+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Research assistant NOC 4012 in Canada

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Hello,

I have searched the forum for this topic issue, and found that the time spent as a research and teaching assistant during a 2 year full-time master program in Canada can be counted as a work experience only for the FSW program and not the CEC. However it will only makes me qualified for FSW with no additional CRS points for foreign work experience (in case I have no other foreign work experience). Is my understanding is true?

What I wanna know is do anyone have gone through this issue and received an ITA or PR? or do anyone know someone who did? My concern is it may be true but when I receive the ITA under FSW and provide documents to proof the RA work experience in Canada the immigration officer will refuse it!

Thank you and I would really appreciate any response and help.

Ezgi84

Feb 9, 2017
Istanbul
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-03-2017
ezio said:
Hello,

I have searched the forum for this topic issue, and found that the time spent as a research and teaching assistant during a 2 year full-time master program in Canada can be counted as a work experience only for the FSW program and not the CEC. However it will only makes me qualified for FSW with no additional CRS points for foreign work experience (in case I have no other foreign work experience). Is my understanding is true?

What I wanna know is do anyone have gone through this issue and received an ITA or PR? or do anyone know someone who did? My concern is it may be true but when I receive the ITA under FSW and provide documents to proof the RA work experience in Canada the immigration officer will refuse it!

Thank you and I would really appreciate any response and help.
The cic website states this;

Can I count my work as a teaching assistant toward the work experience requirement?

To be considered under the Canadian Experience Class:

You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student. Your work experience must have been gained while on a valid work permit, such as the Post-Graduation Work Permit.

You must have gained the equivalent amount of experience as someone who worked full-time for at least one year (1,560 hours) in the three years before you submit your Express Entry profile.

So if you had a work permit while you were an assistant, you should be fine as far as I understand......

.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Thank you Ezgi84. Yes I agree with you in case of CEC. However I'm considering applying under FSW not CEC.

Ezgi84

Feb 9, 2017
Istanbul
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-03-2017
ezio said:
Thank you Ezgi84. Yes I agree with you in case of CEC. However I'm considering applying under FSW not CEC.
You are welcome Ezio , I hope things will work out for you

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Correct, it will help your FSW eligibility but it will not grant you any CRS points.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
Correct, it will help your FSW eligibility but it will not grant you any CRS points.
Thank you DelPiero07 for your confirmation. Do you know someone who got PR this way? What I'm really afraid of is that it may be ok in the EE system and shows eligibility for FSW, but the immigration officer refuse to count it as a work experience eligibility for FSW and reject the application. Do you have any thoughts about this issue?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ezio said:
Thank you DelPiero07 for your confirmation. Do you know someone who got PR this way? What I'm really afraid of is that it may be ok in the EE system and shows eligibility for FSW, but the immigration officer refuse to count it as a work experience eligibility for FSW and reject the application. Do you have any thoughts about this issue?
The thing is, last year it would've been impossible to get an invitation without getting any points for work experience, so this type of situation is fairly new.

Yes, I've seen couple applicants who have applied with in such situation, but I do not know the outcome of their applications.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
The thing is, last year it would've been impossible to get an invitation without getting any points for work experience, so this type of situation is fairly new.

Yes, I've seen couple applicants who have applied with in such situation, but I do not know the outcome of their applications.
Yes I agree with you. let's see what will happen.

I have another question which I think you can help me with. I have a Masters degree from Canada and a Bachelor from my home country, do I have to make ECA for my Bachelor before submitting my EE profile? If not, would I lose some points in the skills transferability factors?

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
ezio said:
Yes I agree with you. let's see what will happen.

I have another question which I think you can help me with. I have a Masters degree from Canada and a Bachelor from my home country, do I have to make ECA for my Bachelor before submitting my EE profile? If not, would I lose some points in the skills transferability factors?
Any idea about this issue? Will I lose some points if I didn't include my bachelor? or they will consider the highest degree which is the Canadian Masters? Thanks.

sparkling123

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Hi Ezio,

I'm under the same situation. My work experience is only as a Research Assistant.
I applied for EE and got an invitation. I'm eligible under FSW but didn't get any points under the CRS. That's fine as I got enough points from language and education.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
sparkling123 said:
Hi Ezio,

I'm under the same situation. My work experience is only as a Research Assistant.
I applied for EE and got an invitation. I'm eligible under FSW but didn't get any points under the CRS. That's fine as I got enough points from language and education.
That's good news! Hopefully they will accept the RA experience when they asses your file without no issues. I wish you good luck.

yukiyuki111

Star Member
May 11, 2015
Hi, guys, I want to share some good news to your guys, I got my ppr request tonight. I got ITA on Dec 22,2016, and AoR on feb 02.
I claimed my CANADIAN working experience under NOC 4012, and I get extra points from that.
before I got my PPR, I really don't want to share my experience, cuz I am not so sure if I will success.
IF they didn't count my RA experience, my points will be 8 points lower than the minimum required points by then. so I think actually, they do accept the RA experience. I am not 100% guaranteed, at least for my case....
so good luck guys, I am going to sent my passport to cpp-ottawa tomorrow...

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
yukiyuki111 said:
Hi, guys, I want to share some good news to your guys, I got my ppr request tonight. I got ITA on Dec 22,2016, and AoR on feb 02.
I claimed my CANADIAN working experience under NOC 4012, and I get extra points from that.
before I got my PPR, I really don't want to share my experience, cuz I am not so sure if I will success.
IF they didn't count my RA experience, my points will be 8 points lower than the minimum required points by then. so I think actually, they do accept the RA experience. I am not 100% guaranteed, at least for my case....
so good luck guys, I am going to sent my passport to cpp-ottawa tomorrow...
Hi yukiyuki111,

Wow congratulations! :D and thank you for sharing these good news.
Did you applied on FSW or CEC? I believe your RA experience was on study permit, isn't it? so how did you get points for it? or did you had another NOC as your primary one? please share your experience

yukiyuki111

Star Member
May 11, 2015
ezio said:
Hi yukiyuki111,

Wow congratulations! :D and thank you for sharing these good news.
Did you applied on FSW or CEC? I believe your RA experience was on study permit, isn't it? so how did you get points for it? or did you had another NOC as your primary one? please share your experience
for sure, i am applied under CEC, it was under my study permit, and I on my GCMS NOTES i am qualified for both fsw and cec... i also had 1year work experience under my pgwp, our points with ra experience was 496, and without ra was 468, the cut line for our draw was 475.. so they definitely considered my ra experience.
When I submited my application, i also attached a LOE to explain, in order to keep my ra job i need to registered as a full time student, but i didn't take any course then.