+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residence Requirement - Date of Absence

stellahello

Star Member
Aug 1, 2013
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the residence requirement. I had been in the U.S. from June 23 to July 15. I was also in Canada on June 23 and July 15. In the residence calculator, I am required to insert the absences from Canada. Which date should I insert? Is it going to be June 24? Or 23?

From to
June 24 July 14
Or
June 23 July 15

Please advise me which one is correct. Thank you,

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stellahello said:
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the residence requirement. I had been in the U.S. from June 23 to July 15. I was also in Canada on June 23 and July 15. In the residence calculator, I am required to insert the absences from Canada. Which date should I insert? Is it going to be June 24? Or 23?

From to
June 24 July 14
Or
June 23 July 15

Please advise me which one is correct. Thank you,
Hi,

You can put the date you left Canada in 'From' and put date you entered back in Canada in 'To'. Rest leave it on online residence calculator. The day you left Canada is counted as an absence from Canada and date you returned to Canada is counted as a presence. The time you leave and enter Canada is important here. For example, if you leave Canada at 11 PM on August 05 to enter USA and return to Canada at 12:30 AM on August 06 i.e. within 1.5 hours - You are absent from Canada for a day. Alternatively, if you leave Canada at 6 AM on August 05 and return back at 11 PM on August 05, then you are not absent from Canada. It is considered as a same day trip. So, calendar date for entry and exit is considered into calculation.

stellahello

Star Member
Aug 1, 2013
rajmalhotra7 said:
Hi,

You can put the date you left Canada in 'From' and put date you entered back in Canada in 'To'. Rest leave it on online residence calculator. The day you left Canada is counted as an absence from Canada and date you returned to Canada is counted as a presence. The time you leave and enter Canada is important here. For example, if you leave Canada at 11 PM on August 05 to enter USA and return to Canada at 12:30 AM on August 06 i.e. within 1.5 hours - You are absent from Canada for a day. Alternatively, if you leave Canada at 6 AM on August 05 and return back at 11 PM on August 05, then you are not absent from Canada. It is considered as a same day trip. So, calendar date for entry and exit is considered into calculation.
Thank you for the response. Now I have another question here. I went to the boarder to become a permanent resident. I did't go to the us and it was just flag pole. Should I also enter this? If so, I am not sure what I can say for destination column.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stellahello said:
Thank you for the response. Now I have another question here. I went to the boarder to become a permanent resident. I did't go to the us and it was just flag pole. Should I also enter this? If so, I am not sure what I can say for destination column.
You can attach a separate sheet to explain this.