+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency for asistant prof. at Quebec, bringing parents

ResearcherUS

Mar 1, 2014
Hi,

I received a full-time assistant professorship offer from a Phd offering University at Quebec, Canada. Before getting faculty offer, I received my PhD from North Carolina State University at USA in the field of Computer science. I received my BS and MS in the field of computer science at Turkey. I am working as a Research Scientist at USA for 2 two years and an adjunct faculty at USA.

One important factor for me is to be able to bring my mother with me, as soon as possible, so that she can stay with me (she is old and need my help).

I read some facts about parent Super visa, but it seems it requires a permanent residency. How long would it take for me to take a permanent residency as an assistant professor at Canada (with possible financial investments I could do as well, if it would help).

I need your inputs very shortly to decide whether to accept the offer or not.

dippin

Feb 15, 2014
Your university will help you get your work permit, which will be good for 3 years (if you're tenure-track and will be up for a mid-tenure review at that point). This part is easy. I do not know if you can bring family members other than your spouse with you at this point. That's a good question to ask the CIC hotline. Or use the eligibility tool on the CIC website and answer as if you were your parent.

When you land in Canada, you can apply for permanent residence. If you speak french already, that will help; otherwise you have to learn french. (typically your university will offer you free language courses). Then you apply for a "Certificat de selection du Quebec" - processing takes typically about 10 weeks I think. With that, you can apply for permanent residency. Right now processing times are 20 months, according to CIC.

So, if you already speak french you are looking at a couple of years at least; if you don't, a couple of years + however long it takes to learn intermediate-advanced french.

hth