+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requiring NOC Help: Project Coordinator - Construction

ikhouri

Jun 13, 2018
Good Day Everyone,

I am creating this thread to seek help/advise with regards to the NOC that is most suitable for my 1 year work experience in Canada. If you or anyone you know worked as a Project Coordinator for a construction company and applied for PR, your experience and insight would be of great help for me.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in Architecture (from abroad) and currently working as a project coordinator for a construction company. My duties include tasks related to construction administration as well as assisting the Senior Construction Manager with all management duties as required.

When approaching a "NOC expert", he suggested I use NOC Code 1221 - Administrative Officers. This NOC describes tasks of an office administrator which is completely different from what I do. I am involved in the administration/management of construction projects, not office duties. A lot of the things I do involve project management skills and project coordination with clients, trades & sub-trades. My job isn't an office administrative position.

I appreciate any help or advise I can receive relating to picking the right NOC for my skills and experience in Canada.

Thank you in advance.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
0711 – Construction managers
Index of titles
Example titles
  • Bridge and building construction manager
  • Bridge construction superintendent
  • Building construction general contractor
  • Building construction superintendent
  • Building materials branch director
  • Commercial construction manager
  • Construction assistant manager
  • Construction expediter
  • Construction general contractor
  • Construction general superintendent
  • Construction manager
  • Construction operations manager
  • Construction project co-ordinator
  • Construction project manager

ikhouri

Jun 13, 2018
0711 – Construction managers
Index of titles
Example titles
  • Bridge and building construction manager
  • Bridge construction superintendent
  • Building construction general contractor
  • Building construction superintendent
  • Building materials branch director
  • Commercial construction manager
  • Construction assistant manager
  • Construction expediter
  • Construction general contractor
  • Construction general superintendent
  • Construction manager
  • Construction operations manager
  • Construction project co-ordinator
  • Construction project manager
Thanks, but I was told by an immigration consultant that I may use 0711 only if I have managerial duties in a construction company - which may apply for senior project coordinators in a construction company. I was told it was risky to choose a 0 NOC for a job which isn't managerial. This is why I am seeking help from people who already applied and went through it all.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I don't think that's true as your exact title is one of the options. A coordinator is not a senior manager and that is acknowledged in the NOC.
Within the projects that you coordinate, do you plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of [the project] under the direction of a general manager or other senior manager. And do you do these things on your projects?
  • Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate construction projects from start to finish according to schedule, specifications and budget
  • Prepare and submit construction project budget estimates
  • Plan and prepare construction schedules and milestones and monitor progress against established schedules
  • Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers and subcontractors
  • Develop and implement quality control programs
  • Represent company on matters such as business services and union contracts negotiation
  • Prepare progress reports and issue progress schedules to clients
  • Direct the purchase of building materials and land acquisitions
  • Hire and supervise the activities of subcontractors and subordinate staff.
I haven't gone through it so I'm sorry if I don't qualify to advise you, but whatever your consultant said, either you had these job responsibilities or you didn't. And if you did, that's your NOC.

ikhouri

Jun 13, 2018
I don't think that's true as your exact title is one of the options. A coordinator is not a senior manager and that is acknowledged in the NOC.
Within the projects that you coordinate, do you plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of [the project] under the direction of a general manager or other senior manager. And do you do these things on your projects?
  • Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate construction projects from start to finish according to schedule, specifications and budget
  • Prepare and submit construction project budget estimates
  • Plan and prepare construction schedules and milestones and monitor progress against established schedules
  • Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers and subcontractors
  • Develop and implement quality control programs
  • Represent company on matters such as business services and union contracts negotiation
  • Prepare progress reports and issue progress schedules to clients
  • Direct the purchase of building materials and land acquisitions
  • Hire and supervise the activities of subcontractors and subordinate staff.
I haven't gone through it so I'm sorry if I don't qualify to advise you, but whatever your consultant said, either you had these job responsibilities or you didn't. And if you did, that's your NOC.
Your point is completely valid. I do at least half of these tasks under the direction and supervision of the senior construction manager. The only thing I'm worried about is that I do not hold a degree in civil engineering nor in construction management. I hold a bachelor's degree in Architecture, and a post-grad certificate in design management. I also don't have extensive construction experience to cover for the engineering degree.

Based on your experience, don't you think it could be a risk?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
The educational requirements need not be met. The only thing that is relevant is whether you performed all of the duties in the Lead Statement and most of the Main Duties, and can document that with a letter from your employer.

ikhouri

Jun 13, 2018
The educational requirements need not be met. The only thing that is relevant is whether you performed all of the duties in the Lead Statement and most of the Main Duties, and can document that with a letter from your employer.
A lot of these duties are managerial. Based on the list above, I have worked on 4 of the bullet tasks out of 9, and that's under the direction of the construction manager. Do you think it would be acceptable to use the Administrative Coordinator position, while my Employment Letter includes administrative tasks relating to projects?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I don't see how that's a problem as the Lead Statement clearly says: "under the direction of a general manager or other senior manager."
You started out complaining about how admin coordinator didn't fit your job.
"When approaching a "NOC expert", he suggested I use NOC Code 1221 - Administrative Officers. This NOC describes tasks of an office administrator which is completely different from what I do. I am involved in the administration/management of construction projects, not office duties. A lot of the things I do involve project management skills and project coordination with clients, trades & sub-trades. My job isn't an office administrative position."
What is it that you want this forum to do for you? Decide on your behalf?

ikhouri

Jun 13, 2018
I don't see how that's a problem as the Lead Statement clearly says: "under the direction of a general manager or other senior manager."
You started out complaining about how admin coordinator didn't fit your job.
"When approaching a "NOC expert", he suggested I use NOC Code 1221 - Administrative Officers. This NOC describes tasks of an office administrator which is completely different from what I do. I am involved in the administration/management of construction projects, not office duties. A lot of the things I do involve project management skills and project coordination with clients, trades & sub-trades. My job isn't an office administrative position."
What is it that you want this forum to do for you? Decide on your behalf?
LOL, first of all thank you for dealing with my anxiousness. My head is everywhere right now and I'm so desperate for answers. You advised me to go for it, while others are telling me to be careful since it falls under the "manager" code. But thinking about it, it really is the only NOC that falls under construction and matches what I do. And you're right, it does say "under the direction of a general manager or other senior manager", which is also correct in my case. I will be submitting my application today and will be picking 0711. Hopefully it works out for my benefit. Thank you again.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
It's critical that your work experience letter back you up on the duties you performed and to remind IRCC that although it's a management NOC, your job title is listed and the level of responsibility is mitigated accordingly. Good luck.

VMC647

Nov 24, 2020
Toronto
LOL, first of all thank you for dealing with my anxiousness. My head is everywhere right now and I'm so desperate for answers. You advised me to go for it, while others are telling me to be careful since it falls under the "manager" code. But thinking about it, it really is the only NOC that falls under construction and matches what I do. And you're right, it does say "under the direction of a general manager or other senior manager", which is also correct in my case. I will be submitting my application today and will be picking 0711. Hopefully it works out for my benefit. Thank you again.
Hey please let us know if you had success in your application using 0711! I'm in the same situation as you were!

chiragbatra

Nov 23, 2022
Hey! I would appreciate it if you could let me know if it all worked out for you. Almost in the same position. Thanks!!

Durel

Mar 16, 2024
Hey, I am in the exact same boat as you, can you please update the forum I am architect as well and working as project coordinator.

Reactions: Itwasnotme

Em-em22

Jul 24, 2019
Hello all! I have same NOC duties Project Coordinator.. but I work in manufacturing- making heavy duty office furnitures. Can I use this NOC? Please help!

Does it fall under “They are employed by residential, commercial and industrial construction companies and by construction departments of companies OUTSIDE the construction industry.” THANK YOU!