+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Requirement

Rgds

Jan 18, 2013
Greetings,

Please Help , If the residency requirement is not met ,I can enter Canada or not ? My visa is still valid for 0ne more year , I just stayed for one month.

Please advice.

Rgds.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You will be allowed into Canada but there is a chance you may be reported for failing to meet the residency obligation. If you are reported, you will have to appear in front of a judge to argue why you should be allowed to keep your status. If you are not reported, then you will have to remain in Canada for 730 days without leaving for even one day if you want to be able to renew your PR card and keep your PR status.

Rgds

Jan 18, 2013
Thanks a lot , But is there any chance that judge will allow me stay or will he ask to leave the country.

Rgds

KJ79

Oct 13, 2014
hello, infact I am also in the similar situation,

Dear Rgds, have you got any further information regarding this, I would be really interested to know.

I have also heard the same, it all depends if you are stop at the airport or questioned at airport.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Rgds said:
Thanks a lot , But is there any chance that judge will allow me stay or will he ask to leave the country.

Rgds
If you aren't able to show very strong humanitarian and compassionate reasons for failing to meet the residency obligation, they your PR status will be revoked and you will have to leave the country. Note that working or attending school outside of Canada aren't accepted as reasons for failing to meet the residency obligation.

NishiGogetter

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Hello folks, In similar case, where Visa is still valid for another 2 years, but residency requirement is not meet. If we enter Canada in such case, will it have legal consequence, apart from likelihood of leaving the country.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello folks, In similar case, where Visa is still valid for another 2 years, but residency requirement is not meet. If we enter Canada in such case, will it have legal consequence, apart from likelihood of leaving the country.
What do you mean your visa is still valid for another 2 years ? You mean your PR card expires which is irrelevant to PR status/residency obligation ?

PR status never expires only PR cards expire so if you have not met the residency obligation then next time you enter Canada you could be reported for failing that leading to your PR status being revoked subject to appeal . If you are not reported you stay put in Canada without leaving for 2 plus years and then renew your PR card.

Regardless legally as a PR you are entitled to enter the country whether reported or not there are no other legal consequences beyond whether you are reported for failing the RO.

Reactions: NishiGogetter

NishiGogetter

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
What do you mean your visa is still valid for another 2 years ? You mean your PR card expires which is irrelevant to PR status/residency obligation ?

PR status never expires only PR cards expire so if you have not met the residency obligation then next time you enter Canada you could be reported for failing that leading to your PR status being revoked subject to appeal . If you are not reported you stay put in Canada without leaving for 2 plus years and then renew your PR card.

Regardless legally as a PR you are entitled to enter the country whether reported or not there are no other legal consequences beyond whether you are reported for failing the RO.
Thanks BS65, your suggestion is helpful. Yes I meant PR card only and not Visa.