+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligation to Renew PR status (with frequent overseas business trips)

hpham1.ca

Mar 27, 2023
Hi folks,

I obtained Permanent Residency (first landing) on January 30, 2019 and stayed in Canada for a short 2 weeks. However, due to personal reasons and Covid, I was not able to travel to/ live in Canada until December 2021. The plan was to live in Canada for 2 years continuously and meet the 730 day residency requirement by the end of the 5 year period (Jan 30, 2024).

However, my job in Canada requires frequent business trips overseas and I have to travel outside of Canada for about 6-8 weeks a year. Because of this, I won't be able to meet the residency obligation by Jan 2024.

If I don't have any further trips (which is unlikely), I will have 705 days in Canada by Jan 2024.

I have a few questions:
  • Will my absence (due to overseas business trips) be counted towards my residency obligation?
  • Should I wait until I meet the 730 residency requirements to renew my PR status?
  • If I continue traveling for my business from now until January 2024, will I risk being reported. I have 3 more trips scheduled this year - one in April, one in August and another in September. (Will I be notified if I'm reported and at risk of losing my PR?)
Please help advise. Thank you so much.

H

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Hi folks,

I obtained Permanent Residency (first landing) on January 30, 2019 and stayed in Canada for a short 2 weeks. However, due to personal reasons and Covid, I was not able to travel to/ live in Canada until December 2021. The plan was to live in Canada for 2 years continuously and meet the 730 day residency requirement by the end of the 5 year period (Jan 30, 2024).

However, my job in Canada requires frequent business trips overseas and I have to travel outside of Canada for about 6-8 weeks a year. Because of this, I won't be able to meet the residency obligation by Jan 2024.

If I don't have any further trips (which is unlikely), I will have 705 days in Canada by Jan 2024.

I have a few questions:
  • Will my absence (due to overseas business trips) be counted towards my residency obligation?
  • Should I wait until I meet the 730 residency requirements to renew my PR status?
  • If I continue traveling for my business from now until January 2024, will I risk being reported. I have 3 more trips scheduled this year - one in April, one in August and another in September. (Will I be notified if I'm reported and at risk of losing my PR?)

H
1) No, it won't. There are only very few instances where being overseas is considered compliance with the residence obligation, and business trips are not one of them

2) Yes - this is generally the recommended approach

3) Yes, you are certainly at risk of being questioned about the residency obligation every time you enter Canada. You may also be reported and lose your PR in the process. How big this risk is depends on a number of factors, including the reasons for your absences (especially your lengthy absence prior to moving here). Your projected shortfall by January 2024 (if correct) is not huge, so there is a good chance (but no guarantee) for leniency at the border. But with every additional trip you take your risk increases and so does your shortfall (depending on your previous stays and absences. The saftest approach would be not to travel, but it sounds like this is not an option with your current job.

Reactions: hpham1.ca

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Also note:
  • Once your PR card expires, you can no longer travel back to Canada on commercial transport (i.e. by air carrier). Your only option would be a land border in a private vehicle. This may be challenging for your business trips.
  • Because it is not a good idea to renew your PR card when you do not meet the residency obligation, you will have to wait until you are back in compliance again.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As mentioned by @Besram, you should be prepared to be questioned by a CBSA officer if the officer feels that you may not meet the R.O., or...the officer may just wave your through without questions. Nobody here can tell you either way.

Using a PIK at the airport may help, since your card will still be valid and the machine may not have done the math to determine how many days towards the R.O. you have obtained.

Reactions: hpham1.ca

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi folks,

I have a few questions:

H
How long are most of your business trips? Is it days, weeks or months at a time?

I ask, because you hopefully already understand that a partial day in Canada counts as a full day, when calculating your Residency Obligation number for PR Card renewal. If, for example, you leave Canada at 12:01 AM on a Monday and return at 11:59 on that Friday, you would have two days towards the R.O., which is pretty generous, IMHO.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Hi folks,

I have a few questions:

H
Business trips are not counted. Could face CBSA when you enter Canada with a close date to your PR card expiry. But, still, I believe if your days are not a big gap to 730 and you are working for Canadian company and paying tax and living normally in Canada, I don't see any big problem they will kick you out. They need your tax.

hpham1.ca

Mar 27, 2023
1) No, it won't. There are only very few instances where being overseas is considered compliance with the residence obligation, and business trips are not one of them

2) Yes - this is generally the recommended approach

3) Yes, you are certainly at risk of being questioned about the residency obligation every time you enter Canada. You may also be reported and lose your PR in the process. How big this risk is depends on a number of factors, including the reasons for your absences (especially your lengthy absence prior to moving here). Your projected shortfall by January 2024 (if correct) is not huge, so there is a good chance (but no guarantee) for leniency at the border. But with every additional trip you take your risk increases and so does your shortfall (depending on your previous stays and absences. The saftest approach would be not to travel, but it sounds like this is not an option with your current job.
Thanks. Initially I thought business trips will be counted towards the 730 days… as I am working on a full time basis for a Canadian organization and on a short time assignment overseas. I’ll wait until I meet the RO to submit my renewal application then…

And yes I need to travel for my job… :(

hpham1.ca

Mar 27, 2023
Also note:
  • Once your PR card expires, you can no longer travel back to Canada on commercial transport (i.e. by air carrier). Your only option would be a land border in a private vehicle. This may be challenging for your business trips.
  • Because it is not a good idea to renew your PR card when you do not meet the residency obligation, you will have to wait until you are back in compliance again.
Business trips are not counted. Could face CBSA when you enter Canada with a close date to your PR card expiry. But, still, I believe if your days are not a big gap to 730 and you are working for Canadian company and paying tax and living normally in Canada, I don't see any big problem they will kick you out. They need your tax.
Thanks. Hopefully… I was hoping I could count the business trips but many are saying I can’t. Noted.

hpham1.ca

Mar 27, 2023
How long are most of your business trips? Is it days, weeks or months at a time?

I ask, because you hopefully already understand that a partial day in Canada counts as a full day, when calculating your Residency Obligation number for PR Card renewal. If, for example, you leave Canada at 12:01 AM on a Monday and return at 11:59 on that Friday, you would have two days towards the R.O., which is pretty generous, IMHO.
Most of them are one or two weeks long, the longest was nearly a month. Yeah I’d be about 60 days short by the end of the 1st 5 years…

I wasn’t able to move during the pandemic, and by the time I did, I had less than 2 months + 2 years so I should have stayed in Canada but my job didn’t allow me to do so…

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

I have a few questions:
Clarification: There is no renewing PR status. PR card expiring does not affect PR status. Main thing the card expiring affects is the PR's capacity to return to Canada from abroad (a PR needs a valid PR card, or PR TD, or to travel via the U.S., to return to Canada from abroad).

When to apply for PR card: While there is a LOW risk of triggering 44(1) Inadmissibility proceedings by making a PR card application 30 or 40 days short of meeting the Residency Obligation, for a PR living in Canada, the general consensus in this forum is that it is better to wait. And I agree, especially given that waiting improves the chances of avoiding non-routine processing delays (does not help to rush an application if rushing results in non-routine processing that takes a lot longer to issue a new PR card).

The risks attendant failing to comply with the PR Residency Obligation, when returning to Canada from abroad, might warrant some clarification and elaboration, which I could address separately (if called for). Overall, however, in the circumstances you describe, if at most you have spent no more than 1125 or so days outside Canada before the day in January 2024 that is the fifth year anniversary of the day you landed, meaning you have spent 700 or so days IN Canada by then, your risk of a problem should be low if not very low. As @Besram noted, however, there are no guarantees.

Initially I thought business trips will be counted towards the 730 days… as I am working on a full time basis for a Canadian organization and on a short time assignment overseas.
Credit for time abroad on business: I disagree with @Besram and @bricksonly about "business trips" . . . there is nothing about labeling a temporary assignment abroad for a Canadian business as a "business trip" which precludes that time qualifying for the credit given days employed abroad by a Canadian business. It is NOT the label that matters. It depends on whether the business meets the qualifying requirements (just technically being a Canadian business is not enough) and whether the employee-PR is in full time employment for the business while working abroad (including attending business meetings or such) on behalf of the business. That said, qualifying for this credit is TRICKY. How tricky varies.

It has been four years since I addressed the working-abroad-for-Canadian-business-RO-credit in depth. I have seen nothing indicating any changes to how this credit works since then. Claims that there is no credit available for "business trips" have been debunked. The caveat is that this does not mean a particular PR's "business trips" will get credit either. Whether the credit is available, or not, does NOT depend on whether the time abroad is characterized as a "business trip."

My research and observations regarding this issue, and observations offered by others, can be found in a topic titled "Working Abroad RO credit, including "business trips;" an update," noting that the "update" referenced is as of FOUR years ago (but again, there has been indication of substantive changes since then). See here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/working-abroad-ro-credit-including-business-trips-an-update.607559/

A sample from four years ago:

If a PR is employed on a full-time basis and goes abroad as ASSIGNED to work on behalf of the employer, whether that is for three days or three weeks or six months or a year, why would characterizing this assignment as a "business trip" not meet the "full-time basis" element to qualify for the credit? Here too I have done the research, extensively done the research, and have found NOTHING in the statutory provisions, regulations, IRCC online information, Operational Manuals, IAD decisions, or Federal Court decisions, which even suggests that someone who is employed full time by their Canadian business employer is, somehow, not employed on a full-time basis while they are working abroad just because the time abroad can be characterized as a "business trip."

Characterization of the time abroad as a "business trip" illuminates little of use in determining if it qualifies for the credit.
I have found cases in which business trips did not qualify for the credit. But in all those cases there were specific reasons why either the business or the employment relationship failed to meet the eligibility requirements.

In that topic, and in others, and I will again here ask, if anyone has any source that says a short term assignment abroad does not qualify for the credit because it is or can be characterized as a "business trip," PLEASE share. I have been posing this question for more than a decade, and so far NO ONE has offered any credible let alone authoritative source. (Note: I cite and link many sources in the other topic.)

IF ANYONE HAS ANY CREDIBLE SOURCE showing there is any such rule or policy pursuant to which "business trips" abroad are NOT allowed credit toward PR compliance, PLEASE (please!) share here. I do not pretend to be infallible. I make mistakes. I prefer we get it right.

hpham1.ca

Mar 27, 2023
Clarification: There is no renewing PR status. PR card expiring does not affect PR status. Main thing the card expiring affects is the PR's capacity to return to Canada from abroad (a PR needs a valid PR card, or PR TD, or to travel via the U.S., to return to Canada from abroad).

When to apply for PR card: While there is a LOW risk of triggering 44(1) Inadmissibility proceedings by making a PR card application 30 or 40 days short of meeting the Residency Obligation, for a PR living in Canada, the general consensus in this forum is that it is better to wait. And I agree, especially given that waiting improves the chances of avoiding non-routine processing delays (does not help to rush an application if rushing results in non-routine processing that takes a lot longer to issue a new PR card).

The risks attendant failing to comply with the PR Residency Obligation, when returning to Canada from abroad, might warrant some clarification and elaboration, which I could address separately (if called for). Overall, however, in the circumstances you describe, if at most you have spent no more than 1125 or so days outside Canada before the day in January 2024 that is the fifth year anniversary of the day you landed, meaning you have spent 700 or so days IN Canada by then, your risk of a problem should be low if not very low. As @Besram noted, however, there are no guarantees.

Credit for time abroad on business: I disagree with @Besram and @bricksonly about "business trips" . . . there is nothing about labeling a temporary assignment abroad for a Canadian business as a "business trip" which precludes that time qualifying for the credit given days employed abroad by a Canadian business. It is NOT the label that matters. It depends on whether the business meets the qualifying requirements (just technically being a Canadian business is not enough) and whether the employee-PR is in full time employment for the business while working abroad (including attending business meetings or such) on behalf of the business. That said, qualifying for this credit is TRICKY. How tricky varies.

It has been four years since I addressed the working-abroad-for-Canadian-business-RO-credit in depth. I have seen nothing indicating any changes to how this credit works since then. Claims that there is no credit available for "business trips" have been debunked. The caveat is that this does not mean a particular PR's "business trips" will get credit either. Whether the credit is available, or not, does NOT depend on whether the time abroad is characterized as a "business trip."

My research and observations regarding this issue, and observations offered by others, can be found in a topic titled "Working Abroad RO credit, including "business trips;" an update," noting that the "update" referenced is as of FOUR years ago (but again, there has been indication of substantive changes since then). See here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/working-abroad-ro-credit-including-business-trips-an-update.607559/

A sample from four years ago:

I have found cases in which business trips did not qualify for the credit. But in all those cases there were specific reasons why either the business or the employment relationship failed to meet the eligibility requirements.

In that topic, and in others, and I will again here ask, if anyone has any source that says a short term assignment abroad does not qualify for the credit because it is or can be characterized as a "business trip," PLEASE share. I have been posing this question for more than a decade, and so far NO ONE has offered any credible let alone authoritative source. (Note: I cite and link many sources in the other topic.)
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I have looked into it and have also received mixed opinions on this. I think it would depend on the case officer to decide whether or not to count my business trips as part of the 730 days. I think most will advise me to wait until I meet the 730 RO to submit the application to not risk losing my PR status. And probably no one wants to risk that.

What would be some possible scenarios if I decide to submit a PR renewal application before Jan 30, 2024 and see if they count my business trips as part of the 730 days? I work for a public university so the authenticity of the organization should not be questioned. I can provide supporting documents, employment letter, work trip itineraries... etc.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I have looked into it and have also received mixed opinions on this. I think it would depend on the case officer to decide whether or not to count my business trips as part of the 730 days. I think most will advise me to wait until I meet the 730 RO to submit the application to not risk losing my PR status. And probably no one wants to risk that.

What would be some possible scenarios if I decide to submit a PR renewal application before Jan 30, 2024 and see if they count my business trips as part of the 730 days? I work for a public university so the authenticity of the organization should not be questioned. I can provide supporting documents, employment letter, work trip itineraries... etc.
Because I am NOT an expert and NOT qualified (not at all close) to give personal advice, I generally steer clear of offering suggestions or advice (other than general principles, like be honest with CBSA and IRCC; follow the instructions; and so on). But I am going to wander just a little outside my "lane" here and offer some suggestions.

Bottom-line, you, YOU need to judge for yourself if your employment probably qualifies for the "Employment outside Canada" credit. It is not just about any particular stranger bureaucrat's personal opinion. There are criteria and the official's decision will be based on applying that criteria to the facts.

The criteria is outlined in the guide, in its Appendix, in both IMM 5445 (guide for PR card application; should link) and IMM 5529 (guide for PR TD application; should link). The relevant criteria is set out under the heading "Situation A. Employment outside Canada" in both the PR card and PR TD application guides. With this information, and what you know about your employer and your job, you should be able to figure out:
(1) if your employer meets the definition of a Canadian business or qualified public service organization,​
(2) if your employer will provide the necessary letter consistent with what the guide describes​

What the guide states is consistent with both the applicable statutory provision (see Section 28(2)(a)(iii) IRPA (should link), and the applicable Regulation (see Section 61(1)(c) IRPR (should link).

As I have tried to illuminate, the label "business trip" is not a definitive factor or consideration, if it is much of a factor or consideration at all, in whether days abroad employed by a Canadian business or otherwise qualified organization/enterprise will count toward meeting the PR Residency Obligation.

Moreover, there is generally NO need to even use a term or label like "business trip," to describe the work. Indeed, "business trip" is vague and insubstantial, non-descriptive. If a company posts a job advertisement for a position with a job description no more informative than saying the qualified candidate will engage in business trips, that would invite (or should, but who knows given today's cryptic communication styles, AKA Elon Musk world) wrinkled brows and "huh?"

In a PR card (and similarly a PR TD) application, to claim working-abroad credit a PR only specifies, in the chart for specifying time spent outside Canada (Section 5.5 in the form) that the "reason for absence" is "A," selecting this from a dropdown menu, which correlates to the in-application-form instruction that states:
A: You have been employed on a full-time basis for a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province.

The PR does not provide his or her version of their job description while abroad. They submit (again, as set out in the Appendix under the heading "Situation A. Employment outside Canada"), with the application, "a letter signed by an official of the business that confirms" particular information, documenting information about the business, the PR's employment relationship, and details about the work (the "assignment") outside Canada.

If the letter merely states that the PR is sent outside Canada "for business trips," sure, that's likely to trigger questions, and absent sufficient documentation to show what the PR is sent abroad to do for the employer, that could justify the official processing the application to conclude the PR has failed to establish the time outside Canada qualifies for the working-abroad credit.

While I have no direct experience, it is likely a single letter could suffice to cover several trips outside Canada. Be those trips for five days or four weeks or three months. Probably best if the letter does reference the particular dates or periods, but if the work, the more or less "job description," is mostly the same for each of the trips, and the detail given sufficiently illuminates the employee's duties on behalf of the employer during these trips abroad, essentially to show the reason the employee was abroad was to do this work for the employer, working as a full-time employee, that should be enough to qualify for the credit.

So a lot depends on getting the appropriate letter from someone with authority, documenting their position with the employer, documenting the employer is a Canadian business or public service organization (Federal or Provincial), and documenting the job you are sent abroad to do on behalf of the employer, and if that meets the criteria for the credit, that should cover it. No need to describe the time abroad as business trips even though in general usage many might refer to them as business trips. In fact, describing the time abroad as business trips fails to appropriately describe the nature of the work. Providing specificity in details can be important.

Lawyering-up:

If in doubt, you can consult with a lawyer. I am not up to date with current fees but I'd anticipate this would cost in the $300 to $600 range. Do not bother with so-called "free" consultations. Those are generally not worth any more than what you pay for (which is nothing). If you make an effort to consult with a lawyer, best to carefully and specifically state the purpose of the consultation: to have the lawyer review your employment, including letter from employer, to give an opinion about whether you qualify for the working-abroad credit. The more specific and narrow you can articulate the purpose, going into it, the better your odds of getting a useful consultation and limiting the cost. So continue to do your homework and figure out as much of this for yourself before seeing the lawyer.

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
Hi @dpenabill

Before we proceed, I would like to make a disclaimer that the issue I am about to discuss with you is not a final decision, and I still plan to consult with immigration lawyers and have an in-depth discussion with them.

My concern is regarding a potential job opportunity that has come up for me in Canada. I came to Canada from Saudi Arabia and have been able to establish myself here within a month. I currently have a full-time job at a major Canadian company that aligns with my previous work experience, and I intend to stay here for the foreseeable future. Its been a total of 4 months that I have been inside Canada so far.

The opportunity that has arisen is with a Religious Group Tourism Company based in Canada, which has been in operation for over ten years, has a significant online and community presence, and is interested in hiring me as their tour operator/coordinator for Canadian/PR customer groups. The company specializes in selling tour packages for Hajj and Umrah travel to Saudi Arabia. They are interested in hiring me due to my extensive experience living in Saudi Arabia and my hospitality experience running a family-owned lodge in India, which also helped me secure my PR.

The tours wwill focus on three cities in Saudi Arabia: Jeddah, Makkah, and Medina. Jeddah is where I was born and lived for the majority of my life, I worked in Medina for two years, and Makkah is a 45-minute drive from Jeddah. This is a potential red flag imo but easy to explain I guess because I am an Indian and I don't have any ties to Saudi Arabia except my past and that my father still works there.

Continuing, I would be with the group for the entire journey, and the company would be sending multiple groups over the course of 3-6 months so I will likely be stationed inside Saudi Arabia and maybe sometimes travel back with the group if needed. During this time, I would be paid in CAD, working either as a full-time employee or as a T4 contractor, and earning a biweekly salary. The business is owned by a fellow Indian, but I have no familial or distant connections with the owner; I met them through a friend on a chance encounter.

Canadian assets wise, I will also own a car here, continue my lease of a shared accommodation situation and will be frequently coming back to Canada, especially during off-season months for extended durations.

My doubt is more focussed towards citizenship as I will have to depend on IRCC accepting my work assignments outside Canada to give me a chance at it.

From this little information and your lots of research on this topic and reading previous judgements, will you please share your educated opinion on this?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi @dpenabill

Before we proceed, I would like to make a disclaimer that the issue I am about to discuss with you is not a final decision, and I still plan to consult with immigration lawyers and have an in-depth discussion with them.

My concern is regarding a potential job opportunity that has come up for me in Canada. I came to Canada from Saudi Arabia and have been able to establish myself here within a month. I currently have a full-time job at a major Canadian company that aligns with my previous work experience, and I intend to stay here for the foreseeable future. Its been a total of 4 months that I have been inside Canada so far.

The opportunity that has arisen is with a Religious Group Tourism Company based in Canada, which has been in operation for over ten years, has a significant online and community presence, and is interested in hiring me as their tour operator/coordinator for Canadian/PR customer groups. The company specializes in selling tour packages for Hajj and Umrah travel to Saudi Arabia. They are interested in hiring me due to my extensive experience living in Saudi Arabia and my hospitality experience running a family-owned lodge in India, which also helped me secure my PR.

The tours wwill focus on three cities in Saudi Arabia: Jeddah, Makkah, and Medina. Jeddah is where I was born and lived for the majority of my life, I worked in Medina for two years, and Makkah is a 45-minute drive from Jeddah. This is a potential red flag imo but easy to explain I guess because I am an Indian and I don't have any ties to Saudi Arabia except my past and that my father still works there.

Continuing, I would be with the group for the entire journey, and the company would be sending multiple groups over the course of 3-6 months so I will likely be stationed inside Saudi Arabia and maybe sometimes travel back with the group if needed. During this time, I would be paid in CAD, working either as a full-time employee or as a T4 contractor, and earning a biweekly salary. The business is owned by a fellow Indian, but I have no familial or distant connections with the owner; I met them through a friend on a chance encounter.

Canadian assets wise, I will also own a car here, continue my lease of a shared accommodation situation and will be frequently coming back to Canada, especially during off-season months for extended durations.

My doubt is more focussed towards citizenship as I will have to depend on IRCC accepting my work assignments outside Canada to give me a chance at it.

From this little information and your lots of research on this topic and reading previous judgements, will you please share your educated opinion on this?
Credit for days outside Canada toward meeting the PR RO based on employment with organizations is complicated and tricky. As I have emphasized, I am NO expert, and any effort to analyze this practically is well beyond what I can do. That said, other than what amounts to being in the employ of a clearly qualified Canadian entity IN Canada, and then being assigned TEMPORARILY to a work outside Canada, better to assume NO credit UNLESS a competent lawyer opines otherwise after a careful review of all the relevant details (a formal, paid-for opinion). Getting hired to do work outside Canada, in contrast to having an IN Canada job and then getting a temporary assignment outside Canada, seems risky to me.

Odds of qualifying for credit toward the physical presence requirements to be eligible for a grant of citizenship probably range from not at all good to none. As best I can discern.

Reactions: imransyed

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
I will be hired full time and working in Canada with extended on-site assignments (the IT lingo) but this is not for a foreign client and directly for the Canadian business that employs me and its customers who are out on pilgrimage. (boring) Part of my job will be documentation and admin tasks from the office here in Canada, stuff like getting visa documentation in order, hotel booking and things of that nature.

T4 is out of the picture completely then. I will discuss this with the lawyers now.