+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency obligation- supporting documents

savik

Jan 29, 2018
Hi all
I’m getting my application ready for PR renewal. I have over 730 days and I’m eligible for renewal. I’m not employed. I’m submitting my notice of assessment and bank statements as proof.. How many statements do you all think is enough to submit as proof. It is not clear on the website. Looking at suggestions from experts and fellow applicants here
Thank you

Reactions: Registereduser

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all
I’m getting my application ready for PR renewal. I have over 730 days and I’m eligible for renewal. I’m not employed. I’m submitting my notice of assessment and bank statements as proof.. How many statements do you all think is enough to submit as proof. It is not clear on the website. Looking at suggestions from experts and fellow applicants here
Thank you
This question comes up often!

So, when applying to renew a PR Card, the PR has to `convince' IRCC that they have met the R.O. (Residency Obligation) to maintain their PR status. I will admit that I was one of those that just assumed that the CBSA entry (and possible exit) records were enough, since IRCC can likely access those records. But I was wrong! They do add value, but they do NOT expressly prove residency; they only (really) show a date when the PR entered Canada...nothing more.

In terms of supporting documents, your NOA and a couple of bank statements would seem to suffice, especially if you provide bank statements that show `active' activity in your community (ATM use nearby, local stores and/or restaurants, etc.) since it would show that you were using your debit/credit card in-person in those places, rather than shopping online.

I suggest including just a couple of statements (a couple of years apart, maybe).

Jun 20, 2023
I also recently applied for a PRTD document (as PR card expired in April-2023) from outside Canada through the PR portal. For residency obligation, they have asked for 2 pieces of supporting evidence. I provided NOA from CRA from the last 5 years and my existing Rogers mobile phone invoices from the past 6 months? Is it enough evidence?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also recently applied for a PRTD document (as PR card expired in April-2023) from outside Canada through the PR portal. For residency obligation, they have asked for 2 pieces of supporting evidence. I provided NOA from CRA from the last 5 years and my existing Rogers mobile phone invoices from the past 6 months? Is it enough evidence?
Not sure how much credence the phone bill would be, since it only shows call history (your phone could have been anywhere in the world when making/receiving the call(s)). Hopefully, you'll be fine with the NOA, along with the CBSA info.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
NOA will be helpful if it shows that you have been employed in Canada for a certain amount of time in Canada. A phone bill does not prove you are in Canada. Anyone could use your phone in Canada and you can have a valid account while living abroad.

Jun 20, 2023
NOA will be helpful if it shows that you have been employed in Canada for a certain amount of time in Canada. A phone bill does not prove you are in Canada. Anyone could use your phone in Canada and you can have a valid account while living abroad.
What should my hours of action now? I have already submitted the application. There is no option to add anything additional.