+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligation - PR holder on US L1 work visa

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Thanks for the tips bricksonly!

My plan precisely is to do just that, plus I get every other Friday off, giving the chance to enter Canada before 00:00 Fri. I am wary of that much travel though as I might need to do that for about 5 months in order to keep RO. First 5 years will be up in Apr. 3, 2019, and I have only 35 days of buffer...
As your physically presence in Canada above 730 days every time you enter, there is no problem. And I bet CBP/CBSA officers on both side of Peace Bridge will know you well as a frequent US-Canada job-based traveller. And, you don't have to worry about the long waiting time for PR card renewal, you don't need it if you always pass US-Canada land PoE.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dropping your health care coverage would be very risky if you spend 5 days a week in the US and most of the business hours to actually see a physician. You can't time when you get sick or have something like a car accident. Canada isn't going to cover your costs of care or fly you to Canada to receive care.

sl_aniw

Apr 5, 2018
As your physically presence in Canada above 730 days every time you enter, there is no problem. And I bet CBP/CBSA officers on both side of Peace Bridge will know you well as a frequent US-Canada job-based traveller. And, you don't have to worry about the long waiting time for PR card renewal, you don't need it if you always pass US-Canada land PoE.
I was wondering about that wait time. The CoPR paper is enough for land crossings then?

sl_aniw

Apr 5, 2018
Dropping your health care coverage would be very risky if you spend 5 days a week in the US and most of the business hours to actually see a physician. You can't time when you get sick or have something like a car accident. Canada isn't going to cover your costs of care or fly you to Canada to receive care.
Thanks for contributing. The intention is to spend 4 out of 7 days in Canada, and up to 5 out of 7 days every other week (enter Canada Thurs before 12 midnight, leave Canada Mon after 12 midnight)

The company provides health insurance/coverage in the US (not sure how that works), and I am hoping to keep my Canada coverage as well.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Thanks for contributing. The intention is to spend 4 out of 7 days in Canada, and up to 5 out of 7 days every other week (enter Canada Thurs before 12 midnight, leave Canada Mon after 12 midnight)

The company provides health insurance/coverage in the US (not sure how that works), and I am hoping to keep my Canada coverage as well.
If you're going to be on OHIP, then it would be very hard to satisfy the initial physical presence requirements, since it would require you to be physically present in Canada for 153 days out of the first 6 months of establishing residence in Ontario:

To maintain eligibility for OHIP coverage you must be an eligible resident of Ontario. This means that you must :

• have an OHIP-eligible citizenship/immigration status; and
  • be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
  • be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
  • make your primary place of residence in Ontario.
After that, it's to be physically present in Ontario for 153 days out of any rolling 12 month-period, which is doable by your arrangement, but the initial 153 days out of the first 180 days can pose a challenge.

Also, besides physical presence requirement, you also need to make Ontario your primary place of residence. I'm not sure how tough it would be to convince them that, despite being in the US for so many days within a week, you're primarily resident of Ontario.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you're going to be on OHIP, then it would be very hard to satisfy the initial physical presence requirements, since it would require you to be physically present in Canada for 153 days out of the first 6 months of establishing residence in Ontario:

After that, it's to be physically present in Ontario for 153 days out of any rolling 12 month-period, which is doable by your arrangement, but the initial 153 days out of the first 180 days can pose a challenge.

Also, besides physical presence requirement, you also need to make Ontario your primary place of residence. I'm not sure how tough it would be to convince them that, despite being in the US for so many days within a week, you're primarily resident of Ontario.
Think the rule is that you can't be gone for more than 30 days in the first 6 months but sounds like you won't be able to meet that requirement. If you sign up for OHIP and hope that nobody notices that you don't meet the requirements that's fraud and you could be asked to repay all the healthcare costs yo have used.

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Think the rule is that you can't be gone for more than 30 days in the first 6 months but sounds like you won't be able to meet that requirement. If you sign up for OHIP and hope that nobody notices that you don't meet the requirements that's fraud and you could be asked to repay all the healthcare costs yo have used.
Do you know if that's the first 6 months after you begin to receive OHIP, or the first 6 months including the 3 month waiting period before you're eligible?

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Do you know if that's the first 6 months after you begin to receive OHIP, or the first 6 months including the 3 month waiting period before you're eligible?
From the website: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx

You may be out of the province for up to 212 days in any 12-month period and still maintain your Ontario health insurance coverage provided that you continue to make Ontario your primary place of residence.

To maintain eligibility for OHIP coverage you must be an eligible resident of Ontario. This means that you must :

• have an OHIP-eligible citizenship/immigration status; and
  • be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
  • be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
  • make your primary place of residence in Ontario.
If you will be out of the province for more than 212 days in any 12-month period, please refer to the Longer Absences from Ontario fact sheet.​

Sorry to hijack thread, but does this mean from when I moved to Ontario (as spouse waiting for inland app) or when I became PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It starts when you enter the province
]
Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home

Reactions: Will_PA

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
It starts when you enter the province
]
Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When you become a PR I believe or maybe when you get AIP. But I would say PR. You do have to qualify for OHIP or to be in the waiting period to meet the residency requirement, Right now you are a visitor.