+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Requirements for PR

maverick0077

Sep 14, 2018
Hi folks,

hope you could help answer a quick question for me please?

I've a Canadian PR, got my COPR stamping done in end of Dec 2015 and stayed in Canada for a week and then came back to UK. I've not been to Canada since then. I've my PR card though valid until March 2021.

I now plan to move to Canada next month by end of Oct 2018, and wondered if I may have any issues entering Canada though I'd have been Outside for Canada for long (2 years 10 months) but still less than 3 years?

Am I still OK to enter Canada within 3 years of being Outside?

Thanks a lot.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi folks,

hope you could help answer a quick question for me please?

I've a Canadian PR, got my COPR stamping done in end of Dec 2015 and stayed in Canada for a week and then came back to UK. I've not been to Canada since then. I've my PR card though valid until March 2021.

I now plan to move to Canada next month by end of Oct 2018, and wondered if I may have any issues entering Canada though I'd have been Outside for Canada for long (2 years 10 months) but still less than 3 years?

Am I still OK to enter Canada within 3 years of being Outside?

Thanks a lot.
Hi

You are fine to enter.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
They cannot stop you from entering since you have not yet failed to meet the RO. However keep in mind that depending on which CBSA offcier you talk to, they can ask you additional questions about why it took you so long to return, or they might remind you you cannot leave Canada for the next two years for extended trips else you risk failing to meet the RO. Just be prepared with a good answer, however I don't think they can technically stop you from entering.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
They cannot stop you from entering since you have not yet failed to meet the RO.
Just to clarify, they can't refuse you entry even if you don't meet RO. Once you have identified yourself as a PR, you are entitled to entry. That said, that doesn't stop them from reporting you for RO violations.

aazeb423

May 19, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2017
Nomination.....
20-Mar-2017
AOR Received.
10-July-2017
Med's Request
20-Sep-2017
Med's Done....
27-Sep-2017
LANDED..........
20-06-2018
Friends what if you stay more than three years out of Canada since your first entry i.e. if you enter after four years and still one year is there in expiry of your PR card. Will they allow you? Will they renew your PR card after expiry? Is it necessary to stay at least two years within 05 years?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Friends what if you stay more than three years out of Canada since your first entry i.e. if you enter after four years and still one year is there in expiry of your PR card. Will they allow you? Will they renew your PR card after expiry? Is it necessary to stay at least two years within 05 years?
You must spend 2 years in first 5 years in Canada from initial landing (not from PR card issue date) after which 2 years in any 5 year period preceding each new entry into the country. If you stay out of Canada for more than 3 years there is a possibility you could be reported at the entry point leading to your PR status being revoked.

If after 4 years you are lucky enough to not be reported then you must stay in Canada for 2 plus years with limited or no interaction with immigration, so no attempt to renew a PR card until the RO has been met.

Your PR card validity is not relevant to the residency obligation, all that indicates is you are a PR entitled to enter Canada and also allows you board a plane back to Canada. If you have not met the residency obligation at the time you apply to renew your PR card this could also start the process to have your PR revoked so always advisable to meet the residency requirement that you signed up for when you applied for PR.

Once your PR card has expired and you are outside of the country you would need a PRTD to return to Canada which again if you failed the RO could start the process to revoke your PR status. You cannot by the way apply to renew your PR card from outside Canada

Last edited:

aazeb423

May 19, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2017
Nomination.....
20-Mar-2017
AOR Received.
10-July-2017
Med's Request
20-Sep-2017
Med's Done....
27-Sep-2017
LANDED..........
20-06-2018
You must spend 2 years in first 5 years in Canada from initial landing (not from PR card issue date) after which 2 years in any 5 year period preceding each new entry into the country. If you stay out of Canada for more than 3 years there is a possibility you could be reported at the entry point leading to your PR status being revoked.

If after 4 years you are lucky enough to not be reported then you must stay in Canada for 2 plus years with limited or no interaction with immigration, so no attempt to renew a PR card until the RO has been met.

Your PR card validity is not relevant to the residency obligation, all that indicates is you are a PR entitled to enter Canada and also allows you board a plane back to Canada. If you have not met the residency obligation at the time you apply to renew your PR card this could also start the process to have your PR revoked so always advisable to meet the residency requirement that you signed up for when you applied for PR.

Once your PR card has expired and you are outside of the country you would need a PRTD to return to Canada which again if you failed the RO could start the process to revoke your PR status. You cannot by the way apply to renew your PR card from outside Canada

Thanks for your kind reply, my simple problem is that I am doctor and doing my specialization in my home country which will be finished June15-30, 2022, while I entered in Canada on June 20, 2018. so if I continue my training I have to stay 04 years out of Canada from my first entry date or else I have to leave my training which I don't want, please advise me how I can manage both things simultaneously please.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your kind reply, my simple problem is that I am doctor and doing my specialization in my home country which will be finished June15-30, 2022, while I entered in Canada on June 20, 2018. so if I continue my training I have to stay 04 years out of Canada from my first entry date or else I have to leave my training which I don't want, please advise me how I can manage both things simultaneously please.
Not sure if you realize that it will be incredibly hard to practice as a physician if you immigrate to Canada. Most candidates don't get accepted into a residency program after they have passed their Canadian exams. MDs from most countries are expected to repeat their residencies and there are only a small number of spots left which are mainly family medicine. There are also a few retraining positions for family doctors in underserved areas in a few provinces but again the demand is extremely high for a few spots. Would reconsider Canadian immigration if you do want to continue being a doctor. Sure there are many stories from IMGs on the for

aazeb423

May 19, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2017
Nomination.....
20-Mar-2017
AOR Received.
10-July-2017
Med's Request
20-Sep-2017
Med's Done....
27-Sep-2017
LANDED..........
20-06-2018
Not sure if you realize that it will be incredibly hard to practice as a physician if you immigrate to Canada. Most candidates don't get accepted into a residency program after they have passed their Canadian exams. MDs from most countries are expected to repeat their residencies and there are only a small number of spots left which are mainly family medicine. There are also a few retraining positions for family doctors in underserved areas in a few provinces but again the demand is extremely high for a few spots. Would reconsider Canadian immigration if you do want to continue being a doctor. Sure there are many stories from IMGs on the for
Thanks for reply can you send me some link where I can discuss with doctors on this issue please?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Google International medical graduate (IMG) Canada. Guessing you haven't done any research about how the medical licensing system works in Canada for international graduates.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
please advise me how I can manage both things simultaneously please
Realistically, it will be exceptionally difficult to do both. By not meeting the RO you risk loosing your PR. While thy consider everything during an appeal, remaining in your home country to complete your specialization probably wouldn’t carry sufficient weight to qualify as H&C (you could specialize in Canada) during an appeal.