+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residant - sold UK company and Taxed at source?

sherpeck

Jul 29, 2013
Hi any advice would be amazing.

In last 5 years we have been trying to make the full time move to Canada.
I have not worked in Canada and thus kept my tax residency in the UK, spend only just 730 days in Canada.
My partner was tax resident in Canada for 2 years out of last 5.

All tax forms filed via accountant each year to make sure everything above board and correct.

2013 tax year he has been tax resedant in UK for 8 months and will move and start a busines in Canada by September 2013. I am asuming this allows him to be tax domicel in UK for this tax year.

Question we are just about to sell our UK company and qualify to 10% start up business tax at source in the UK. That money of course we will then want to move to Canada to start our new lives. BC = Brings Cash after all!

As this was a UK business, taxed in the UK and he/we are seen as UK domicile tax payers in the year 2013. Can the Canadian goverment take a share in Tax??

Also my partner sold a property this year at "no capital gains" we have a french certificate to state this. We have transphered the funds into our Canada account. Again can the Canadian Goverment take any?

Any help would be really grateful as this could make or break our full time move across.

cheers