+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligations may not meet. Options?

LOOKATAMI

May 17, 2018
Could someone please help me on options available to me if residency obligations are not met. Below is my exact scenario

Canada Status: PR card holder, Soft landing done on Sep 1, 2018
Currently living in: US on H1b visa
To maintain RO: Need to enter Canada by Aug 31, 2021 so 2 years out of 5 years are counted towards residency

Due to some personal issues, I may not be able to move to Canada by August, 2021. What options do I've available? Is there a way I could apply for some kind of extension?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Could someone please help me on options available to me if residency obligations are not met. Below is my exact scenario

To maintain RO: Need to enter Canada by Aug 31, 2021 so 2 years out of 5 years are counted towards residency

Due to some personal issues, I may not be able to move to Canada by August, 2021. What options do I've available? Is there a way I could apply for some kind of extension?
There is no extension to meet RO. You chose to live in the US because of a job it seems so I don't see H&C working either. You can try crossing the land border once ready to move to Canada. The longer you are out of compliance the higher the chance you have of being reported at the border and the process to take away your PR will begin. If you want to keep your PR the only sure way is to come to Canada before you strart breaching RO.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that unless you are compliant with your RO you can't sponsor someone. I assume you may be potentially be expecting a baby and want them to be born in the US.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015

Do you plan to move anytime in 2021, or just looking to extend Canada PR as a back-up option till your priority date becomes current in the US. To be true, if you are looking for option 2, I would say that doesn't exist since there is no way to keep on continuing to extend RO.

If you are looking to move to Canada, the lesser you are out of compliance, the better your chances of not getting reported at the border. So, you might still "get-by" at officers discretion at the border if you move in 2021. However, starting 2022 for you, the scrutiny will be much stronger with lesser chances of entering without being reported.

Again, all of it is border agent's discretion, but the moment you are out of compliance, the risk of getting reported keeps on increasing.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To be true, if you are looking for option 2, I would say that doesn't exist since there is no way to keep on continuing to extend RO.
Not available to the OP, but others can keep on continuing to extend RO, such as, by accompanying their Canadian spouses.

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
We are in similar shoes and I would definitely at all cost try to move at the very least before your PR card expires and obviously the sooner the better. I spoke to IRCC and they told me that youre quite likely to be let through without issues as long as you have a valid PR card. You then need to do your very best to stay in Canada for two years before you apply to renew your PR card to get back in compliance. You can stay in Canada as a permanent resident even if your PR card expires as it is not linked to your PR status per se. If PR card expires and you are outside of Canada, you need to apply for a PRTD to get back into the country and this is apparently when you are likely to get into "trouble" with your RO breach.

Last edited: