+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Requirements

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
Hi everyone, I have a very specific question regarding the residency requirements. My spouse just became a PR recently and I now need to get a full picture of what is allowed to maintain status.
some background; we are both performers in the entertainment industry and for the most part we get work together as we have stopped accepting contracts separately. We really try to aim for contracts in Canada now, but the entertainment industry in Canada is so small and often times our plans completely change on us last second. The industry is very like that and because we work contract to contract, it’s very important that we seize any good opportunity presented to us, especially at this point in our career.

i know that time following me on tour or working for a Canadian company outside Canada can count towards PR renewal, but can time outside of Canada following me count if he is also working for that company (non-Canadian company). In all honesty, a lot of Canadian companies do not have very good conditions, hopefully a good opportunity will present, but for now for example we are working in Germany with a German company. If I can prove he only got the job through me, can that also count towards residency? I am also EU citizen, so for jobs in Europe they often will take him because they were already set on me.

i know this is a very specific situation and possibly extremely uncommon, but does anyone happen to have any insight on this?
We really do want Canada to remain our primary residence, it’s just very hard to only work within the country (we were supposed to this winter but the entire contract was cancelled last second).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, I have a very specific question regarding the residency requirements. My spouse just became a PR recently and I now need to get a full picture of what is allowed to maintain status.
some background; we are both performers in the entertainment industry and for the most part we get work together as we have stopped accepting contracts separately. We really try to aim for contracts in Canada now, but the entertainment industry in Canada is so small and often times our plans completely change on us last second. The industry is very like that and because we work contract to contract, it’s very important that we seize any good opportunity presented to us, especially at this point in our career.

i know that time following me on tour or working for a Canadian company outside Canada can count towards PR renewal, but can time outside of Canada following me count if he is also working for that company (non-Canadian company). In all honesty, a lot of Canadian companies do not have very good conditions, hopefully a good opportunity will present, but for now for example we are working in Germany with a German company. If I can prove he only got the job through me, can that also count towards residency? I am also EU citizen, so for jobs in Europe they often will take him because they were already set on me.

i know this is a very specific situation and possibly extremely uncommon, but does anyone happen to have any insight on this?
We really do want Canada to remain our primary residence, it’s just very hard to only work within the country (we were supposed to this winter but the entire contract was cancelled last second).
Are you a Canadian PR or a citizen? It's not clear from your post.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some questions are likely beyond the knowledge of most of us, so you may be better off talking with a professional that can answer your question. Having said that...

You are correct that a PR that is `following' a Canadian citizen who is their spouse, would in fact get credit for days abroad in terms of meeting the Residency Obligation (R.O.) to maintain PR status. There is on-going debate regarding the `Who followed whom' rule that IRCC sometimes uses, but the current consensus seems to point to that not really beaing a factor.

His working for a non-Canadian company would not be a negative factor, but...is he authorized to work for that company in Germany? Did he obtain a work permit through them?

In theory, you could be unemployed abroad whilst he is working, or even both be unemployed. As long as you are residing together, the days should still count towards his R.O., so...I think he's good, but suggest you wait for others to reply...then take the average of opinions. LOL!

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
Some questions are likely beyond the knowledge of most of us, so you may be better off talking with a professional that can answer your question. Having said that...

You are correct that a PR that is `following' a Canadian citizen who is their spouse, would in fact get credit for days abroad in terms of meeting the Residency Obligation (R.O.) to maintain PR status. There is on-going debate regarding the `Who followed whom' rule that IRCC sometimes uses, but the current consensus seems to point to that not really beaing a factor.

His working for a non-Canadian company would not be a negative factor, but...is he authorized to work for that company in Germany? Did he obtain a work permit through them?

In theory, you could be unemployed abroad whilst he is working, or even both be unemployed. As long as you are residing together, the days should still count towards his R.O., so...I think he's good, but suggest you wait for others to reply...then take the average of opinions. LOL!
thank you very much for your reply!! Of course he has obtained the necessary work permit, it’s always organized by our employers so no worries there. I will await other replies and also consult with an immigration consultant, but I hope your right because then there will be no worries :)