+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Research Assistant (NOC 4012)

Chen87

May 17, 2018
Hi everybody!
I am planning to create an EE profile soon, and I need your help.
Right now I am finishing my M.Sc degree (earth sciences), and the work experience I want to claim points for is for being a research assistant over the last 3 years.
As I understand, work experience as a research assistant does not count if it's done in Canada, but this is not my case.
What I am mostly concerned about is that I have no way to prove that I worked full-time for my supervisor. I receive a monthly stipend that restricts me from working off-campus (because it's above the minimum wage/hour according to 30hrs/week) so I can show that I received this money each month with an official document from the university and my supervisor can write for me a reference letter that includes the amount of money I received each month, my duties, the hours per week (although there's no way to prove it with other document) etc. as required.
I would be grateful if someone who was in my situation and his work experience counted/didn't count for the FSW stream.
Thanks!

SokieBia

Apr 26, 2018
Ask your professor to write a letter stating your job title, roles, the dates of work, hours per work, and possibly the stipend per month. That is it. I did the same. You will be fine. But I doubt if you can claim points for full time work because you were studying at the same time. So part time seems plausible. In that case you might get up to 1 year or 1 and half years of work experience if you took all your three years in grad school into consideration. So if you worked 20hrs per week from August to May (the school year), you are hitting 800hrs/year. So for three years, you get 2400hrs. So do the rest of the maths. IRCC considers 1500hrs as one year work experience if they were obtained continuously.

Chen87

May 17, 2018
Ask your professor to write a letter stating your job title, roles, the dates of work, hours per work, and possibly the stipend per month. That is it. I did the same. You will be fine. But I doubt if you can claim points for full time work because you were studying at the same time. So part time seems plausible. In that case you might get up to 1 year or 1 and half years of work experience if you took all your three years in grad school into consideration. So if you worked 20hrs per week from August to May (the school year), you are hitting 800hrs/year. So for three years, you get 2400hrs. So do the rest of the maths. IRCC considers 1500hrs as one year work experience if they were obtained continuously.
Thank you for replying SokieBia.
My work experience was continuous for 3 years, also during summers (after the school year), so even for 20hrs/week I get at least 2 years of experience. But, as you see, this is the problem here, there is not record of the amount of hours/week I worked.

SokieBia

Apr 26, 2018
You can check this from your contract document. If you don't have one, the professor could also confirm your weekly hours in the letter. They might call him to verify though.

sourav1

Aug 16, 2018
You can check this from your contract document. If you don't have one, the professor could also confirm your weekly hours in the letter. They might call him to verify though.
I have similar situation. I have one concern. Can I show more than 20 hours/week as a RA as I was doing RA under study permit where it was written that I cant work more than 20 hours?

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Hi everybody!
I am planning to create an EE profile soon, and I need your help.
Right now I am finishing my M.Sc degree (earth sciences), and the work experience I want to claim points for is for being a research assistant over the last 3 years.
As I understand, work experience as a research assistant does not count if it's done in Canada, but this is not my case.
What I am mostly concerned about is that I have no way to prove that I worked full-time for my supervisor. I receive a monthly stipend that restricts me from working off-campus (because it's above the minimum wage/hour according to 30hrs/week) so I can show that I received this money each month with an official document from the university and my supervisor can write for me a reference letter that includes the amount of money I received each month, my duties, the hours per week (although there's no way to prove it with other document) etc. as required.
I would be grateful if someone who was in my situation and his work experience counted/didn't count for the FSW stream.
Thanks!
I have similar situation. I have one concern. Can I show more than 20 hours/week as a RA as I was doing RA under study permit where it was written that I cant work more than 20 hours?

Hello guys, I worked as a research assistant for 3 years during my Undergrad degree. I was paid for that period. I have an appointment letter and reference letter from the professor. Although I did research related activities my professor didn't include my name in any of the publications.

So now I was wondering if I can claim points under NOC 4012 or not as I don't have my name written in any publications?

Reactions: thementor