+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

reschedule oath date- please help

amazing21

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
what??? that's a CRAZY IDEA TO POSTPONE YOUR OATH CEREMONY..instead of getting a new date ..you may get A RQ INSTEAD !

I ACTUALLY READ SOMEONE POSTING SOME EXPERIENCE LIKE THIS BEFORE……..DONT DO THAT..PAY WHATEVER YOU NEED TO REESCHEDULE YOUR FLIGHT AND ATTEND THE CEREMONY ...

OTTAWA2013

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
LANDED PR 2009
dpenabill said:
You may want to peruse the experience recently reported at the immigration.ca forum, at this link.

Short version:
There is also a very recent Federal Court decision regarding CIC's approach to deeming applications abandoned and terminating them. See the Karim Ayyad decision. What constitutes an acceptable reason for missing the scheduled oath is a key issue discussed in this case. (Applicant prevailed in the appeal, but it is CIC's position and approach that warrants careful attention.)

Isolated reports (even those reflected in official decisions) do not necessarily tell us how CIC is approaching most individuals in these situations, but it at least appears there is a significant risk that CIC is taking a draconian approach regarding foreign travel . . . that is, there is a risk that if the explanation or excuse is tied to foreign travel, CIC will find it is not an "acceptable" reason, deem the application abandoned, and terminate processing.

It may make a difference if the letter itself arrives at CIC before the date of the oath. I think in the two instances referred to above, the explanation did not get to CIC until after the scheduled oath.

I personally agree here about what depenabill is saying ......There is a very recent Federal Court decision regarding CIC's approach to deeming applications abandoned and terminating them so the officers were asked to CLOSE files for applicant's who are changing their ceremony dates or test dates or being not able to attend SO unless you call and explain yourself .. I'd say change your travel date for sure

Please Note it says on the Oath invitation the following:

IF you DO NOT attend this event at the above date, time, place, you will have to either

1- file a new application for citizenship

2- or convince the Judge you could not attend for a good reason within 60 days of the above date.

And would they consider your trip as a GOOD Reason ? I suggest that you call CIC and explain to them and maybe talk to 2 different agents to get a second opinion about it

I'm Not trying to scare you here but it's serious and the least damage would be delaying your ceremony for 7-8 more months

So if there is any chance that you could change your travel date that would be great and be safe rather than sorry

Hope it goes well, and best of luck to you!

aileenmae

Dec 3, 2015
I had to reschedule my oath (Nov 6, 2015) for I am going to visit my grandmother back home with my family. I wrote a letter explaining the trip and that I will come back in 2 weeks time. Gladly after 2 weeks they reschedule me for another oath with my family on Dec 4. So, I guess it depends on the letter explaining the situation.

When I called CIC call centre the first agent was not helpful at all, so I tried calling again in the afternoon and he was pleasant enough to say not to worry enough for my reason is valid for not taking the oath on the said date. Thank God I was able to go to my trip and came back with the new oath schedule.

Best of Luck to all

NVan

Nov 10, 2015
I took the test Aug 10, 2015. Since then I have been waiting for my oath date. As I will be on vacations Dec 15-Jan 5 I had to call CIC to let them know I won't be here. The person at CIC put a note in my file.
According to other people's oath dates I was pretty sure I was going to be scheduled for the second half of December. I hope I wont get in trouble for doing that.