+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligation for PR - Some family - Re-sponsor?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, it would, but I know it isn't going to happen. He'll have to take his chances on not having everything transfer. My wife took classes in Canada years ago and the classes transferred to the US. I'm hoping that if he goes to our branch of the University of Texas that most will transfer when he moves. He was already accepted to the University and won't be doing community college. I know not all will transfer, and it may subsequently take him longer to graduate, but I just realistically know he's not going to go until the rest of us move. He has no desire to go away to college, much less all the way to Canada without us. I know to some it will sound crazy, but that's just the situation.
Was only suggesting he move when you move. Hard to get classes transferred between Canadian universities except general and arts classes so I think it may be a challenge.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We have walk in clinics, but can you afford them? In the US, we don't have single-payer healthcare like in Canada. You can go see a doctor whenever you want, but if you don't have healthcare it is horribly expensive. In the US we have some of the highest healthcare costs with outcomes that are not as good in other countries like Canada and much of Europe where there is government funded healthcare. If you get sick in the US and don't have healthcare, you could die from not being able to afford care. That doesn't happen in Canada because everyone has healthcare, whether or not you have a job that provides it for you or if you can afford to buy health insurance on your own. It's one of the great things about Canada. Now, in Canada, visitors (in most cases) are not covered. You are covered if you are a Citizen, a PR, or some other classes of legal immigrant that qualify. Healthcare is a joke in the US. I have good healthcare insurance through my job. For that about $900 a month is taken out of my paychecks for the premium. Then when I go to the doctor, I have co-pays. Most of the time, whatever I have done, like tests etc, aren't covered so I end up getting bills later in the mail for whatever the insurance didn't cover. It's a mafia over here.
Except BC. Every residents (except low income people) would have to pay premiums. If they don't pay, they will not be covered.

Navily

Dec 27, 2017
Hello everyone,
I have a question re my migration plan and was hoping to get help from the seniors on this group. My PR application was submitted last year in march (also did my medical in march 2016) however I got the passport request now for visa stamping.
I understand that they will ask me to do landing by march 2017 i.e. Before my medical expires

I am fine with that and will complete the landing/PR card issuing process by march. my concern is about the final move....I am planning to come back now and move after 2.5 years in order to meet the residency requirements. However my wife and child will not move with me.
My questions are:

1) if I move alone after 2.5 years, can my wife and son still hold the pr status and not be physically present in Canada?
2) if not, what needs to be done if they plan to join me after 4/5 years of our initial landing? Do they cancel their prs and I sponsor them again? If yes, what are the requirements? Any links you can share?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately the Canadian system still has it pitfalls. Prescription medication are often not covered (there are some exceptions) so if you don't have extended health benefits through your work you have to pay cash for your medication. There are many Canadians who don't fill prescriptions because they are unaffordable.

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
June 02, 2015 (MR, RPRF, & PCC for Spouse)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent w/Application: L-8.5, R-9.0, W-9.0, S-8.5
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
June 19, 2015; TLU (Medical results have been received): July 20, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Required as I was a US Citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Issued Jan 07, 2016 - Arrived in Mail Jan 21, 2016
LANDED..........
June 19, 2016 - FINALLY - HURRAY!!!!
Unfortunately the Canadian system still has it pitfalls. Prescription medication are often not covered (there are some exceptions) so if you don't have extended health benefits through your work you have to pay cash for your medication. There are many Canadians who don't fill prescriptions because they are unaffordable.
Sure, there's still room for improvement. Which they are working on: As of Jan 1, 2018 in the province of Ontario, prescription medications will be free for people from birth until age 25. I can only imagine this will later expand to cover others. At least things are working towards improvement. Unfortunately in the US we are going the other direction.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sure, there's still room for improvement. Which they are working on: As of Jan 1, 2018 in the province of Ontario, prescription medications will be free for people from birth until age 25. I can only imagine this will later expand to cover others. At least things are working towards improvement. Unfortunately in the US we are going the other direction.
Don't think I share your optimism. Covering the cost of Rxs for young people under 25 usually involves inexpensive drugs like antibiotics and less medication because many children are not on daily medication. The price range would go way up if they covered the cost of medication for adults from 25-50. Can't see that happening. Actually see the deductible for seniors going up except for low income seniors. Most seniors can afford it much more than the younger generation. Think the decision has more to do with politics than anything. Unfortunately I don't expect that other provinces will follow suit and we are still borrowing the money to pay for these programs so eventually we will have to pay for all the borrowing we have done. And no I didn't vote conservative.

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1) if I move alone after 2.5 years, can my wife and son still hold the pr status and not be physically present in Canada?
2.5 years = 912.5 or 913 days that you would be absent from Canada. So, as for yourself, if you do a quick landing and then return in 2.5 years and stay, you will be OK. However, keep in mind that you must be in Canada for at least 730 days within the 5-year period starting with your landing date to retain your PR. If you, after moving in 2.5 years leave again or come in and out of Canada, you will have to ensure that you meet the 730 day requirement to avoid possibly losing your PR status.

The same applies to your wife and son. They must meet this requirement also. They do not lose their PR status unless they don’t meet the Residency Obligation (RO) requirement: 2-years within the 5 years beginning on your landing date. (aka 730 days in that 5 year period)

2) if not, what needs to be done if they plan to join me after 4/5 years of our initial landing? Do they cancel their prs and I sponsor them again? If yes, what are the requirements? Any links you can share?
If your wife and son do not join you until after 4+ years they will NOT meet the RO – that 730 days that they must be in Canada to retain their PR. As someone mentioned earlier in a post, they could try to come in and do an appeal to stay since you would then turn around and re-sponsor them. I don’t know if that would work. There is a thing that you can renounce your PR, and then you could re-sponsor them, but I don’t know if it’s better to do that or wait until their PR would be revoked. Not sure what is better between those options. In any case, if they lose their PR, which, unless they win an appeal, they would as they didn’t meet their RO, then you could re-sponsor your wife, and, if your son is still of dependent age, you could sponsor him as well. Currently the dependent age is 22. It was raised by to 22 by Trudeau after the previous PM, Harper had lowered it to 19. So that age could change. If your son is nowhere near those ages he should be fine to re-sponsor.

See this link on PR Status:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

Reactions: Navily

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Don't think I share your optimism. Covering the cost of Rxs for young people under 25 usually involves inexpensive drugs like antibiotics and less medication because many children are not on daily medication. The price range would go way up if they covered the cost of medication for adults from 25-50. Can't see that happening. Actually see the deductible for seniors going up except for low income seniors. Most seniors can afford it much more than the younger generation. Think the decision has more to do with politics than anything. Unfortunately I don't expect that other provinces will follow suit and we are still borrowing the money to pay for these programs so eventually we will have to pay for all the borrowing we have done. And no I didn't vote conservative.
Fair enough. But, it's still better than no coverage like here in the US. It helps kids that do get sick, and kids that have chronic illness. Also, it helps college kids get the medicines they need if they are sick while they are studying for their career, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based on your answer on another thread not moving due to uncertainty and not wanting to leave a job will not be grounds for appeal so you might want to skip the appeal process and just renounce and sponsor again if you still qualify. It seems like you habe not fully committed to the idea of moving to Canada so you will have to wait and see how you feel in 4-5 years. In order for you to sponsor you family again you must make sure that you are in compliance with your TO or else your PR will be revoked.

Navily

Dec 27, 2017
2.5 years = 912.5 or 913 days that you would be absent from Canada. So, as for yourself, if you do a quick landing and then return in 2.5 years and stay, you will be OK. However, keep in mind that you must be in Canada for at least 730 days within the 5-year period starting with your landing date to retain your PR. If you, after moving in 2.5 years leave again or come in and out of Canada, you will have to ensure that you meet the 730 day requirement to avoid possibly losing your PR status.

The same applies to your wife and son. They must meet this requirement also. They do not lose their PR status unless they don’t meet the Residency Obligation (RO) requirement: 2-years within the 5 years beginning on your landing date. (aka 730 days in that 5 year period)

If your wife and son do not join you until after 4+ years they will NOT meet the RO – that 730 days that they must be in Canada to retain their PR. As someone mentioned earlier in a post, they could try to come in and do an appeal to stay since you would then turn around and re-sponsor them. I don’t know if that would work. There is a thing that you can renounce your PR, and then you could re-sponsor them, but I don’t know if it’s better to do that or wait until their PR would be revoked. Not sure what is better between those options. In any case, if they lose their PR, which, unless they win an appeal, they would as they didn’t meet their RO, then you could re-sponsor your wife, and, if your son is still of dependent age, you could sponsor him as well. Currently the dependent age is 22. It was raised by to 22 by Trudeau after the previous PM, Harper had lowered it to 19. So that age could change. If your son is nowhere near those ages he should be fine to re-sponsor.

See this link on PR Status:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

Thank you for sharing the details, really appreciate it

As Canuck suggested, I don't think I have reasonable grounds to appeal but it's comforting to know that atleast i can re-sponsor them after I become citizen (which will be in 3 years time)....my son is just 4 months old so he would be a dependent anyway.
Once again thanks and best wishes the new year :)

Navily

Dec 27, 2017
Based on your answer on another thread not moving due to uncertainty and not wanting to leave a job will not be grounds for appeal so you might want to skip the appeal process and just renounce and sponsor again if you still qualify. It seems like you habe not fully committed to the idea of moving to Canada so you will have to wait and see how you feel in 4-5 years. In order for you to sponsor you family again you must make sure that you are in compliance with your TO or else your PR will be revoked.
Thanks for the guidance. You are absolutely right, I have not committed to the idea of moving yet and it's not easy to make a decision (esp for a confused person like me :)) with all the Commitments I have.
Therefore just trying to understand the possibilities - one of them seems like me or my wife moves and gets the citizenship.
Thanks for the help and happy new year in advance :)