+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

resettlement questions

monggomasus

Dec 13, 2004
Hi, everyone.

Just have a number of questions regarding landing and resettlement. Hope some of you can share your experiences regarding these issues. I am moving from the u.s. to canada around sept. and here are some of my resettlement and landing questions:
1. license

how long is the u.s. license valid and will it make it easier to obtain a Canadian one?

2. address for social security and health insurance
can you use a temporary address (e.g. a friend’s address) to apply for ss and then change it later when you get permanent housing?

3. proof of funds
what do you need to bring to prove proof of funds? Travelers cheque, cash, bank statement?

4. credit report

would it help f I get my u.s. credit report and use it to apply for credit cards or bank accounts in Canada?

5. car insurance

would it also help to get my u.s car insurance record to apply for Canadian car insurance?

6. references

do I need obtain letters of recommendations from past employers? Would it make it easier to get a job armed with these letters?

thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

monggomasus said:
Hi, everyone.

Just have a number of questions regarding landing and resettlement. Hope some of you can share your experiences regarding these issues. I am moving from the u.s. to canada around sept. and here are some of my resettlement and landing questions:
1. license

how long is the u.s. license valid and will it make it easier to obtain a Canadian one?

You have to check the province, but usually 90 days and can be exchanged for a provincal one, ensure that you proof of how many years you have been driving in the US as well as a letter from your insurance company as to how many claim free years.

2. address for social security and health insurance
can you use a temporary address (e.g. a friend’s address) to apply for ss and then change it later when you get permanent housing?

As long as your friends gets the cards and forwards them, you don't have to change address.

3. proof of funds
what do you need to bring to prove proof of funds? Travelers cheque, cash, bank statement?

Any of the above, but the bank statement has to be that day's and must be in convertible funds, ie dollars, pounds, euros.

4. credit report

would it help f I get my u.s. credit report and use it to apply for credit cards or bank accounts in Canada?

Probably won't help, but get it anyway,.

5. car insurance

would it also help to get my u.s car insurance record to apply for Canadian car insurance?

See above

6. references

do I need obtain letters of recommendations from past employers? Would it make it easier to get a job armed with these letters?

Yes.

thanks.
PMM