling you why you are not eligible... my husband applied for a disability tax credit and when he sent it in he asked they go back as far as he was eligible and in the letter they sent him they said he was only able to apply 3 years back cus thats when his disability worsened and he lost all hearing... but there was a reason... when they cut off our CCTB after we got married the letter he received said it was cut off cus he got married and my world income needed to be added after I was given a temp taxation number every letter had a reason... we may be able to help you better...

blitzk

Star Member
Jan 15, 2013
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2013 and 02-11-2012
Nomination.....
23-09-2012
AOR Received.
22-Mar-2013 (NS-CIO);08-May-2013 (SGVO)
ssaud said:
Dear All,

thanks

sha
Hi, I just got this same issue. We have landed on 05-Feb-2014 and by April 2014 I have filed the CCTB form for my kids. Yesterday, we have received a letter from CRA that they are not qualified since "that they not meet the residency status". Anybody in this forum got the same situation? Thanks.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you a PR?

Yesterday, we have received a letter from CRA that they are not qualified since "that they not meet the residency status"
Did they land with you? Are they in Canada?

Did you fill the folloing forms:
There are certain situations where you may be required to complete additional forms or provide extra documentation with your application.

a) If any of the following applies to you, you will also have to complete the schedule RC66SCH, Status in Canada/Statement of Income.

•You and/or your spouse or common-law partner are not Canadian citizens.
•You and/or your spouse or common-law partner have become new Canadian citizens within the last 12 months.
•You and/or your spouse or common-law partner have become residents of Canada within the last two years.
•You and/or your spouse or common-law partner have moved back to Canada and re-established residential ties.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/cctb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html

blitzk

Star Member
Jan 15, 2013
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2013 and 02-11-2012
Nomination.....
23-09-2012
AOR Received.
22-Mar-2013 (NS-CIO);08-May-2013 (SGVO)
Regina said:
Are you a PR?
>> Yes

Did they land with you? Are they in Canada?
>> Yes they land with me and they are still in Canada

Did you fill the folloing forms:http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/cctb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html
>> Yes, I have filled up the forms they have requested

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Call them and ask. For PR there have not been residency requests.
Unfortunately some clerk at CRA are just unprofessional and your case could get to one of them.
OR maybe there were changes in residency requirements for PR we are not aware of? :eek:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Regina said:
Call them and ask. For PR there have not been residency requests.
Unfortunately some clerk at CRA are just unprofessional and your case could get to one of them.
OR maybe there were changes in residency requirements for PR we are not aware of? :eek:
1. They haven't filed an income tax yet.
2. And they don't meet the eligibility

4. Can I get the Canada child tax benefit?
To be eligible, you must meet all the following conditions:

you must live with the child, and the child must be under the age of 18;
you must be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child;
you must be a resident of Canada; and
you or your spouse or common-law partner must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a protected person, or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month.