+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residance obligation for PR in canada.

Asa22

Oct 27, 2014
Hi all
I sent my application for renewal pr card and they received on begining of july . But still ecas isn't show my application online ! It seems its not in process yet . Its almost 4 month !! I'v checked the website and they are working on application received up to 3th jun im so worry is there any one that sent on july ? How long does it takes for proccessing ? Its growing to 172 days now :eek:

jssandhu

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks for earlier valuable responses.My question is that on PR card renewal application(IMM5444), on page no -1 they require " Date you became a permanent resident of canada and on page no 2 ,at serial no 21 ( Travel History) they require period to be a assessed.My confusion is that on this forum i read that they asses/watch/see past 5 years for the checking of meeting RO requirement from the date when applicant signed his application for PR card renewal application.What i will or i can write in these two columns ( page no1 & Page 2 sr no 21) when i will fill up and sign form in Mid Jan.2016 as you stated in last discussion .Why they will assess period other then ( from date of landing to till 5 years window closing) means if i signed my application on mid of Jan.2016,what i will fill up in PR card renewal applications(IMM5444).My five years will end on 07/12/2015 but some days will remains short meeting RO .Previous answers give me a lot of help in decision , stress free days .Thanks all.

Thanks & Regards

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The reference to the date of landing is to see if you've been a PR for more or less than 5 years....PRs also apply for PR Cards if they get lost or stolen which may be within the 5 year window. Some PRs also land without an address, leave Canada and have to apply for a PR Card when they settle in say 6 months time. If a PR for more than 5 years then 5 year period prior to signing date is review period. If a PR less than 5 years then its to 5th anniversary so forward looking to see if you can make the dates. Sorry nothing has changed for your day count as advised before.

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
The info shared here seems clumsy to understand. What i have understood so far is that in order to keep the PR alive and breathing so that you can renew it and also have it counted towards your canadian citizenship application (that has wait times of 2-3 years), you need to live in Canada for 730 days out of 5 years rolling period.

For example: John got PR and started living in Canada from Oct 1, 2014 till Nov 1,2016 => He satisfied the 730 day rule and is eligible to apply for PR renewal in Oct, 2019 when the 5 year PR card expires. He will become ineligible to renew PR if he his live-in canada period was older than the last 5 years , for example anytime before 2014 Oct will not be counted.

bonty

Star Member
Dec 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
AUH
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
Doc's Request.
27-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-02-2014
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2014
LANDED..........
01-11-2014
dream16 said:
The info shared here seems clumsy to understand. What i have understood so far is that in order to keep the PR alive and breathing so that you can renew it and also have it counted towards your canadian citizenship application (that has wait times of 2-3 years), you need to live in Canada for 730 days out of 5 years rolling period.

For example: John got PR and started living in Canada from Oct 1, 2014 till Nov 1,2016 => He satisfied the 730 day rule and is eligible to apply for PR renewal in Oct, 2019 when the 5 year PR card expires. He will become ineligible to renew PR if he his live-in canada period was older than the last 5 years , for example anytime before 2014 Oct will not be counted.
From the date you are filling your application for the renewal of your card you must meet 730 days RO in the preceding 5 years no matter your landing was 7 years back from you application filling date.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Sometimes the technicalities are a distraction.

For practical purposes, for clarity, better to separately consider calculating when a PR can safely make an application to replace an expiring or expired PR card versus assessing compliance with the PR Residency Obligation (PR RO) generally.

However, in both respects, as others have said but it bears emphasis: the date of expiration on the PR card is NOT relevant!

For any PR applying to replace an already expired PR card (thus a PR who landed and became a PR more than five years previous), the PR should not apply unless and until the PR has been present in Canada more than 730 days within the five years immediately preceding the date of applying.

It is really that simple. Look back over the preceding five years and count the days present. Give yourself a margin.

Do NOT apply as soon as reaching this threshold. Again, give yourself a margin. Technically 730 days suffices. Anyone who cuts it that close can expect delays, suspicions, elevated scrutiny, since, after all, they have clearly been living outside Canada quite a lot more than in Canada ,since becoming a PR, so the inference that they may not have been in Canada all the days they claim is an easy one to make.

jssandhu

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks all of you .Please tell me percentage of chances at airport to report by immigration officers to the person who does not meet RO(2-3 months short) or we can say for a person whose 2 -3 months will remains short for fulfilling 730 days presence condition but his PR card will expires in Dec.2015 last weak,if he tries to enter canada now in month of dec.2014

Thanks & regards

bonty

Star Member
Dec 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
AUH
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
Doc's Request.
27-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-02-2014
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2014
LANDED..........
01-11-2014
jssandhu said:
Thanks all of you .Please tell me percentage of chances at airport to report by immigration officers to the person who does not meet RO(2-3 months short) or we can say for a person whose 2 -3 months will remains short for fulfilling 730 days presence condition but his PR card will expires in Dec.2015 last weak,if he tries to enter canada now in month of dec.2014

Thanks & regards
It Depends on the IO and the time you have spent out of Canada before arriving back, the more time you have spent outside the more likely you are to be questioned. You can also use the Kiosk at immigration.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Agree with the observations posted by bonty.

Remember, however, that the date the PR card expires is largely not relevant.

The relevant date, for a PR who landed (and became a PR) within the previous five years, is the fifth year anniversary of the date of landing. It is by that date that the PR must have 730 days presence in Canada.

And it is worth emphasizing bonty's observation that "the more time you have spent outside the more likely you are to be questioned." In particular, a PR who has been outside Canada for more than 1095 days is almost certainly going to be examined regarding residency obligation compliance, with rather predictable results (as in a 44(1) inadmissibility report being issued unless there are H&C grounds sufficient to persuade the examining officer otherwise).

On the other hand, the more time there is left before the fifth year anniversary, the better the odds are that CBSA will not pursue a residency examination.

Any PR who is even close to breaching the PR residency obligation, let alone who falls short, should be prepared to make their best H&C case to the examining CBSA officers upon arrival at the POE. Be sure to have all supporting documentation in hand, in carry-on, not in checked baggage. (For example, if the H&C argument is based on delayed returned due to medical issues, either for the PR or an immediate family member, have supporting medical records in hand when approaching the POE.)

jssandhu

Oct 22, 2014
thanks all for quick reply .

Pls tell me i am staying in my home country due to my mother illness from June 2014 to till date and i was engaged in my mother treatment when i came back from canada on dated 09/08/2014 and now within 20 days ,my mother treatment will be complete and feels well now and i am planning for return to canada on 14/01/2015 ,but i will be approximately 03 months short to fullfill RO conditions.so suggest me what documents i can bring to show at airport if officers demands for considering on H & C basis.we have a hospital card with every vising date to hospital for doctor check up are mentioned on card as well as medicines to be used details for treatments also mentioned on card .I should be reuired to bring hospital /treatment card originals or photocopies or statement /detail / history of illness on letter pad by document engaged in my mother treatment is required to show CBSA as well as CIC at time of PR renewal card application time.

Thanks & Regards

jssandhu

Oct 22, 2014

Pls tell me i am staying in my home country due to my mother illness from June 2014 to till date and i was engaged in my mother treatment when i came back from canada on dated 09/08/2014 and now within 20 days ,my mother treatment will be complete and feels well now and i am planning for return to canada on 14/01/2015 ,but i will be approximately 03 months short to fullfill RO conditions.so suggest me what documents i can bring to show at airport if officers demands for considering on H & C basis.we have a hospital card with every vising date to hospital for doctor check up are mentioned on card as well as medicines to be used details for treatments also mentioned on card .I should be reuired to bring hospital /treatment card originals or photocopies or statement /detail / history of illness on letter pad by document engaged in my mother treatment is required to show CBSA as well as CIC at time of PR renewal card application time.

Thanks & Regards

jssandhu

Oct 22, 2014

Thanks & Regards

jssandhu

Oct 22, 2014

Thanks & Regards

jssandhu

Oct 22, 2014

Thanks & Regards

walidcanada

Star Member
Jul 17, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

Thanks for the fruitfull info.

Actually I'm yet yearly to plan for my landing but I know that it's good to get aware of all immigration aspects.

I read alot about the PR renewal process and I think the more I read about it the more I get confused. Honestly speaking I think it's v simple idea but I'm complicating myself.

My questions are:

1. The five year counting down starts from the Medical test or date of landing?

2. Can I land for a month and then be outside canada for a 2.9 years and go back to complete the two years condition?

3. If I stayed inside Canada 3 years (during the first five years), renew my pr, when I will be elligible for applying to the citizinship?

Thanks